PKfox   

So something has been nagging at me for some time now...

I have seen "spells" that turn people into animals (instead of regular hypnosis) and I was wondering what they were and how they work.

Kanibal   

I think, now I could be wrong, what you are getting at here is a thing called magic. What that is, and a spell is, is something we call bogus and work is a very strong word for what they do.

Lets see some research and some testing done and then you can have some answers.

^this. You can believe in magic but with a healthy dose of scientific consideration - that none of the 'spells' you've heard of count as real things that actually happened until you see actual proof and are able to share that proof with us and anyone else who asks and has the ability to critically review it. Empiricism stands between magical thinking and commonly defined sanity.

If only. As far as I'm aware unfortunately, we live in a physics-centric universe... one in which our conscious minds can only have enough effect over matter to manipulate or translate neurons in our brains so that we may use and sense our bodies. In an universe friendlier to life, what we label here as magic would be a lot easier. Here only a handful of "mind over matter" scenarios are possible, most at microscopic level and even those so tiny the science community can't yet accept them.

It's fair to say that many years ago, I have heard several claims from otherkins / therians of physical shifting. I don't suspect they were making fun of me and deliberately lying, nor that they were insane in the literal sense of the word... most likely they experienced mental TF and thought it was physical. In some cases they said it happened while they were sleeping, but once they woke up it only lasted for a few seconds (which I find is typical for many sleep induced effects after waking up).

PKfox   

I didn't mean physically. I meant some people say "spells" work like hypnosis and I wanted to know how it works.

8 hours ago, PKfox said:

I didn't mean physically. I meant some people say "spells" work like hypnosis and I wanted to know how it works.

Oh... sorry about that then. Not sure, I'm afraid I haven't gotten there as of yet.