Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saphirel

What exactly is trance?

I've heard it's just a state of complete relaxation. But how can I be certain I am in a trance at any given time? And what are some tips for undergoing hypnosis aswell. Currently I just lie down straight but comfortably in my bed on my back, with my eyes closed, laptop to my side with the files I plan on listening to and a pair of earbuds. I am really hopeful, but feel like I'm doing something wrong. Any advice is welcome! ^^

It's a tad paradoxical to say what a trance feels like, because one of the most significant features of trance is a lack of awareness of self.

There are also on occasion things that even at a stretch do not fall under "lack of awareness of self" (Hallucinations of any kind; mainly abstract, mainly physical), but my view is that such feelings are not a direct result of trancing; simply a result of the conditions created by trancing(It should be expected that trancing can cause similar effects to the Wake Induced Lucid Dream technique, given the similarity between the two activities).

In which case it could be said that there are two dimensions to trance; in the direction of focus, and in the direction of dreaming.

I imagine both dimensions play an important role in having the file take effect, especially with transformation files, though I've never come across a non-dream-related file that tries to take the listener in the direction of dreaming as well as the direction of trance.

What trance is, is really a state of focus on something, generally to the exclusion of other stimulus :3 relaxation is often a big part of it, too. An example I like to use is reading a good story; you might find yourself quite immersed in the world, and if someone asks you something, you tend to answer pretty much automatically. You don't always have to be focussed on the words of a file, even, there are some that have you focus on your breathing instead, or on imagining certain things. For spotting whether or not you're in trance at a given time, don't worry about that until you're awake. Enjoy the experience, however deep you may go~

Some things to try while using files are different positions, as long as you're comfortable, but what you're doing is generally a pretty good way to go about it. If you find that's not working, try just idly doing things online that you don't have to pay too much attention to or be too active with while listening, or even try a flash game that uses just the arrow keys if you can find one that you can mute and can get into a bit. Pretty much, try things out, if something works better for you, keep at that :3 just don't go doing it while driving or anything dangerous like that.

Trance is a state of focus (like the previous people said). Its really hard to know if you are in trance, since your mind sort of switches into "automatic" mode.

The best way to get into a good trance is to just relax and keep trying. Eventually you'll probably wake up at the end of a file and feel that you went into a deep trance.

Try not to think of anything really complex or stressful. one thing that might help is to focus on each word the file is saying one at a time. I like to visualize each word being said as if it were written out in front of me.

Beyond that, I do the same things as you when trying to get into trance. Eventually it just started working.

Keep trying and I'm sure your be able to do it.

So I am a psych major and specialize in a lot of neuropsych topics. Trance in and of itself is a state between sleep and consciousness where your mind becomes susceptible to suggestions. Most literature says it is comparable to the rest of REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, which is a very light sleep, but interestingly enough, you are not paralyzed. What I mean by that, is that the body has automatic paralysis systems that activate when you go to sleep to prevent you from physically acting out what you are seeing in dreams. Some people have a better paralysis system than others, thus sleepwalkers. The point is that you are completely free to conscious thought and movement during trance, but only if you are willing. Since your mind is still active, even if minimally, your mind begins to listen to suggestions and either mark them as plausible or not. The ones you deem plausible you may chose to carry out, given you are deep enough into trance. The best way I can suggest to get yourself into trance is to listen to the file, but also feel free to daydream a little bit. Whilst daydreaming, your unconscious brain is still listening. Hope this helps :)

What exactly constitutes hypnosis; what exactly constitutes trance; whether hypnosis is a form of trance, results in trance, or does not involve trance; and whether hypnosis, meditation, daydreaming, et cetera are identical states are debated among hypnosis experts, at least partly due to the subjective nature of hypnosis/trance.  The inquiry, "What exactly is trance?" is additionally complicated by ambiguity as to whether saphirel actually intended to specifically refer to hypnosis.  Nevertheless, Sabre's, Oros', and nothxijust8's answers to the inquiry provide a decent conception of hypnosis/trance.

How hypnosis feels and what is otherwise directly experienced from it partly depends upon the subject and the induction.  Some people actually do not feel anything, at least consciously.  No feelings are inherently indicative of a hypnotic state.  However, some of the more common experiences that have not been mentioned in this thread are decelerated, deepened breathing, exterior body temperature changes, perceived changes in body parts' weights, a decreased desire to move, blinking rate changes (if and while the eyelids are open), lacrimation, eye reddening, time sense changes (commonly called "time distortion"), and amnesia of hypnosis session events, any of which can be induced via suggestion.

In addition to relaxation, which varies in degree and is usually physical and mental, being a common effect of being hypnotized, most inductions are designed to involve it, because it facilitates focus and is generally pleasurable.  Nevertheless, that hypnosis necessarily involves relaxation seems to be a common misconception.

