NoctisLunaris

Therians?????

It occured to me today to ask how many therians are on furmorphed.

with the nature of therianism I thought it would be interesting to see the difference in concentrations

Laplace   

Sorry if this counts as a bump, but what exactly is therianism? I haven't been able to find too many good explanations, but from what I've heard, I probably count as one.

Alexei   

Therianism is similar to being a furry in the sense you can define it how you wish for the most part. Different people have different concepts of what it is but the basic idea is that you have some higher connection with animals or a specific species. Some people feel as though they aren't in the right body, other people are content with the fact they're human but they feel connected to an animal.

Reynard   

For myself, I feel a strong desire to physically become a male European Red Fox.  I don't consider myself non-human; more like human + Red Fox, or a human fox.  If that makes me a therian, that's fine.  If it puts me in some other category, that's alright as well.

I've found out more recently that I count as a therian too. Human plus red fox, as per Reynard, but because of that my aim is anthropomorphic red fox.

Therians are those whose spiritual identity contains some portion of non-human animal which is known and proven to have lived on Earth or to live on Earth today.
Otherkin, meanwhile, are those whose spiritual identity contains some portion of a mystical, other-worldly, mythical or fictional being.
There can be overlap between these and each other, and with the furry fandom.

On 6/28/2017 at 4:34 PM, DanFoxDavies said:

I've found out more recently that I count as a therian too. Human plus red fox, as per Reynard, but because of that my aim is anthropomorphic red fox.

Therians are those whose spiritual identity contains some portion of non-human animal which is known and proven to have lived on Earth or to live on Earth today.
Otherkin, meanwhile, are those whose spiritual identity contains some portion of a mystical, other-worldly, mythical or fictional being.
There can be overlap between these and each other, and with the furry fandom.

id be very careful of saying 'fictional' being around any otherkin. That's considered to be incredibly offensive.

Therians and Otherkin are two different groups entirely, they have unique spiritual beliefs and customs as well as contain a wide spectrum of beliefs and practices.

I am otherkin, I am a kitsune, and though i haven't been active in some time, I am a believer in the gateway theory that exists within otherkin circles. There are many, many others though.

Edited by Kitsunami

koboldly   

For me, anthropomorphism is more of a cool alternative I entertain, rather than something I feel is core to my identity. Therians are really interesting, however, because it feels like (to me at least) a creative intersection between spirituality and self-identity. If it works for you, more power to you.

18 hours ago, Kitsunami said:

id be very careful of saying 'fictional' being around any otherkin. That's considered to be incredibly offensive.

Therians and Otherkin are two different groups entirely, they have unique spiritual beliefs and customs as well as contain a wide spectrum of beliefs and practices.

I am otherkin, I am a kitsune, and though i haven't been active in some time, I am a believer in the gateway theory that exists within otherkin circles. There are many, many others though.

I used the word 'or' behind the word 'fictional' to say that I was under the impression 'fictionkin' were included as well as those who do not consider their species fictional. I did not intend to be read as meaning that all otherkin species were fictional, far from it.