Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Black Tiger

What kind of music do you listen to?

Guest Music_Fox   
Guest Music_Fox

@Shadow Phoenix: I’m completely digging the Godot. Thanks for posting!

@Neo 2.3 Hylan-May: Thanks for introducing me to Tesseract. Normally I’m not much of a metal fan (at all) but it seems like these guys pay attention to well...music more-so than some other metal bands I’ve heard of. A lot of interesting use of rhythm and not just constant screaming vocals.

Anyways...

Classical stuff I like (I listen to Jazz and Indie also, but I’ll post that stuff later):

Messiaen: Turangalila-Symphonie, Mvt. 5 –

Respighi: Pines of Rome, Mvt. 1 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYYzDpuoGMI

Samuel Barber: Piano Concerto, Mvt. 2 –

Messager: Solo de Concours –

Bucolique for Clarinet and Piano –

Bartok: Contrasts, Mvt. 3 –

Guest score_under   
Guest score_under

I'm still obsessed with Machinae Supremacy at the moment.

Here's a nice variety:

- Heavy on chiptune

- No chiptune

- Dragons!

- A love song is never complete without Japanese. Obviously.

Insidious and

are also worth checking out in my opinion. And so is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slx4FM2mo2A.

And

Indiscriminate Murder Is Counter-Productive

but that will stay in your head for years if you listen to it more than once.

If I don't stop here I will cause TL;DR /(TL;DL?).

And I know you're going to listen to Fury first, just because of the description.

Guest score_under   
Guest score_under

Youtube is acting up for me at the moment, so I can't get a link, but look up Skrillex.

I did, and the comments on their videos remind me of something that has nagged at me for a long time: why do people use 'dirty' to describe music? Soon that's going to be as versatile a word as the F-word.

il7GaW.png

...not just my imagination, is it?

Guest Meric   
Guest Meric

lol to above post, i pretty well listen to everything but conrty and metal, or bieber, it could range from muse to modest mouse even mumford and sons, i think i even have trudas in there somewhere.

Guest Music_Fox   
Guest Music_Fox

And now for jazz:

Michael Brecker plays on an EWI (electronic wind instrument):

Michael Brecker plays Tumbleweed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71JGh_q2ook

(yeah he's my favorite sax player)

Mingus Big band plays Moanin':

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Sing, sang, sung:

Maria Schneider Orchestra - Journey Home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASN9OqlqIXU&feature=related

Guest Music_Fox   
Guest Music_Fox

Alt/indie/whatever else:

Sufjan Stevens: Casimir Pulaski Day:

For the Windows in Paradise:

Futile Devices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbUEKFqxDk

I Want to Be Well:

(Ok a lot of Sufjan)

Sun Kil Moon: Duk Koo Kim:

Joanna Newsom: Sawdust and Diamonds:

Yes: The Gates of Delirium: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZ4K-_nRSs

Gentle Giant: Free Hand (awesome live version!):

Guest Ether   
Guest Ether

I pretty much listen to experimental music, but I also listen to a variety of other genres as well (besides post-hardcore/metalcore/crunkcore/et cetera). Just stuff that's actually good. :D

Guest Music_Fox   
Guest Music_Fox

@Ether: What would you define as "experimental"? Experimental as in rock, or experimental as in other stuff (or both)?

I guess I listen to some experimental stuff, but experimental as in different forms of tonality and complex rhythm.

Guest Ether   
Guest Ether

@Ether: What would you define as "experimental"? Experimental as in rock, or experimental as in other stuff (or both)?

Both, really. =P

Guest Music_Fox   
Guest Music_Fox

@Ester: Sweet! Got any suggestions?

I guess this is what I would call experimental; it is certainly different, but very powerful:

Oh, and awesome new embedded video feature!

Guest Ether   
Guest Ether

Sounds like the type of music I'd compose for a horror movie or something. :P lol

Esqui   

Have some Belle & Sebastian. Dan and I went to see them last December, and this was the first song they played. It was brilliant - the middle part really hit you like a wall of sound.

Guest TyHusky   
Guest TyHusky

I mainly listen to Dance, Club, Synthpop, Electro-Industrial. Especially Synthpop. :3

Guest Ottsune   
Guest Ottsune

I listen to almost everything except country and most rap. I can't stand it, but I can put up with it. I am a huge fan of rock, and I listen to it all, from 80's to Punk. I grew up on heavy stuff, so I do enjoy Iron Maiden and things like it, however I like being able to understand lyrics, so I don't listen to Screamo. I've also started to enjoy more techno and stuff like that.

I listen to almost everything except country and most rap. I can't stand it, but I can put up with it. I am a huge fan of rock, and I listen to it all, from 80's to Punk. I grew up on heavy stuff, so I do enjoy Iron Maiden and things like it, however I like being able to understand lyrics, so I don't listen to Screamo. I've also started to enjoy more techno and stuff like that.

Guest Music_Fox   
Guest Music_Fox

Sounds like the type of music I'd compose for a horror movie or something. :P lol

Ha I actually think it was used in The Shining (though I haven't seen it, so I'm not completely sure).

Guest Kayleff   
Guest Kayleff

My musical tastes are eclectic. I love any Jazz music you can chill to of an evening, especially the gypsy kings or Santana. I love blues too. I think Operatic rock and metal are beautiful if done correctly and am a big fan of within temptation Lacuna coil and Tobias Sammet's Avantasia project. Classic rock like Ozzy, Black sabbath, Alice cooper, Meatloaf etc. I'm also a fan of more modern stuff like Muse, Sum41, bullet for my valentine, foo fighters.

I like some rather odd mixes too, Dropkick Murphy's being one of them as they come under Celtic punk rock

I've recently been looking at newer bands like Mumford and sons too.

I do appreciate some rappers and R'n'B artists but for the most part I dont like them purely because they're all too similar or merely because of the subject matter that they sing about.

One of my favourite quotes of a friend is that music is like candy, you throw out the (w)rappers first.

That said I can't stand listening to death metal, not sure if im getting it right but from what I understand thats the name given to the type of heavy metal with the gutteral screeching in place of actual singing and actual (traditional) guitar solos. Sounds more like someone recorded a live tonsilectomy over the top of the track IMO