And it's hard to know that falling asleep is a "problem" either. Maybe you're just zoning out to the point that you think you're falling asleep.

I also have trouble staying in trance. For me, it's ADHD. I have trouble focusing on almost everything, and hypnosis is no exception. Perhaps it's the same for you?

I have extreme trouble focusing, I have ADHD too (or at least I have an Adderall prescription). I'm still pretty good at entering trance, though. The big thing that keeps me from falling asleep is that I am very much a side-sleeper, and I don't seem to be able to fall asleep on my back. So by staying in my back, I enter trance rather than fall asleep. I was even trying to provoke lucid dreaming by staying on my back, and I've spent up to two hours trying, but never successfully falling asleep, before I gave up and rolled on my side. I actually have a lot of trouble falling asleep when I'm supposed to. :/

However, being not-tired is really the big thing, as is avoiding the associations your mind has with sleeping. Try sitting in a comfy chair or up in your bed instead of lying in it.

I think with focus, you need to really practice it, and I have through quite a few years of hypnosis and meditation, but I'm still not perfect. I was exposed to the idea that for practice purposes, you just need to do it. Focusing on your breathing is a great place to start, I think. Don't try to stop your mind from wandering, just redirect it if it does and you catch it. Eventually, it will wander less.

Try reading up on meditation in general. It can be very difficult to clear your mind and follow a given path at first, but with research, patience, practice and effort, it's very achievable. Failing that, cannabis is pretty common from what I've heard with people trancing, I wouldn't recommend starting if you're not already doing it, but if you are it might be worth it to toke up before listening.

It helps if your environment is very quiet, and very dark. Try not to have your mind racing even before starting as well, if you can't focus on the file you're going to get nowhere. 

• Like 1

Sometimes during files, I'll be completely zoned out like I'm dreaming and picturing things, though I'm still awake. Sometimes it randomly goes off on a tangent about something like sandwiches, or something I did that day, and fixates, like the Drift from Pacific Rim. Is it okay if this happens?

For those having difficulty in going into trance, I HIGHLY suggest taking up meditation. It helps a lot with relaxing and clearing your mind enough to be able to slip into trance. Plus, it's super relaxing and helpful if you live a stressful life. Both me and my husband have taken up meditation with both of our careers being extremely stressful, it helps us both relax and helps me get better into trance. 

22 hours ago, TatterTotter said:

For those having difficulty in going into trance, I HIGHLY suggest taking up meditation. It helps a lot with relaxing and clearing your mind enough to be able to slip into trance. Plus, it's super relaxing and helpful if you live a stressful life. Both me and my husband have taken up meditation with both of our careers being extremely stressful, it helps us both relax and helps me get better into trance. 

How exactly did you take up meditation?

48 minutes ago, PKfox said:

How exactly did you take up meditation?

They had (believe it or not) when we started, classes on Secondlife. They would teach you techniques to help relax and clear your mind. Also learned some cool stuff about chakras and stuff like that. Which played into my love of rocks and crystals big time!

Try not to listen to files shortly before going to bed, and make sure your mind isn't too preoccupied with other things. Zoning out or being too sleepy could lead to falling asleep while listening - it's happened plenty of times to me.