Tempesteclipse

Does having autism cause hypnotic inductions to be much more difficult?

I figured I would ask about this and see what you guys felt about it since I find it difficult to get through a trance myself. I currently have Asperger's and it does certainly inhibit my being able to be tranced. I understand this is a fairly personal topic so no responses are necessary was just curious.

Edit. Fixed some of the spelling and grammatical issues. (Even with android lollipop tablets still are not 100% spellcheckers.

Edited by Tempesteclipse

Kanibal   

I can see how it could affect the ability to trance in regards to listening to a file or person but as far as the state itself goes I don't think it should inhibit you all that much. In theory you could harness your it in an ability to focus more intently - that said if you are having trouble with files and listening perhaps look up or ask around some methods of pure self hypnosis. (ie not done with files or with any kind of script) Perhaps some relaxing music and trying to put yourself into a trance state internally could wok out for you?

Very interesting Always fairly interested with anything in regards to that;  thank you by the way for the advice. I find it odd in itself that being  susceptible  to trances is far more difficult in autism as a whole just because of some different wiring changes in the mind and whole the consciousness thinks more logically. 

Edited by Tempesteclipse

namen   

Interesting...I'm an aspie myself, and I've had problems with trancing, but I've always thought it was because of my ADHD. 

Although I haven't really tried them as much as I'd like to, I'd suggest trying a couple confusion inductions and seeing if they work. They're supposed to be good for logical minds.

JouninJ   

This is intresting  as ive got autism and adhd so alot of times its hard for me to just clear my head i might try some confusion inductions

I'm also and aspie myself, and I can say that I have always had trouble with being put under (though my ADD may be a player in the matter, too). I've only recently started to have limited success, and even then its not 100% of the time. I never thought about it much, I just assumed it was the autism. We just think in a different way from most people, and thus have to do some things differently. Inducing a trance seems to just be one of those things that we have to look for a way that works for us.

I'd also recommend cutting back on caffeine if you're trying to induce a trance on yourself, as stimulants in general make in harder to achieve the desired relaxed state. I tend to drink a LOT of coffee and tea most days, but on days that I intend to induce a trance, I stay away from it, despite the fact that it helps to organize my thoughts.

sushi   

I have ADHD, which I've recently learned is connected to autism. I've been stimming as far back as I can remember, and just this week I discovered what it was called and that autistic people do it too.

ADHD definitely does make it harder to go under. In fact, I know about ten people who have trouble going into trance, and most of us have unmedicated ADHD. From what I've heard, medication helps a lot, but this isn't something that I've personally tested.

Another thing that I've noticed is that it absolutely does get easier with practice. After about ten months of infrequent text sessions with an online friend, I've found that I can go into trance immediately for certain triggers. However, I still tend to bounce right back out, and even when I can stay under, suggestions don't work for me. Maybe after another year of practice I'll be there, but I plan on taking the medication shortcut instead.

Edited by sushi
typo fix
  • Like 1

Kaerea   

As a fellow Aspie, I can attest to the difficulty that can be present in trancing when on the autistic spectrum. One particular trick I found helpful, that I cannot for the life of me remember the exact details about anymore or what the link I got them from was, was a sort of pre-session exercise and meditation. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

As well, and I don't know how feasible this is for Furmorphed, but in the last place I had experience with hypnosis, the files were sort of modular. You could mix and match the main content with different inductions and awakeners to suit your preference. One induction I found especially helpful, which apparently is known to be helpful for people on the autism spectrum, or with overly busy minds like many diagnosed with ADHD/ADD can experience, is the 7 plus or minus 2 induction. Works like a charm, at least for me.

Coming back to this thread... I seem to do really well with the extremely long inductions, myself.

While I'm on the subject of autism, it is worth noting that my analytical mindset (having come both from aspergers and many years of computer experience) has actually saved me in more than a few instances, filtering out most unwanted suggestions like a firewall.

Basically, think of yourself like having Anti-Virus; you'll run a little slower, but you'll be a lot more secure in the long run.

• Like 1

Kaerea   
On 24/10/2016 at 11:04 AM, Amaroq Dricaldari said:

Basically, think of yourself like having Anti-Virus; you'll run a little slower, but you'll be a lot more secure in the long run.

I'd never thought of it like that, but yeah, I think you're right. It does make hypnosis that tends towards topics I don't like as much (obedience, being owned, slavery, etc) a lot less effective. Like my brain's checking itself and saying 'yeah no' even as things are going, and breaking trance rather suddenly if that sort of thing suddenly begins.

I've had problems like this before. Previously with my hypnosis, I try and select files with background music that calms my mind before it starts to get angry or disapprove of the commands. I'm not one to follow commands either, but it's more about how you feel about the command, your brain doesn't control you. You just need to find the override switch in your mind and switch to manual. Calm music is my way of switching to manual, you just have to find yours.