Laplace

Beginner Hypnosis Questions

29 posts in this topic

Hey, I've always been really interested in hypnosis but too scared to try it. I guess I've mostly seen its portrayal in the media. But after coming across this site, I think I'm ready to give it a shot, but there are a few things I've been wondering.

1. What is the most common (if any) adverse effect of hypnosis? I've heard before that it won't cause you to do things you aren't normally willing to, but I guess I'm mostly afraid of possible psychological issues.
  2. How long do the effects usually last? I'm assuming this depends on the file used, but what's the difference between normal files and "permanent" ones, and how hard is it to "snap out" of the effects on your own?
  3. What's the most reliable way to get started? I've been eager to just jump into it for a while but I wasn't sure what file to start with first, or whether there's anything I should know before I try it.

Thanks in advance, everyone, I'm looking forward to getting started!

I am no expert, but i will try answering some of these.

1.Hypnosis on its own will not do much but will boost some things.

2. Length is something noone can put a definitive number for, as it is different per person. It mostly depends on how well you go into trance, and practice oflistening more than just once. I dont know if 'permanent' files are any different than normal, but i havent really tried permanent files.

3. I recommend start small, with induction files. After that maybe start trying onesthat are smaller, like one for just a tail. Just mostly work your way up.

If i was bad at explaining, sorry.   

1 person likes this

Thanks, that clears up a lot for me. I was actually testing out some files just to see how well I could get into trance earlier, and it was a lot less scary/jarring than I expected. Can you recommend somewhere where I can find files like the ones you were talking about (induction, tail). Thanks again!

To add a little for each answer, hypnosis won't typically cause psychological issues, but I will always recommend to anyone with such that they speak to their psychologist first. Also, with permanent files, they can wear off or otherwise become unnoticeable, depending on the file and listener, but as a rule it's probably best to assume the effects actually are permanent :3 whether or not they really are.

For where to find files...there are a few sites around, but I do very much recommend our own download system. When you gain access, we have a few files that're good to start/practice with :3

I'm glad your first experience was better than you expected, too ^.^ here's to many more enjoyable sessions~

Just in case this is relevant, here's the link to the file I used for my first attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0UMNtkS-cM. I have no idea what quality file that is, so that may have impacted my results. I used it last night around 2AM, hoping being more tired would affect the results. Oddly enough, the second attempt produced less pronounced results even though my first attempt was interrupted twice. Not to be impatient, but should I keep trying to use this file until it works (even though I'd probably rather go for an anthro fox tf) for practice or wait until I can access the downloads here? (10 posts, right?) Also, how long does it normally take for noticeable results?

I'm now realizing that I'm probably just judging the results too early based on a file that may not necessarily be high quality and may be too advanced used in sub-optimal conditions, but whatever. Guess I'm just a bit eager =P

The transformation parlor, from what I have seen, is a good place. Quality is nice and I can actally feel it sometimes, which is rare. Try not to ever use the same file repeatedly, as it may lose effectiveness if overused.

Oh ok, I wasn't sure if using the same file would help me feel the effects or if trying several different files would cause each one to work less and less. I guess I was afraid the effects would get mixed up or something, I don't know.

If you're after an anthro fox TF, I'd say either track one down or wait until you have access to our files :3 as for how long it can take, anywhere from one session to...a lot. 

The best time to try is actually shortly after waking up, when you're more alert, since hypnosis relies on your being able to focus, so being tired can make it less effective :3 and you're probably better off practicing the same file a few times, see if it gets more or less effective for you. For some people using a file repeatedly helps things stick and become far more effective (and with long term things that need to be reinforced and deepened, is almost necessary), for others it can make it less effective (from my experience, this is a bit less common) :3

Trying different files shouldn't cause each one to work less and less though, as long as nothing overlaps too much.

So would trying a variety of files be good experience and practice for getting into trance? And I get what you mean about being alert, I think I might have fallen asleep during a minute or so of my last session. =P

Does it matter how often I would repeat a file? (daily vs. back-to-back attempts)

Thanks! :3

EDIT: Sorry if these are a lot of really basic questions, just trying to get familiar with what I'm getting myself into, hehe :3

Edited by Laplace

It's quite ok~ helping out with this is part of what we're here for :3

To get decent practice, I'd say try a few inductions to find a style that works well for you, even if there's not much else to the file overall :3 and for how often to repeat files, it's mostly what works best for you. Generally I like to have a little gap between sessions unless I've written part of the ending to move straight into another induction. It can't hurt to try files back to back sometimes and daily/twice daily other times and see which works best :3

Ok, I guess having to wait a few days before I can access downloads (7 days total?) gives me some time to experiment with pacing and methods :3. Also, much further along in the process, isn't there a point where files stop being useful and you can/have to trigger effects yourself? I think I remember seeing something like that in one of the blogs of someone here, but I'm just trying to clear it up for myself x3

Hello and welcome. The IRC can be a handy place to hang out and get advice too, and if not there then you can probably tap a few people on the shoulder and get some messenger details.

