Sign in to follow this  
Nannerkins

Languages effectiveness

This is a question open to all those who know more than a language and had experiences either speaking or listening. I am curious at whether there's a bias over which is more effective. I sort of expect the most listened to/spoken to be probably preferred, or the one learned earlier, still there could be someone who had two (or more) languages to grow with.

Bonus points on considerations over what makes a language convey images. It's something that we learn at an early stage and we give for granted most of the life, but most often (the exception being onomatopeic words) there's not really a bond between significant and significance. What makes images pop up in the head listening to certain words, or makes certain thoughts run? Philology can tell about the origins and derivations of a word, and that answers partly to what a word is, but there are certain sounds that inherently make the listeners feel in a certain way, or is it wholly a societal construction? Music, to a point, manages to convey feelings and pictures, both from the composer and to the executor...

Sabre   

Oh this is an interesting one :3 and one I can weigh in on a little bit, too, at least with how it relates to hypnosis sessions.

When listening to files or otherwise going through a hypnosis session as a subject, I do prefer my native language (English) for most situations. I can understand more of it than anything else and it makes sessions that require relaxation or complex suggestions that much easier. Similarly when reading a text-based session in English, I tend to skim sentences and take the meaning of an entire sentence, rather than following each word individually. It makes for a generally easier time for me.

I have, however, listened to and read a few sessions in German, which I have a fairly basic understanding of so far. It's less effective overall, but for now I'm putting that down to my lack of fluency in the language. It's effective in a different way, though - I have to either focus a lot more to understand the meaning of a sentence or read slowly, taking in each individual word to understand what's being said, which can still certainly get some results. If I go in while I'm already thinking in German, it does help a lot :3

Conducting sessions for others, I exclusively use English, just because I'm that much better at speaking/typing it. Meaning might be conveyed incorrectly in my typed German, and spoken I just don't sound confident enough nor paced well enough, so I can't really offer much from the hypnotist perspective on that sadly. 

One's knowledge of a language is expected to be this relevant, as it would be in everyday's things; same goes for the mean of communication most used and exercitated, text vs spoken form. I know it's not easy for non-natives to have chances to practice in listening and especially in speaking, while the written media is easier to achieve proficiency in due the higher amounts of opportunities to put it to test, although lookups in a dictionary or for translations may still be needed every now and then. Hence why in my question I hoped to get answers from people who have more than one language as their native, or that started learning a second language early in their lives.

I also agree that by having already the mind set to use and recognize one language gives better results rather than switching for a specific task, although I'm unsure whether the former explanation is sufficient to explain this. It could be possible - gotta look that up - that a language learned at a later point "works" differently in the brain, and it's easier to use that pathway once it has been warmed up, so to say.

Thanks for the contribution and for stimulating my curiosity!