Gone

Why did you/want to be a furry?

Someone I met through school told me about it, highlighting what seemed to be all the negative sides first o.o

I joined mainly out of boredom and wanting to meet new people.

Edited by Mylo Fox

I would blame continuous exposure to the internet since I was young, and me and my brother playing games when we were little, our 'characters' slowly evolved into anthromorphs. Since then it's stuck and I haven't  complained a bit., I have recently got back into it however because someone found an old drawing of mine, it kicked me back into the community, I guess.

Guest German Shepherd

to be honest I hate being Human. I would give almost anything to be an anthro/feral animal. As long as i can choose the animal.

Guest rouka

the whole idea just sounded awesome to me...can thank being an anime fan for that, how i started.

Guest ZalanDarkbane

Pretty interesting topic, For me it's not about any deep dissatisfaction with being human, but a desire to some days, just shuck off the responsibility of modern human life and do something simpler.  For example, when leaving for work, seeing my cat just lazing in a sunny spot on the floor or mashed into his box by the window just absorbing some rays, I sometimes think 'dang, I wish I could just blow off work and experience that level of comfort and lack of responsibility' He's got everything he needs in life to be happy, no stress, no worries, an ever full food and water bowl, tons of toys,someone to play with.  Or seeing an eagle or osprey in the sky thinking how nice and relaxing it would be to just soar around for hours on end just riding from one thermal to another, just looking around and only making very minor movements to control your flight for a huge chunk of the day.

Transformation fiction is also something I greatly enjoy, people turning into animals or furries, into objects, into different people due to whatever means, body suits, magic, nanobots, whatever.  Just to experience life in a completely different way than you are used to normally.  I don't remember the site, but years ago, when I first discovered the whole furry subculture, I found an online archive of furry stories and I pretty much read the entire archive of the transformation stories, probably was several hundred all said and done.  

Which always brings up the interesting question, what species of Fur am I? to which I never have had a good solid answer, Shapeshifter would probably be the most sense, being able to take on whatever form you wanted to or needed to to have an advantage in any situation would be excellent.  If you wanted to fly, something avian, to relax, something feline, if it came time to fight, something reptilian or ursine.  I do know that in games, when the opportunity presents itself I'm usually some sort of lizardman, Iksar, argonian, lizard mage in Rifts (very forgiving GM and very toned down version of the npc for those that know of one)

I just sort of fell into being what people consider a furry naturally.

Ever since I was little I've liked both the animals that exist or have existed as well as mythological creatures, and the very first character I created to represent myself was an intelligent winged similodon. I've taken the role of a shapeshifter in my dreams since I was small as well, and have changed into many differnt creatures. I imagine these things are what pushed me to finding out what furries were when I gained my on laptop a few years ago. That and I figured that once people saw several of my characters they'd assume I was one, and I wanted to know what exactly was associated with the label. I was actually surprised how much of me was considered odd.

Looking around the community there are a lot of neat aspects: The personas, the art, the RPs, and the costumes. I've been very impressed by some of the things people have created!

As for finding myself at this particular site again, and again I figure it's because while I'm happy being human something keeps tugging at my mind to try transforming into one of the forms I've taken while dreaming. I'm a bit surprised I'm actually excited at the prospect. Though it's a happy sort of surprise.

Whatch out, im about to get pretty deep here. As long as i remember, i've had dreams of becoming an animal, ussually a wolf. I didnt really know what they were about, but there was always a recurring character, a she-wolf with deep green eyes that you could loose yourself in. I always kept these dreams to myself. Then, i got "the talk", but i still didnt link the feelings i had as sexual ones for quite a while, and when i did, i felt strange, out of place. Whilst browsing a picasa gallery online i ran into one of goldenwolf's paintings, black gold. The way that the wolf in that painting looked into my eyes, it reminded me of the wolf in my dreams. So, i looked more into goldenwolf, then i found out about the fandom. Some parts of it i like, but others i was kind of grossed out by. I stayed on the outer fringes of the fandom until recently becuase i've moved out for colledge. Now im starting to know the fandom better, as most furries, contrary to popular belief, are normal, if a bit nerdy, people. And most of them are in the same boat I am, we never really became furries, we just were

