Sleepy Fox

Closet furry

So recently I discovered that I'm a furry and have been for some time just when I was a kid didn't know that that's what it was called or that the community even existed. But I haven't really told anyone, I've only told one person who is also a furry. But I haven't really told family or friends, should I? I feel that if I do I would be judged and possibly lose them so I kinda keep that part of me a secret. 

Also when looking through this site I've noticed many people have fursonas and other things and I don't have one, should I get one? Because I don't see myself as an anthro animal I just like them problem is I do eventually want to be hypnotised to experience feeling like one.

sorry for the long post but overall I guess what I'm saying is do I stay a closer furry, and how do I go about creating a fursona because I have literally no idea.

It's been really awkward these past few days as people have noticed my phone background and started calling me a furry. I sent it even though I know it's true but it makes me feel sick and on the verge of crying. The thing is idk why like the told some people I'm a furry mainly becuase they are too so I guess I don't want to be seen as something else in the real world. I'm really not sure tbh.

I've always thought of liking furry stuff and being part of the fandom as being pretty similar to being part of any given anime fandom. Your family probably doesn't need to know unless you plan on going to a convention or a furmeet, and if your friends would leave you over an equivalent to being into anime...then frankly you need better friends who actually like you for who you are. If people do start calling you a furry, just be casual about it :3 if you don't make a big deal out of it, most others won't make a big deal out of it either.

As for fursonas, you don't need one, but if you want one then go for it :3 A fursona doesn't necessarily have to be an animal you see yourself as; a lot of furries just pick an animal they like to use as an online avatar, some use characters they write in stories, and so on. 

Oh ok I see, my family doesn't know and it'll probably stay that way for some time. But when I was called one at college I just had to deny it, can though it was true. Like I feel like being a furry is a secret that only I and one or two friends (who are also furries) know about. I don't have the guts to tell one of my best friends as im scared that it might damage our relationship. 

And cool thanks for the bit about the fursonas just wish I was a bit more confident in who I am so that I would want to cry or be sick or die when being called a furry in public.

I'm the same way where about 3/4 of my friends know and my family doesn't (I think my mom does but she is cool with everything). 

I'm proud of being a furry I just wish the public opinion was better and people knowing that it's no freakish or purely sexual.

On 04/11/2016 at 1:21 AM, Sleepy Fox said:

So recently I discovered that I'm a furry and have been for some time just when I was a kid didn't know that that's what it was called or that the community even existed. But I haven't really told anyone, I've only told one person who is also a furry. But I haven't really told family or friends, should I? I feel that if I do I would be judged and possibly lose them so I kinda keep that part of me a secret. 

Also when looking through this site I've noticed many people have fursonas and other things and I don't have one, should I get one? Because I don't see myself as an anthro animal I just like them problem is I do eventually want to be hypnotised to experience feeling like one.

sorry for the long post but overall I guess what I'm saying is do I stay a closer furry, and how do I go about creating a fursona because I have literally no idea.

Same thing for me as well. I only recently stumbled upon the term Furry.

Sorry for reactivating this post, but I find it funny that I had a similar history. I didn't know what a furry was until someone tried to use it as a derogatory term against me. I'd been one for years and didn't even know about it. I didn't have the problem of having to come up with a fursona though.

I do still keep quiet about being a furry. I only tell people when I am 95%~100% sure that they won't be bothered (Basically they become friends first)

Hope things have been going well Sleepy Fox.

- LILmighty

I was a closet fur and it honestly was the worst thing I ever did, I highly recommend that you talk about it, bottling it up only causes worse things to happen 

I haven't told anyone I am a furry. I just don't want people to know the anthro fox me :(

But I really have an important question.

How does one know when someone else is a furry?

Like, how do I know who is one and who is not? I really came here as a place to talk about how I am a furry. I kinda want to redirect my furry-ness here and away from IRL. That is just my opinion tho.

I guess I'm kind of a "closet" fur too. None of my friends or family know, but I doubt they would care if they found out. The way I see it, being a furry shouldn't be equated to being gay in the sense that you need to "come out" to everyone. It's just something you're interested in. If someone asks, it can be an interesting conversation starter, but I generally don't bring my furry-ness into other parts of my life. Like Sabre said, if you don't make a big deal out of it, others won't either.

And as for finding out if someone else is a furry, I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask them, which might understandably be awkward. I suppose some people might make it more obvious by wearing tails or ears, or drawing anthros and the like, but there aren't many other specific signs. If you're desperate to talk to more furries, forums like these are great places to meet new people!