Ty Browntail

Collars: Yay or Nay?

i've been debating in my mind for a while now investing in a nice collar for just general purpose wearing, but im really concerned about the look.  I dont want it to come off as some kind of sexual thing, just more of a choker kind of object.  What are your thoughts?

I'm considering one myself! If you don't want it to look sexual, go for something that isn't leather and maybe a little on the thin side and you should be good to go!

or at least in my opinion anyway.

unfortunately, most "regular" people will see any kind of choker or tight neckwear as a sexual thing. however, if you stay away from leather, studs, spikes, non-gender typical colors, black anything, and the solid metal ring iconic of a collar then they won't have any justification to assume such.

really you should consider why you care what others think, especially the normal people. who are they to judge you for wanting something that they don't? f--k em, do what makes you happy and don't let doubt be part of your life.

I used to panic and take off my collar anytime anyone could possibly catch me wearing it, untill the first time my friend caught me with it locked around my neck with the key miles away (mine has a lock) and didn't care. after that I just stopped caring, now it doesn't even bother me; and I will say, I've gotten complements from people I would have never expected to like the look. (I've also picked up hot girls and guys of both dominant and submissive demeanors with it and my tail on.)

TL;DR, get it, wear it, rock your furry fearlessly.

I wear a collar whenever I can get away with it. Metallic purple leather with "SABRE" in silver lettering across the front and a lambskin lining. I love this thing, wear it pretty much as a fashion thing and generally nobody worries about it. I can't even think of a time someone's pointed it out or given me a funny look :3 They look good on others as far as I'm concerned, so I'm for collars ^.^

If you're worried about it looking fetishy or sexual and don't mind not being able to use it with a leash or tag, get one made without a D ring. Without a D ring, it can't be used as a collar would be for a pet, looks more like a fashion accessory and is one less thing for someone to grab at a furmeet :3

Personally I have a purple synthetic fabric one that I picked up at a pet shop. Sadly I don't have the guts to wear it in public but the few times I've forgotten it on at home, my roommates never commented.

Maybe everyone who says that you should flaunt it have a point. It's just without the confidence to, I fear that I'd break down it confronted about it.

I've had mine for a while, and it feels nice to wear it.

I will admit that when my mom saw it, she freaked. That was the day that put the final nail in our relationship (we still talk, but only because I live with her), because she couldn't understand that I don't care about her opinion, or anyone else's for that mater. My dad didn't care that I have it, nor that I wear it in public (I wore this thing out of Wal-Mart when I bought it). Mine's just a synthetic fabric one in red, but it really has helped me to stop worrying what other people think. Though I still hide it from my mom.

I'm going repeat some advice I got from one of my High School English teachers: "Let your freak flag fly!" If you want one and have the money, get it, wear it, love it.

unfortunately, most "regular" people will see any kind of choker or tight neckwear as a sexual thing.

Nowadays pretty much anything gets sexualized, let alone something that fits tightly and highlights a point that's usually considered sensitive and related. With this idea to reason on you'd probably end up not taking/wearing it.

However I feel that if you were to pick up something that doesn't shout for attention, all you need to do is to act normally and not be concerned about it. I think that concern over one's appearance and others' thinking will probably call attention to that and make it read in the wrong key.

If you don't treat it as a big deal, most people won't either.  I wear mine out sometimes when I am traveling.  I don't wear it at home because I don't want co-workers to see me wearing it, but I don't care about strangers opinions. 

Usually I get compliments or the occasional "Why?"  My favorite response to "Why?" is "because the throat is the least naturally protected part of the body, but also one of the most important. The question isn't why am I wearing throat protection. The question is why aren't you?" 

I find a regular dog collar works fine for me, but that said I've never worn it outside... in public I think I'd want something a bit less obvious haha

I think it depends a lot on what you wear with it. If your wardrobe is already pretty goth or strange it looks much less out of place than say with a suit and tie or jeans and a wife beater.

I think you should go for it if you like the look. There are plenty of explanations  to why other than what people may assume. If you like it you wear it; ignore what the others think