Hm i got exposed by cartoons, games and animes that showed characters that looked anthromorphic or had animal features. when i played games i preferred playing as an anthro-like race instead of a human race because i was so interested in them, they had animal features yet they could live like humans do, at some point i discovered the furry fandom and talked a lot with a fellow furry who was a black wolf anthro as fursona. at some point i joined furaffinity as i developed a transformation fetish on DA and wanted to see more adult content of it. so the idea of transforming and being an anthro really attracts me in multiple ways. i consider myself a shapeshifter since i prefer different anthro species from time to time to be or just look at.

Hm i got exposed by cartoons, games and animes that showed characters that looked anthromorphic or had animal features. when i played games i preferred playing as an anthro-like race instead of a human race because i was so interested in them, they had animal features yet they could live like humans do, at some point i discovered the furry fandom and talked a lot with a fellow furry who was a black wolf anthro as fursona. at some point i joined furaffinity as i developed a transformation fetish on DA and wanted to see more adult content of it. so the idea of transforming and being an anthro really attracts me in multiple ways. i consider myself a shapeshifter since i prefer different anthro species from time to time to be or just look at.

Heh, I've found myself having ever more a tendency towards playing games as an anthro too.

For me it was like cancer; slow, gradual exposure to certain elements over a long period of time building up until it became malignant.  The time that I'd say it became "malignant" would probably be sometime during May earlier this year.  I cannot recall what spiked my interest, but beforehand, I was only going on FA when I was utterly bored.  Now, I usually log into FA twice daily, along with certain other sites (this one included) on a daily basis.  Sometimes I'll even *gasp* draw furry stuff.

Guest Urtagh

I got into it through the Otherkin community when I was younger. To someone in middle school with low self esteem, the idea of being "special" in some way was pretty appealing. I don't put much truck with them now, but the idea of transformation and being something else is still something that is interesting. I still mostly lurk, but I guess I'm a closet furry.

Guest shye

For me I liked the idea of tapping into a kind of primal instinct. That and I've always wanted to have a tail :3

Well, even though the internet is full of pictures, stories, and whatnot, and even though it wasn't really new to me, I was actually introduced to the furry community because of hypnosis. I've been interested in the concept of hypnosis ever since I was a kid, and when I found that there's such a thing as TF hypnosis later on, that's the thing that got me interested. That was about... I think 6 years ago?..

I didn't actually 'enter' the community, but was still interested in the concept. The thing that actually got me to want to join is... well, I'm not sure, but I think it's because of constant exposure to the fandom since then.

Guest Gunblazer

Hmm...I suppose having role models that were furry helped influence it. One of my influences, growing up, was Miles Prower. As for why, it's mainly personal issues I had growing up, making me relate to the fox. I didn't really start getting interested in the furry fandom until I was around 13 or 14, but that had a real big help in making me want to be a furry. It's probably also why my fursona is a fox.

Guest Finrin

Don't really know, i never really decided to be a furry. Always have been (as far as i remember).

• Like 1

It was strange, at a very young age, I was fascinated with transformation, (I assume it was always into animals) in movies or tv (if the episodes replayed) I would watch the entire thing just to get to the transformation, it was a kind of free thing that I guess I have always been drawn to, and I don't understand why, at that young of age (about 6 I imagine). Even growing up playing Pokémon (cards) with friends I would ponder about becoming one, and they would think I was out of it, but I thought everyone thought this, I didn't know better.

Transformation wasn't the entire thing I liked, there are object and person-to-person transformations, and I didn't like those. I always settled on the anthro before I know there was a community that thought the same. I guess cartoons from the past made the thought clearer and acceptable (at least for furry art) but I guess anthro has been in history for many generations, and I just happen be a part of it. I am thinking there must be some kind of genetic or early developing draw to the anthro.

