Senoji

Seeing Yourself as Your Fursona?

27 posts in this topic

This question maybe silly and was already asked, but since I couldn't find really any info I decided to ask.  

When doing a hypnosis file for long periods of time...

Can you see yourself as a furry or your fursona?

1 person likes this

With my experience, files alone won't do it. You need to think of how your day to day life would be as a furry. Using a tail as an example, I had to constantly think of where my tail would be when I sat down, how it would move when I walk, how it would wag when I would get excited or happy.

I've been trying, on and off, for about a year and a half. Still no further on this aspect than when I started, although what's to be expected if I don't put the effort in, hmm? >.>

I've heard a mix bag of results over the years (on other furry, tf & hypnosis sites), Personally I agree with Din, Hypnosis is a useful medium however it works best when augmented with that extra step on you (or the subjects) part.

I'm hoping I'll be able to do that, so far I've had no success.

While my experiences are from a long while ago (I've not done furry hypnosis in years although certain effects remain); going from those alone, I find "seeing oneself as one's fursona" is best understood as two separate, but connected things: Third-Person Visualisation (or what I always refer as 3PV), which in my opinion is the easier of the two, because it involves imagining what you look like from an outside persective; and First-Person Visualisation (or 1PV), which is seeing one's furry self with your own eyes (alas, I've never achieved this myself, except once or twice in a dream, I think). My advice would be to focus on 3PV before moving onto 1PV, because once you know what it would look like as reference, achieving 1PV should (in theory) be easier.

I personally say that 3PV is always going to be easy in comparison to 1PV. Getting visuals to happen in real-time, all-the-time, first-person view requires a person to ignore what their eyes are telling them (which is no easy feat)... which is why some people seem to have better success when they are "tired" or taking certain unmentionable hallucinogenic substances. Seeing past reality itself takes a lot more work than hypnosis alone...and is something that I've learned that I cannot do (nor is it something that seems very....safe to try, especially if you lose track of what you ~actually~ look like)...

But let me mention most of all with the little successes I did get: Mirrors are your enemy in this process. They are harder to ignore than anything else... so if you try getting visuals and then think to rush to the mirror and see, DONT. Not until you've firmly established and secured a visual on yourself...and even then...

But to remark on 3PV.. it's (imo) quite easy to do. It just takes a conscious enough effort and a healthy imagination. Take the time to get calm and quiet enough, close your eyes, and overlay the image of what you want on top of your own body.. really explore how the form you want to be thinks, acts, feels....and what kind of extra limbs you might have..... and how they'd move... just really taking the time to explore it within your mind and imagination... and then each day afterwards, trying to work in one thing at a time... Maybe you'll focus hard on a tail... how it would feel to move, how it sways, how it reacts, how large or small it is.... and day after day imagining what it would be like on you... I swear, it took me months to get to really "feeling" certain parts.

But to ultimately answer the topic's question..... My answer is for 3PV, yes...and rather easily with enough effort... For 1PV (not a quick visual....lasting results), unless you are one of those extremely rare few that works on it for years with various options, methods, and reinforcements....and still gets lucky enough to have lasting results? I doubt it.

3 people like this

Interesting, so we're initially working of the feeling of the body, rather than the visualization of one. I find that kind of goal just as satisfying, to be honest.

This actually only makes me even more confident to try working on hypnosis more often. I just really need to get some kind of headphones.

Edited by Kiniest

Long before I got into hypnosis back when I only used transformation meditation as a sleep aid in highschool I distinctly remember one instance where I was looking down a muzzle as the sun was setting and the sky lit up a bright red (lucid dream). that's the only time I can remember having 1pv other than that I always try to imagine 1pv while using hypnosis but it's a forced effort and doesn't ever last long. On the other hand I can easily visualize myself in 3pv though I find I often have trouble getting the feet quite right.

