Laplace

Recreational Mathematics

This is really off-topic, but does anyone here have an interest in recreational math, or Project Euler? I know, this will make me sound like a huge nerd, but there has to be someone out there =P

I do have an interest for math outside the boundary if career/study, and I've given given a look to the project some time ago. Still feels like homework to me though, so I'd rather read from the pile of books I still have to wade trough

I find that the problems on Project Euler are pretty varied and interesting, especially for programming practice. Then again, they all make me feel pretty dumb when I struggle =P

They indeed look more programming-targeted than just solvable trough math. I suppose that one could just determine how to solve it without actually putting it down to code...

I see them as hybrid problems. Through my experience, they typically require math to figure out how to solve them, but are just too large for a person to solve on their own, requiring a computer. I normally get stuck on the first part, but when I figure that out, trying to teach a computer to do my processes efficiently is always an interesting challenge.

Ooh, yes!  I've done a few of the Project Euler problems.  A very few.  Mostly when I was starting to learn Python.  They do have the drawback of making me realize how much math I've forgotten, or never learned in the first place, but they are satisfying.  You might also enjoy the weekly Riddler column on fivethirtyeight.com.