Sign in to follow this  
Christa Mactire

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Anyone watch Adventures in Space and Time? For the uninitiated, it was a feature-length drama about the creation of Doctor Who. My word, it was something spectacular. The acting was so good that I completely forgot that William Hartnell was not actually William Hartnell! David Bradley put in one of the best performances I have every seen. It was also very moving, I am somewhat teary.

I'll have to watch it! I bought the 50th season pass on iTunes, so it'll be all ready for me to download. Glad to hear you liked it, Esqui! I love a good review.

And speaking of... happy 50th, Doctor Who!

Yep, fifty years ago, a man who lived with his granddaughter in a scrapyard abducted two school teachers and vanished. And we're still here!

Indeed we are, a week later! What did everyone think of the special?

I personally adored it. The nods to the past and future were very sweet, Tennant returned to the role as if he never left, John Hurt's War Doctor made an excellent addition to the lineup... I especially liked how the first minute echoed the beginning of An Unearthly Child. But most of all? The Doctor's newest quest has been revealed, and it's something we'll probably be dealing with in Series 8.

And Series 8, of course, means Peter Capaldi. But before even that, Eleven (yes, I still call him that!) has to regenerate. And he will in less than a month. I'm approaching this year's Christmas outing with the same amount of slight dread that I approached the End of Time: It's another episode of Who, but the Doctor regenerates at the end. And considering how I've more or less fallen in love with Eleven... it's going to be a tearjerker, to be sure.

So here we are... less than 24 hours from now, Matt Smith will regenerate into Peter Capaldi. It's going to be a wonderful, if bittersweet, Christmas.

But all I can say is, goodbye Raggedy Man, and thank you Matt Smith for being one of the best Doctors in fifty years of Who. This thread began with you, but it shall not end with you! Geronimo!

Guest shye

I'm pretty excited about Peter Capaldi being the next doctor. Should be interesting to say the least.

I am dubious of the new doctor (as I'm sure is every fan every time) but going with a named actor people all seem to know has already caused a million re-captioned images and jokes around the meme blogs... I really hope he can surprise us all.

Okay! The run-up to series 8 continues! Over the last month we've had filming reports coming in revealing several things, such as the return of the Clockwork Droids from Series 2, and the potential aural return of Matt Smith as the Doctor. if true, it'd set records for being the fastest cameo appearance by a former Doctor since leaving the role.  We've also had a first look at Capaldi's official costume, a dark blue affair with a red-lined jacket and black boots:

http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/doctorwho-capaldi.jpg

I call it Modernist Pertwee!

And just last night it has been announced that Samuel Anderson will be joining the cast in series 8, playing Daniel Pink, one of Clara's colleagues at Coal Hill.

And because the Doctor's history appears to be remarkably circular, here's what we've got so far: Peter Capaldi and William Hartnell were 55 when cast as the Doctor. Two of Hartnell's companions were teachers at Coal Hill, just as Clara and Daniel are now. And both men were the first Doctors in their respective regeneration cycles.

Finally, a random thought: Wouldn't it be nice if William Russell appeared sometime in the series, and met Capaldi's Doctor?

Goodness! Has it really been four years since The Eleventh Hour? Yes it has! It was on 3 April 2010 that the world was introduced to then-new Doctor Matt Smith. And now, four years later he's moved on and been replaced by Peter Capaldi, a man who will leave his own mark on the show, just as the others have.

Funnily enough, Matt's been doing the convention tour here in the States. Last weekend he was in Louisville, Kentucky and this weekend sees him in my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri for our own Comic Con! Sadly, I have no money to go and see him, but I live in hope that one day, we will cross paths. Better luck next year!

Here's the important bit in GIF form:

tumblr_n62e6xpI8n1srb4t5o1_500.gif

And in more news...

Ladies and gentlemen, the BBC has confirmed that Series 8 will begin on 23 August, with a feature-length episode called 'Deep Breath.'

They've also released a trailer: 

Edited by TimeKitsune

Hm...I don't know if it has been done, but The Doctor...no that's been done before...I can't really think of anything. I prefer to see how things go because it helps with the doctor's fun and surprising arrivals.

A full length trailer this time, aired during the World Cup on BBC1. Two words: Dark, atmospheric.

I do like the new lighting in the console room. Very different to when we saw it last!

And as for: "I'm the Doctor. I've lived for over two thousand years. I've made many mistakes. It's time I did something about that."
"Where are we going?"

"Into darkness." 

Excellent little exchange there! And it made me think of the twelfth Star Trek film.

Edited by TimeKitsune

Series 8 has come and gone! What did we all think?

For me, it was simply one of the most well-written, consistent series since Matt's first, all the way back in 2010. Bringing the Master back as Missy was inspired, and it was an absolute joy to see Clara expanded upon and develop her relationship with the Twelfth Doctor. And as for that cameo in Deep Breath? Very much appreciated from this grieving fan!

And of course, there's the Doctor himself. After thirteen episodes I've grown to really like Capaldi's Doctor, though Matt will always take first place. He's taken the Doctor to darker places, and in my opinion has done a better job of it than David Tennant ever managed. Furthermore, the Doctor has changed too, now that he is free from his survivor's guilt regarding Gallifrey. Capaldi's back-to-basics, pragmatic approach is working well so far, and I look forward to seeing where the future takes our current TARDIS team.

Oh, and it's the 10th anniversary of the revival this year! Here's to 10 more wonderful years, and to Russell T. Davies, Christopher Eccleston, and Billie Piper for bringing back the Doctor in such a fantastic (ha) way.

So seeing as this is the doctor who thread i might as well ask here, Ive seen bits and pieces of doctor who  and i am really liking it so my question is what doctor should I start watching first any suggestions?