Sign in to follow this  
Christa Mactire

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread

I guess it seems kinds of silly, making a thread now when the next season (or series) doesn't start until spring, but I figured, "We need a Doctor Who thread!" So here we are, with a question: Now that Eleven has had his first full season, what do we all think of him? Me, I think he's great. I was sad when Ten regenerated, and I remember watching The Eleventh Hour, not yet having accepted Smith as the Doctor. Then we get to the scene where he's standing on the roof, talking to the Atraxi. And then he said "Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically, run." Then the Atraxi ran. That's when I was convinced. So then I watched it again, to see what I missed while mourning Ten. And I liked what I saw. So in that timeframe, I had been swept into Eleven's camp, and I'm still there, 13 episodes (counting the Christmas special) later.

Guest Shyanne

hrm i never have watched a single episode of this show..was it good?

BLASPHEMY SHYANNE.

Well, not really. But it's still an awesome program. (No matter what the purists that only like the old series say.)

Saw the latest Christmas Special recently. It was weird, and kinda sweet, but I was hoping for just a little bit of action besides a turbulent ship.

Also I will agree that "Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically, run." is an amazing line.

"Didn't anyone ever

tell you? There's one thing you

never put in a trap if you're

smart. If you value your

continued existence, if you

have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing

you never, ever put in a trap. Me."

Guest TashkentFox

BLASPHEMY SHYANNE.

Well, not really. But it's still an awesome program. (No matter what the purists that only like the old series say.)

Feel free to come over to The Anorak Zone and argue your point with us (just so you know, I'm Section_Leader_Shaw over there), I don't think you'll win. NuWho is an abomination that should never have been made, it rapes the memory of William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Sydney Newman, Terry Nation, Robert Holmes and all the other people who worked on the proper show who have since departed from this mortal coil.

Saw the latest Christmas Special recently. It was weird, and kinda sweet, but I was hoping for just a little bit of action besides a turbulent ship.

Also I will agree that "Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically, run." is an amazing line.

I feel so sorry for Matt Smith. He's a great actor, but has to work with such terrible material.

I'm well aware that I'll never win my argument. I've seen the way people talk about their favourite old series. (It's just how I talk of how the original Digimon series trump 5 and 6.)

It's either a nostalgia thing, or a generation thing. The new series was written for the new generation - and "we" like it. The old series was written for the old generation - and "they" prefer it.

Huh. I always thought it was just case of whichever got to you first. You know, like books vs. movies, dubs vs. originals, classics vs. remakes. That usually seems to be the case, at least as far as I've seen (I italicize usually due to there being outliers like Clash of the Titans, or, dare I say it, 4Kids).

Back on topic, I personally find myself being a fan of both. I stay current as I can with the revived series, and I'm gradually plugging along with the classic series (One, Ian, and Barbara just picked up Vicki and are currently in Rome. At least that's where I'm at in it right now).

Guest TashkentFox

I'm well aware that I'll never win my argument. I've seen the way people talk about their favourite old series. (It's just how I talk of how the original Digimon series trump 5 and 6.)

It's either a nostalgia thing, or a generation thing. The new series was written for the new generation - and "we" like it. The old series was written for the old generation - and "they" prefer it.

It's neither, I never watched Doctor Who when it was still being made (mostly on account of not being born until 1990, a year after the BBC finally pulled the plug). I didn't become a fan until 2002 and I only got three years of enjoyment out of it until NuWho came along. It's not a generational thing, I know of complete buffoons twice my age who are obsessed with NuWho. NuWho is an odd hybrid of sitcom, soap opera, bad science fiction and a brass band concert (I hope Delia Derbyshire's ghost will torment Murray Gold until his dying day), the resultant mess appeals only to the lowest common demoninator. It is little more than intellectual vandalism in my humble opinion.

Guest TashkentFox

Huh. I always thought it was just case of whichever got to you first. You know, like books vs. movies, dubs vs. originals, classics vs. remakes. That usually seems to be the case, at least as far as I've seen (I italicize usually due to there being outliers like Clash of the Titans, or, dare I say it, 4Kids).

I've always seen straight through remakes, cast them aside as inferior products and went on the hunt for the real thing.

Back on topic, I personally find myself being a fan of both. I stay current as I can with the revived series, and I'm gradually plugging along with the classic series (One, Ian, and Barbara just picked up Vicki and are currently in Rome. At least that's where I'm at in it right now).

Revived? Don't you mean zombified? NuWho is a veritable Frankenstein's Monster, made out of bits of other things in a vain attempt to recreate something that it will never be.