Edited by acidfang

I personally say that 3PV is always going to be easy in comparison to 1PV. Getting visuals to happen in real-time, all-the-time, first-person view requires a person to ignore what their eyes are telling them (which is no easy feat)... which is why some people seem to have better success when they are "tired" or taking certain unmentionable hallucinogenic substances. Seeing past reality itself takes a lot more work than hypnosis alone...and is something that I've learned that I cannot do (nor is it something that seems very....safe to try, especially if you lose track of what you ~actually~ look like)...

But let me mention most of all with the little successes I did get: Mirrors are your enemy in this process. They are harder to ignore than anything else... so if you try getting visuals and then think to rush to the mirror and see, DONT. Not until you've firmly established and secured a visual on yourself...and even then...

But to remark on 3PV.. it's (imo) quite easy to do. It just takes a conscious enough effort and a healthy imagination. Take the time to get calm and quiet enough, close your eyes, and overlay the image of what you want on top of your own body.. really explore how the form you want to be thinks, acts, feels....and what kind of extra limbs you might have..... and how they'd move... just really taking the time to explore it within your mind and imagination... and then each day afterwards, trying to work in one thing at a time... Maybe you'll focus hard on a tail... how it would feel to move, how it sways, how it reacts, how large or small it is.... and day after day imagining what it would be like on you... I swear, it took me months to get to really "feeling" certain parts.

But to ultimately answer the topic's question..... My answer is for 3PV, yes...and rather easily with enough effort... For 1PV (not a quick visual....lasting results), unless you are one of those extremely rare few that works on it for years with various options, methods, and reinforcements....and still gets lucky enough to have lasting results? I doubt it.

Definitely something I'll take into consideration. Thanks :) 

Senoji, I have been here for six years and in all that time this question has not just simply been asked on here until you did. I have no idea why. I think it's because a lot of older stalwarts were around whom it felt like they would already know that seeing yourself as your fursona is what you really want and therefore it would be too obvious a question.
But it's not.

I tried using hypnosis and staring at myself, trying to bend my mind to see myself differently, for at least three years. I gave up because, although the vaguest tinglings of feeling a tail were there, although I could assure myself I had fur, claws, even a muzzle, what I never saw was a proper 1st person visualisation. Occasionally through tiredness and low light I'd think that maybe I could will it on myself, but it always felt like I was pathetically trying to kid myself into seeing myself as my fursona when nobody else would, hence I now pursue the genetic TF option.

I want to give a big thank you to Kai Vulpini for that excellent explanation. You have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

HOWEVER:
if you believe in your heart of hearts that the best course in life for you is to hypnotise yourself so that you see, feel, smell, hear, taste as your fursona, don't stop trying. It can work and it does for those lucky enough to get it just right. It's not about the MP3 files or who the hypnotist is or which website you come to to share your experiences, it's about you and how hard you will try and what you can do for you.
THAT BEING SAID, with a little (read: a hell of a lot of) luck we will have the means to do furry transformations in 10 to 30 years, depending who you ask and how much science they know. If you are willing to wait it out for an only broadly specified period of time for a possible but not certain scientific means to change your whole body's cells en masse and make it grow into a new furry form, let me know and I'll get you on the list of interested folks. If you want something which MAY OR MAY NOT be more instant, depending on how your imagination works, how stressful your life is and what you put in your body, but which is not detectable per se to anyone else, go for the hypnosis. It's roughly equally likely to work out at the moment. Maybe in time we will better understand hypnosis too, so don't discount it. All options have their pros and cons. Some people even go for surgery, but given what happened to Stalking Cat, I'm not sure surgical techniques are quite there yet. They're darned good and a lot more real and tangible, however, but to my mind somehow messier.

And that's just my opinion, so take it with as much or as little salt as you like.

1 person likes this

THAT BEING SAID, with a little (read: a hell of a lot of) luck we will have the means to do furry transformations in 10 to 30 years, depending who you ask and how much science they know. If you are willing to wait it out for an only broadly specified period of time for a possible but not certain scientific means to change your whole body's cells en masse and make it grow into a new furry form, let me know and I'll get you on the list of interested folks.