I am skeptical of accursedCursive's assertion that "one of the most significant features of trance is a lack of awareness of self."  Usually, while people are hypnotized, they notice what they feel and otherwise experience and, although their general awareness of stimuli is reduced, are very focused on one or, less likely, a few specific stimuli, which can be internal.  In fact, inward focus is common with hypnosis and many inductions (some of which Sabre has already referenced) use the subject's body as the primary focus.

Monitoring whether one is yet hypnotized can interfere with one becoming so, as is the case with sleep.  However, if one is unconvinced that one is hypnotized, one is less likely to accept suggestions and is more likely to abandon attempts to become hypnotized, at least with particular means.  For some people, especially ones who have failed to become hypnotized despite making many attempts (including me), evidence of successful induction is important.

The most reliable method of ascertaining whether one is hypnotized is testing with suggestions, preferably simple, physical ones, including ones for limb levitation.  Such tests are common examples of what are commonly called "convincers."

In addition to proper use of hypnosis recordings, correct selection of which ones to use is necessary, partly because no induction is compatible with everyone.  Some people (probably including me) are actually unable to hypnotically respond to any recordings, due to their lack of interactivity and, consequently, their inability to adapt to subjects' responses (or lack thereof).

How hypnosis feels and what is otherwise directly experienced from it partly depends upon the subject and the induction.  Some people actually do not feel anything, at least consciously.  No feelings are inherently indicative of a hypnotic state.  However, some of the more common experiences that have not been mentioned in this thread are decelerated, deepened breathing, exterior body temperature changes, perceived changes in body parts' weights, a decreased desire to move, blinking rate changes (if and while the eyelids are open), lacrimation, eye reddening, time sense changes (commonly called "time distortion"), and amnesia of hypnosis session events, any of which can be induced via suggestion.

I would not have said it better   ( is this work how I wrote this or is it only a bad impression?) when I do therapy this it what I usually try to observe  for knowing that my client are under hypnosi. At least, what it can be observable (looking for the body temperature is not really well seen and not really good for the career XD). Less frequent swallowing and an increased immune system can be also observable in hypnosis trance.  About the convincers that CompuCelebi stated I shared two example that people can do by themselves  in Looking for general advice's topic (General hypnosis discussion). Hope this is useful 

I would not have said it better   ( is this work how I wrote this or is it only a bad impression?)

To which does "this" refer: "I would not have said it better" or the entire post to which this post is a response?

In any case, I have been able to parse all of your few FurMorphed forum posts that I have thus far read.  However, parsing the one that is (coincidentally) referenced later in this post was difficult, despite me being a linguist whose native language is English.  Your English mechanics, especially the syntax, are sufficiently flawed to occasionally result in significantly decelerated parsing of your English communications.  Furthermore, most of your sentences that I have thus far read are syntactically incorrect and/or contain other linguistic errors, none of which are misspellings.

I am curious as to what your native language is and, based upon your username, conjecture that it is Japanese.

when I do therapy this it what I usually try to observe  for knowing that my client are under hypnosi.

Ah, you are a hypnotherapist?  I had yet to notice any FurMorphed members being hypnotherapists.

About the convincers that CompuCelebi stated I shared two example that people can do by themselves  in Looking for general advice's topic (General hypnosis discussion).

Soon after your post in question was transmitted, I read it and noticed the coincidence that it presented a "convincer" example, as my post in question did, and was posted on the day that followed the day on which it was (at least in my time zone, which is Pacific).  It seems that my conjecture that you had not yet noticed the post was correct.

For the record, my pseudonym is actually "Compu-Celebi," but for some reason, the software does not support hyphens in usernames.  I knew that, at some point, I would need to assert this.

First of all sorry for my English, I only had what I remember from Secondary School (4-5 year without really practiced ).

Also my first language is French so maybe I mixed the syntax of those two language. Translation site may not help to when I go got some help there.

About my username it is more a variant of my name backward (I don't really have imagination for username or characters name).

A little precision I'm not fully yet an hypnotherapist I must complete my training before but all my class are complete. 

About your conjecture you were right I enter and in this topic for the first time on February 15 (the day I posted up there)so I saw your post the same day.

Finally it is noted for your username and if you have some tips for my English I'm interested. Thanks for your feedback 

As far as my inexperience goes, I know trance is different for everyone. It's a state of deep relaxation, rly hard to describe, but let's say it's more like dreaming while awake, trying to mislead your body and your mind that your consciousness is relaxing in the backstage. To me when I try to go into trance my body starts checking on me if I'm awake or not, like some itchings, getting more saliva in mouth making me swallow a lot and such - quite annoying, but if u r able to ignore all of these you'll go deep into trance and may as well experience lucid dreaming :)

I've tried lucid dreaming before, but I guess that my dreams are so naturally vivid that I don't see the difference between them.

My subconscious is a much more interesting storyteller it seems.

Lucid dreaming is more about having control of the dream while you're dreaming rather than how vivid the dream is or isn't. 

I always notice my arms and legs getting tingly when going into a trance, but then I start wondering if I have poor posture and am cutting off circulation.