*overload of negative metaphors portraying overemphasised distaste*

... no words.

I'm just going to... not start an argument. I have versions of programs or like that I prefer over the other, but in the very least I try to be mature about it. I will just say that "lowest common denominator" is much more fitting towards game shows and reality TV. Doctor Who can't be that bad that you think it only appeals to dim-witted, TV addicted pre-teens.

Argh, I sound like I'm trying to argue anyway. *shuts up*

Guest TashkentFox

... no words.

I'm just going to... not start an argument. I have versions of programs or like that I prefer over the other, but in the very least I try to be mature about it. I will just say that "lowest common denominator" is much more fitting towards game shows and reality TV. Doctor Who can't be that bad that you think it only appeals to dim-witted, TV addicted pre-teens.

Yes it can, pick a Nu episode at random, then watch An Unearthly Child, Inferno or The Horror of Fang Rock. I consider NuWho to be little more than high budget fan fiction in comparison.

What's this? The beginnings of a flame war?

No, Timewolf, it's not.

Tashkent, I'm sorry to hear that you don't like it. Frankly, I find the new series entertaining and that's all I demand of it. But de gustibus non disputandum est, as it is said. Whatever floats your boat.

That's good, then. Anyway...

If you were to write a story for the show, what would it be about?

The Doctor. Doing something. :D

Guest TashkentFox

That's good, then. Anyway...

If you were to write a story for the show, what would it be about?

I would write the last ever Doctor Who story, involving the Doctor in his thirteenth life captured, tortured and eventually killed by the Republican Security Forces on behalf of the Republic of Great Britain, who have discovered how to travel between dimensions in their desperate efforts to escape their dead world.

It's based on the novel The Face of the Enemy.

You know what, if you really don't like it, get out of the thread. Because as far as I can tell there are four people who like, or are perfectly fine with the new series. Four to one.

Back on track, I honestly can't think of an idea for an episode. Nothing that probably already hasn't been done.

Guest TashkentFox

You know what, if you really don't like it, get out of the thread. Because as far as I can tell there are four people who like, or are perfectly fine with the new series. Four to one.

I'm the only one with a broken heart though.

I would either do something subtle and simple or a giant fangasm wreck. Here's my idea for the latter.

Mysterious new companion uses TARDIS overrides to initiate Third Impact muddle the Time Vortex, making a pretty purple spot that will end all existence (red + blue, past + future).

The companion then turns into orange goo from unknown 4-dimensional stresses. The Doctor travels to the spot, which is a mashup of stuff from the show's storage warehouse. Insert analogies comparing the TARDIS to a cheese grater and the process of fixing this mess to brewing tea. He picks up some Time Lords ignorant of the real timeline and feels rather sad about the last Time War. They separate the past and future by doing the opposite of what the mysterious one did with lots of TARDISes. However, as they are dead or sealed away in the real timeline, they disappear one by one. The last rages and uses the end of the fused vortex to go back to when this all began, becoming the mysterious companion. As the fabric of time is still weak, the Doc doesn't give chase and resolves to never mention this again.

Okay, that was actually pretty bad.

Alternatively, a story where the Doc and companion completely miss a planet-wide conspiracy, which collapses just by his presence and myth.

Guest TashkentFox
Alternatively, a story where the Doc and companion completely miss a planet-wide conspiracy, which collapses just by his presence and myth.

I cannot abide by all the "Doctor as some mythical being" crap the fanboys who write for NuWho keep injecting into their remake.

My idea stretches out over a full season.

In episode one, the Doctor gains a new companion and a new enemy, a race of bipedal wolf creatures (with the ability to shapeshift from wolf to human and back again) called Lykosians, of whom only a few are left. At the end of the season, the Doctor's companion reveals that

The Alpha, (the leader of the Lykosian race) who has been missing since episode one, is actually him. The companion then says that he only traveled with the Doctor to gain his trust, then reveal himself and imprison the Doctor so he can't get in the way when they fly to Earth with the intent of transforming all 6 billion people into Lykosians at once, allowing the race a fresh start. The Doctor is dragged into a cell, where he is kept for several days and given only bread and water. The Alpha then summons the Doctor to his den, where he promises the Doctor his freedom in exchange for the secrets of time travel, so they can grow their own TARDISes and conquer the rest of the universe. Naturally, the Doctor refuses, and the Alpha attacks him. In the ensuing battle he is bitten, and after somehow defeating the Alpha he staggers back to the TARDIS, trying to keep himself from transforming. The last shot of the episode is a closeup of the Doctor as he lays on the TARDIS floor, looks up, and growls at the viewer.