Also, much further along in the process, isn't there a point where files stop being useful and you can/have to trigger effects yourself? I think I remember seeing something like that in one of the blogs of someone here, but I'm just trying to clear it up for myself x3

I haven't heard of Having to trigger the effects yourself, but some files do let you trigger outside of trance. Listening to those repeatedly is supposed to help make the trigger more powerful outside of trance.

Hello and welcome. The IRC can be a handy place to hang out and get advice too, and if not there then you can probably tap a few people on the shoulder and get some messenger details.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the IRC from time to time. I think I found it, is it hosted by furnet?

I haven't heard of Having to trigger the effects yourself, but some files do let you trigger outside of trance. Listening to those repeatedly is supposed to help make the trigger more powerful outside of trance.

Maybe I was just misunderstanding some parts of Star Crusher's blog. I've been using his blog as a main reference for my goals in TFing and hypnosis, which is probably a bit too ambitious to start with. I'm just glad to see that this could be taken to that far of an extent, and hopefully I'll near that someday. :D

EDIT: I'm just now realizing how quickly I switched from being terrified of hypnosis to... this.

Edited by Laplace

EDIT: I'm just now realizing how quickly I switched from being terrified of hypnosis to... this.

Yeah its strange isnt it?

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the IRC from time to time. I think I found it, is it hosted by furnet?

Yeah it's funny how that works isn't it. Yeah it's hosted by FurNet, we'll get some information on site eventually. The staff team have had a busy year on other projects honestly.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks you can purchase several books on self hypnosis. I would recommend how to master self hypnosis in a weekend. It goes over some basic techniques for going into trance to include self triggers for trance. I've only scratched the surface but aside from the trance trigger I also set up a way to tell when I'm in trance/being hypnotised and a few others. The book is just under $5 on Kindle book store and links three basic scripts that follow the book. 

If you don't mind spending a few bucks you can purchase several books on self hypnosis. I would recommend how to master self hypnosis in a weekend. It goes over some basic techniques for going into trance to include self triggers for trance. I've only scratched the surface but aside from the trance trigger I also set up a way to tell when I'm in trance/being hypnotised and a few others. The book is just under $5 on Kindle book store and links three basic scripts that follow the book. 

Thank you so much, that book looks like it's really going to help me out. And I think as of today I've been on here for a week, so I should be able to access the downloads soon, right? If I do get access to them, should I try some files or wait until I get more experience?

Also, what's the Bubble Induction? I think I've heard about it here before but I never quite got what it was.

As I've given it a try I can tell you it aims to make you feel in a comfortable, figurative "bubble". I take it's an introduction, and can be useful to see how things work. Regulars probably know as of why it was defined famous

The absolute best book I've found on hypnosis is Hypnotic Influence by Teppo Holmqvist, which has an entire chapter on self-hypnosis. I recommend that over all the other books I've read put together.

As for how long something lasts, I've noticed three factors:

1. Some people are better at being hypnotized than others. I had one girlfriend who was a particularly skilled subject. She wanted something on her body to remind her of me, so I used hypnosis to give her a tattoo of my name. Several months later, she told me that she could still see it.

2. For people who aren't absolute naturals at going into trance, repetition helps. Suggest something to someone once, and it's likely to wear off -- maybe in a few hours, maybe in a few days, maybe in a few weeks. But if you keep repeating the suggestion, it'll stick longer and longer.

3. Everybody has certain strong beliefs which keep certain hypnotic suggestions from taking effect. The strongest of these are the "I am" beliefs. This is when somebody's whole identity is tied to something else. Somebody might say "I am a smoker", or "I am an addict", or "I am fat", or "I am human". These beliefs arise because we've been that way so long that we've either never had the experience of being any other way, or we've forgotten that experience. You probably don't have the experience of ever not being human, so a simple suggestion that you have a different form won't have as much effect as if you tackle that "I am human" belief directly, find out what makes it so strong and why your unconscious mind wants to hold on to it so badly, and overcome it.

I'm personally not entirely sure I agree with the whole "you can't be hypnotized ot do something you don't want to do." Sure, over a a short period of time obviously not. I've seen people make massive personality shifts (not hypnosis related) over long periods of time, so it seems to me that you could make unwanted changes by doing it very gradually over a very long period of time. 

On 4/3/2016 at 1:35 AM, Asdftube said:

I'm personally not entirely sure I agree with the whole "you can't be hypnotized to do something you don't want to do." 

Well, I've always felt completely in control during hypnosis. If there's a suggestion I don't like, I just say "no", and it doesn't have an effect. 
Also, I'd assume that if you repeatedly listen to a hypnosis file, you want it to affect you. If you didn't you wouldn't listen to it, right?  

Thanks for all the help, everyone, and sorry for my inactivity. I've been really busy lately and too nervous to try hypnosis :/

4 hours ago, Laplace said:

Thanks for all the help, everyone, and sorry for my inactivity. I've been really busy lately and too nervous to try hypnosis :/

Its no problem, we have all been in that position of being too busy and all that.