Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LostOne

An Outsiders View

14 posts in this topic

Before I came here, I was working on finding out the truth of what the furry community really is. I went to many sites, some I wish I didn't, and have found many things. Mostly, I don't consider myself a furry, but I could be depending on what you think defines someone as being a furry. Getting to the point, I am setting up a channel to show my analysis of what is a furry and what is the furry community, and others. I'm hoping I get finished and upload before summer, but who knows. I need to still look into the community a bit and once that's done actually make the videos.

The reason I am doing this is because I want to know the truth, not rumors or lies. I hate rumors. I hate lies. But I need to be able to figure out the difference between them and the truth. That's really my main reason.

The channel is kinda set-up, link is here if you want to look at it so far. E_whttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7S3vPbYusfE9ConTMM-E_w

Any information would help, but again it may be awhile before anything is done, except maybe an introduction video.

As an 'outsider', why do you care?  Why does it matter?

The truth is everyone is different.  You'll be able to find at least one person to validate any rumor and you'll find at least one person to invalidate any rumor, so the only thing that matters is what you're trying to find because you'll find eactly that. 

1 person likes this

As an 'outsider', why do you care?  Why does it matter?

The truth is everyone is different.  You'll be able to find at least one person to validate any rumor and you'll find at least one person to invalidate any rumor, so the only thing that matters is what you're trying to find because you'll find eactly that.

It matters because I want to find the truth, which in this world is hard to find. The truth I'm looking for isn't that everyone's different. I am looking more on just what is rumor and what is truth. It may sound weird, but that's the kind of person I am.

First of all, I'd like to formally welcome you to FurMorphed! A warm welcome to you, LostOne.  :biggrin: I may be new to this website, but— I've actually been part of the furry community for quite some time now. I'm rather fond of your fascination as to what defines what the furry community is. It's a perfectly valid question, one of which I've thought about from time to time myself...

From a constructive standpoint, I only consider myself to be moderately knowledgeable on the furry community. There are still some things I haven't explored as of yet, but— I'd like to believe I could be of good use to your research, for I am a person of reason. I put a lot of thought and consideration into my opinions and answers.  :happy:

For starters: The furry community, as a whole, is a very broad subject. There are a multitude of variables found within it which may or may not help provide insight as to what truly defines it. Some are the very foundation of the fandom, whereas others are simply an extension to what was already existing. Depending on who you ask, some aspects are extremely favorable while others are not so much...  :blink:

When I was 14 years of age, I was first introduced to the furry community through the website called Gaia Online. This website is a social networking and forums-based website which provided anime lovers and like-minded individuals a place to hang out online. Through its use of customizable avatars, users were able to dress their avatars with items resembling that of animal ears and tails, which were originally inspired by Japanese fiction such as anime and manga (see Kemonomimi).  :cool:

Over time, this caused the eventual growth of a furry community within the Gaia Online community itself. Thanks to its ties in Japanese culture, especially from anime, this allowed the website to add additional items such as animal-inspired accessories and even items which provided non-human traits, such as fur or scales instead of skin...

Originally, I was drawn into the community simply because I liked the idea of dressing up as an animal. I personally thought it was cute! It was a fun and creative way of expressing myself. But over time, it turned more into an innocent fascination rather than just a hobby. I thought to myself, "What would it be like to be an anthropomorphic animal?" Ultimately, this is the very question that continues to drive my interest in the furry fandom.  :wub:

Of course, there are many other elements regarding the furry fandom and why people decide to be a part of it. Some people, like myself, are fascinated by the idea of being an anthropomorphic animal, while others may be interested only in the creative aspects of the furry fandom, such as furry art or literature. Additionally, some people believe they have a spiritual connection to a specific animal, while others use fursonas as a means of expressing their personalities or alter egos within the fandom.  :happy:

From personal experience, many people who identify as furry also enjoy the fandom simply because most people, who make up this fandom, are very compassionate and open-minded to one another. Put simply, furries are some of the most friendliest people you'll ever meet! Because of this, people are able to express themselves within the fandom without fear of being judged or ridiculed due to normal social problems.  :biggrin:

All in all, I hope I provided you some insight into what defines the furry community! There are a few things that I didn't go into specific detail, such as the sexual attraction to anthropomorphic animals, but— I'm sure you  already got a taste of that elsewhere... While it may be considered by some to be an important part of the furry fandom, I personally feel that's "not" what truly defines the community as a whole.  :)

Best of luck on your research! I hope you're able to find the answers that you seek. Also, if you'd like to ask me any other questions, feel free to ask! I'll be more than happy to provide you with my insight on the matter~! Also, here are some links which provide more information on the topics I mentioned.  :biggrin:

- Definition of Furry

- Furry Fandom

Best wishes, VentureFox (Kai)  :blush:

1 person likes this

That is certainly alot of info, thanks! I actually did see the first link, but need to read the info on that second one. Lots of what you posted seem to line up with what I've found (And yes, I have seen some of the things you haven't gone into detail with..) but I think you are the first to say that the actual community started from anime, although I did see something about Greek Mythology and Disney. So yeah, thanks.I hope to at least get a good Idea of how to make the video and what to put in it. I'm planing on making it a series, and not just a single video.

You're welcome!  :biggrin: It's probably more info than the average person would have provided, but— I am more than happy to share it with you. The official Wikipedia page on the same subject might also be of good use too! (See Furry Fandom). Actually, I wouldn't say the fandom originated from anime. The community itself picked up speed starting in the 1980's at Science fiction conventions: cartoons and anime followed after that.

There are actually a number of ways how people are introduced into the fandom though!~  :cool:  Science fiction, Greek mythology, Egyptian gods, Disney movies and even cartoons which star anthropomorphic animals can influence a person's curiosity on furries. Disney's Robin Hood is a great example of this. Of course, from personal experience, younger people seem to be more influenced by anime and cartoons here lately. But— that's not necessarily a bad thing.  :)

Also, the sexual aspects of the furry community can be a bit daunting (or disturbing) for someone unfamiliar it, but— much like anything sex related, there's always going to be those people with the weird and strange sexual fetishes. Don't worry, not everyone is like that.  :happy: I may enjoy the sexual stuff, but even I have my limits (some things go off the deep end). To each their own though.  :blink:

And I'm here like I don't really know of anyone too far in the deep end yet, but oh so close...

I guess a bit off the original subject, I actually do remember watching Robin Hood so many times as a kid because of how it was one of the few VHS tapes we had. I kinda remembered it when I was looking at different stuff, but only half connected it, because I haven't seen it in so long. Seems weird to me that it circled around to this in a sense.

Just made the intro for the channel, hope to get first episode done by this week.

Great! :D I'll be sure to keep up with your videos~! :3

That's pretty neat about the Robin Hood thing though!

Great! :D I'll be sure to keep up with your videos~! :3

That's pretty neat about the Robin Hood thing though!

Alright. Just so you know after the first episode is done and posted about I probably wont post more about the series here, even if I decide to stay on the forum. Don't want to be too annoying about it, especially when there are people here that don't want to see it.

I guess the weirdest thing about the Robin Hood is that it was one of my favorites back then.

Well I finally finished and uploaded the first episode. I wont make more posts for every episode but I will say episodes will be distant from each other, maybe 1-2 weeks apart.

The Channel Link is here:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7S3vPbYusfE9ConTMM-E_w

I want to know as I make the series what I have gotten right and wrong. I am open to all criticism that isn't just "You suck". I want to know what I did wrong if you think that. You can either tell me here or in the comments of one of the videos, either works.

I'm sorry for anyone keeping watch on this... I have been super busy and unable to record. Hope to be able to record soon

I wouldn't worry about posting each time you upload a new video.  If people don't want to watch them then they can ignore the topic.  You'd probably get more timely feedback if you did post a post for each video.