What is this list you speak of? I may be interested.

And this;

It's not about the MP3 files or who the hypnotist is or which website you come to to share your experiences, it's about you and how hard you will try and what you can do for you.

I can confirm that this is correct. Files did help, but I found that thinking about how things such as how my tail would be positioned sometimes gives me a feeling of having a tail. I got that advice from Din :)

Edited by bejoja

Not very well.  It helps if it's dark so you can't see your "real" self to begin with.

Back when I was in high school and doing hypnosis the first time, I had great success with optical perception and phantom physical sensations of having a tail and muzzle.  Over time that faded, I think it's something that requires continued practice in order to achieve results.

What is this list you speak of? I may be interested.

Apologies for the very late reply, I have a pile of silly excuses and should still have checked this thread sooner.

I will PM you some more info.

And this;

I can confirm that this is correct. Files did help, but I found that thinking about how things such as how my tail would be positioned sometimes gives me a feeling of having a tail. I got that advice from Din :)

Din's right about that. :-) Phantom limb feelings are easier to induce than visual hallucination.

I was able to see myself as my fursona, but only for a few minutes.

Edited by Ptfman

I'm not a very imaginative person, so sensation based things such as phantom limbs work best for me. However there was once during a session with a friend that I could have sworn I saw my hand grow larger and more paw like, along with seeing a bit of a color change. I was exceptionally tired at the time, but was neat anyway. 

I feel like maintaining that level of visual self deception over any length of time is going require constant upkeep and patience.  I've only ever managed brief visual transformations, and in all the excitement of success I ended up reverting back pretty quickly.  I found that phantom sensation in an imagined body part (tail, ears, etc...) is a lot easier to achieve and maintain long term, and (as many people on here have suggested) it probably serves as a good foundation for building up the skillset for more permanent visual effects. 

I'm beginning to realize that my sense of visualization goes by too quick. I can visualize things, I very much have images in mind when I read for example, but I have a harder time sustaining that image, even with my eyes closed. I sure as hell don't see it! I'm going to keep practicing and see how it goes. I'm just counting numbers, trying to visualize them as if I was looking at them being displayed on a clock counting up.

I've noticed the noise pattern of my vision sometimes seems to vaguely match the number, but it's still not solid.

e: Another thought I just had about this was the ideas of different modalities. Basically, that which is easier to come to mind. I'm pretty certain that voices are very easy for me to remember, and generate, while images are a bit tougher. Not a surprise to me then that I go into trance well enough, since responding to voice is easy.

Edited by chimerror
Added additional information

In addition to regular hypnosis file use, in day-to-day life I like to listen to music where the lyrics or rhythm reinforce the TF.

Examples I use:

"Animals" - the cover by Living in Fiction

"Antigravity" - Starset

"Be Somebody" - Thousand Fout Krutch

"Cosmo Canyon" - the remix by Bitsymphony

"My Demons" - Starset

1 person likes this

I've found it's hardest to cause full-on visual hallucination, but if you give yourself a few props, maybe not-so-great lighting, big clothes, or even a full on fursuit, your mind is a lot more willing to accept the altered perception.  

For me that alteration is a very fragile thing, but my brain is a stone where I'd like to be a bit more like playdough.  Your mileage may vary.  I am given to understand once you've found an induction that works and you can get things to stick, repetition is the key to solid success.

I've actually tested a file or two on this, both in active trance and while sleeping. I can see it working on a far deeper level with a lot of focus on what you want.

I've skimmed over most of the replies thus far and haven't really tried much in musical or other reinforcements, though is worth a shot.

Side note:As I am typing this now I keep feeling my tail acting up and swaying from what little I've tried in to this so far. So just gotta see if I can get to the forced visual hallucination stage. At least until technology gives us the power to virtually augment our eyes.

I have, but it wore off quickly.