Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JouninJ

Favorite Movie?

JesseTV   

Oh man Inglorious Basterds! How could I forget about that movie. I'm going to have to buy that tomorrow and watch it, along with Forrest Gump. Woot for no work!

You need invite me over. I haz Forrest Gumps on the VHS. Old skool.

Guest Tigertobee   
Guest Tigertobee

Oh dear also forgot to add some movies, Mononoke Hime and Nausicaä of the valley of the wind.

Loved them both. :>

Guest Allir   
Guest Allir

Inglorious Basterds was Great, so what if it was lacking in action, the dialouge was great!!!

also, i forgot zombieland :w00t:

Guest MasterBlade   
Guest MasterBlade

Hmm, mine have to be Monty Python's Holy Grail, and Sweeney Todd.

Just can't get enough of that priest.

Guest Unintentional   
Guest Unintentional

I don't have a favorite...there's just so many of them

furste   

for me at the moment it is the men who stare at goats.

after watching the documentary about goatlab and major reading on the first earth battaleon, i went to see the movie.

it is pretty good with lots of dry witty humour.

Guest Riobyth   
Guest Riobyth

The Land Before Time will always be a favorite of mine.  But more recently, I'd say my favorite would be How to Train Your Dragon.  And off on a tangent here, any movies/shows with Mr. Bean is great as well.

Kerel   

Huh...how's that for chaos magic? I mention Sky High, couple of weeks later it's aired again on BBC 1! Now if only I could do that with anime series...

Speaking of anime, I'm gonna have to vote in favour of Nausicaa but slightly against Princess Mononoke.  No, not because of the voicework (the French version was downright impressive, and it's the only thing I got), but because of the gratuitous deaths. 

Okay, iron kills spirits, that's a given.  that's not even a spoiler for the film, it's a registered occult fact, and the reason horseshoes are supposed to be lucky.  That said, why on Earth would an entire forest lack a more advanced medical practitioner than 'breathe life into everything'?

Honestly, if you ever watch that film, let me warn you: a lot of the death looks frighteningly avoidable.  Seriously.  If the guy just shoots one his super-arrows in the right place, he'd propel the thing right out, and the one who spends most of the film dying, growling and lamenting her fate would be saved.  And what is up with the swines? How is it that only one lord shows up when a god has been killed and not one medical-inclined spirit thinks about joining him? For all the bravado about going to war and being ancient and wise, there's an awful lot of stupidity involved.  Tactics.  Humans use it, spirits should be doing it better. 

Great movie, though.  Just don't like the ending.  Well, the thing right before the ending, right when the final showdown starts.  You know what I mean. 

Guest Navigator   
Guest Navigator

Wow. So many great movies in this thread. I'd forgotten about Dragonheart. Crank 1 and 2 were absolute madness, and I mean that in a good way. I still miss my old tape of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and if I had it, the swamp castle part would probably be worn out by now. And there's so many others here too.

My favorites, though... While I don't have a single favorite, there are some that I just have to re-watch over and over again.

The Dark Knight had my favorite portrayal of the Joker character, even after Mark Hamil's excellent voicework, and as far as I'd asy, they're tied for best Joker for me.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy, extended. Does that need an explanation?

And lastly, since I also like terrible movies, campy flicks, and MST3K, Army of Darkness (good campy) and Street Fighter the movie (BAD campy).

The godawful Jean-Claude Van Damme SF movie, not the even worse (in my opinion) Legend of Chun-Li. Weird, I know, but I even memorized half of the dialogue from that turkey.

JesseTV   

The godawful Jean-Claude Van Damme SF movie, not the even worse (in my opinion) Legend of Chun-Li. Weird, I know, but I even memorized half of the dialogue from that turkey.

Am I the only one who kind of liked that Chun-Li movie?

Guest Navigator   
Guest Navigator

Well, as far as Legend of Chun-Li goes, I have to admit, I did get a few laughs at the expense of the plot, but I would only recommend it to people who know up front that this is not Street Fighter up front. That's really my biggest fault with the movie, is that it was a bigger departure from the source material than its hokey predecessor. It actually isn't terrible, just terribly mis-packaged.

Also, Favorite foreign film (how could I forget this?!) is Dark Portals: The Chronicles of Vidocq.

EDIT: Legend of Chun-Li is neither sequel nor spin-off, I use the term "predecessor" loosely.

Guest Volfen Stu   
Guest Volfen Stu

I must say that my new favourite is Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World!!!!

lol not only is it based off of a comic in Canada, but its also a freaking hilarious film.

Guest shiftshaper   
Guest shiftshaper

Sernity. After the closure of fire fly the sequal was needed.

Guest Implode   
Guest Implode

Some of my favorites include the following:  Star Wars IV, V, VI, Back to the Future Trilogy, The Matrix, Dark Knight, uhhh....and....others that I can't think of.

Guest Riobyth   
Guest Riobyth

Oh man how could I have forgotten Scott Pilgrim vs. The World?  I had just seen it a couple weeks ago!  I haven't read any of the comics, but the movie was the best I've seen in a long while.

Skytower   

Oh man how could I have forgotten Scott Pilgrim vs. The World?  I had just seen it a couple weeks ago!  I haven't read any of the comics, but the movie was the best I've seen in a long while.

Ditto. Inception and Scott Pilgrim were the best movies I saw this summer, although I've been putting off Toy Story 3 for some reason.

Guest MasterBlade   
Guest MasterBlade

although I've been putting off Toy Story 3 for some reason.

I saw it. The end was morbidly depressing.

Guest Ranyth   
Guest Ranyth

Happy Gilmore is probably my favorite. It just makes me laugh every time. Especially the scene where he is at the mini-golf place and he can't get past the clown.

As for favorite genre, I would have to say comedy. Unfortunately, I haven't seen too many good ones recently...