I was drawn to the furry fandom because I was drawn to the imagery and romance of being a wolf.

The ending to wolf's rain was so breathtakingly beautiful in my childhood that I felt inspired to become one.

When I entered the fandom, I felt like it clicked, and that this is where I belonged- and it was the first time that I felt any kind of acceptance for who I was in my life.

It meant a lot to me, and while I do question it sometimes, I feel like the fandom has given more to me than it has taken from my life.

• Like 1

It just seems normal for me. Some people like sports starting at a young age, other prefer the arts, other computers. I just enjoy things that involve anthros.

Honestly my childhood was messed up, I was brought up in a severely Conservative-Religious household. I found that in my quest to open up to new things I was grasping at straws for a spirit animal (fursona). I should have realized earlier when my teacher in Creative Writing did a guided meditation (mass hypnosis basically) on how to find your inner self and I saw that the inner me was furry and feminine, and I still thought I was straight as an arrow.   :lol:

Then I stumbled onto Fchan first, then e621.net, then Furaffinity and the rest is history. 

I would't consider myself to be involved in the slightest in the furry community (not my jazz, being gay is enough) but I would consider myself to be a true furry, not because of some ulterior motive, but because I saw me, the real me, only once, but I've held onto that image for a lifetime, and when I look at myself in the mirror, that's who I wanna be. 

May as well jump in and answer this, too :3

I grew up exposed to such things as Peter Rabbit, Redwall, the Silver Brumby, all manner of things with talking animals, whether they looked feral or not. I guess I just never really fell out of that. Add to that a love of fantasy worlds and fluffy things, why would I not want to be part of the furry fandom? :3

Guest Psidra

I mainly became one because of the ability to be with people who have similar ideals and things in common.

Got dragged here by Lion King.

I mainly became one because of the ability to be with people who have similar ideals and things in common.

Got dragged here by Lion King.

That guy's pretty funny.  Say hi to him for me the next time you're in IRC.

I have always been a furry someway or another, it is just that I didn't really realize it until now.  The first anthro animal I remember seeing was Sonic the Hedgehog, and that was when I was around 4 or 5 years old.  In fact, I am pretty sure Sonic the Hedgehog was my very first video game I have ever owned/played, period.  So I basically "grew up" with Sonic, watched the cartoons on TV, played the games, even got a comic or two.  I also watched a lot of cartoons, and during the 90's there were a lot of great ones that had anthro animals in it, like Talespin, Darkwing Duck, SWAT Cats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc.  Movies that starred anthro or talking animals always appealed more to me than movies with plain old people, movies like The Lion King, Disney's Robin Hood, Lady and the Tramp, All Dogs go to Heaven, etc.  Another thing is that I was a big fan of the old Animorphs series of novels.  That introduced me to the concept of transformation, and given that the characters could still "talk" in animal form, they were anthro in a way, even if they morphed into feral animals.  Also Animorphs introduced me to taurs, with an alien-like taur race known as the Andalites.  

After I met my best friend, I figured out he was into anthro animals like I was.  He would always doodle them in his notebook in high school.  I loved the artwork, but had no idea how big the fandom was until I decided to research it out of curiosity back in late January.  I had heard of some of the stigmas associated with furries, but I knew those were blown out of proportion and wanted to figure out what it was all about.  That led to me watching con videos, fursuiting videos, dance competitions, and discovering Fur Affinity.net.  I knew that I felt at home in this community.

So yeah I officially wanted to become a furry to be able to express myself and my creativity, meet new friends, and really discover more about myself in general.  Realizing that I had technically always been a furry, it made me feel really special and good inside to know that there were other people who shared the same interests as me.

Really, to tell the truth, I think really just kind-of slid into being furry. I was younger (about 14) and began to like anthros and all that stuff. By the time I learned what furry even meant (And I say that loosely, conidering it's difficult to get a straight answer from most people), I knew that was already me. ^_^