Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Din

Furry speech

16 posts in this topic

So for my speech class I have to do a persuasive speech and I decided that the topic is going to be (sorry if the way it is worded is horrible, it is just how it has to be written on the outline) to persuade my audience to not hate furries. My plan was to have the 3 main points as the friendly community, the costumes, and the beautiful artwork (the clean art). I'm allowed to use visual aids  so I was planning to use pictures in a power-point. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to tell me.

We don't need to actually persuade the audience, just to follow the speech format. (although it would be nice if it persuades the audience ^_^ )

A presentation on furries? That sounds fun! =D

For starters, you could use the fact that the audience will already know about anthropomorphism/furries. Take any cartoon, comic, or Disney movie, and I'll bet a costumed banana that there's a talking/humanoid animal in it. We all grew up with characters like Mickey or Sonic the Hedgehog, and we all remember them fondly. Use that as your starting point. 

Secondly, you were saying about highlighting the friendly aspect of this community? That sounds like a perfect idea, but always try to present both sides of the coin. Something like; "Its true that a darker, somewhat NSFW side of the community exists, but its this side that puts a lot of people off. Instead, let me show you what amazing things the furry community is capable of..." It would be a great way to alleviate doubt and segway into a presentation of artwork/music such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djazmmzEh48. (General Mumble! May not be your type of music, but he's made some great work.)

And show what the community can do. Like you said, this fandom has made some incredible artwork and costumes, so take the time to explain the skill and dedication it takes to accomplish such things.

TLDR; Use common interests and media to explain concepts which may seem strange, present both sides of the community and always have fun. If you're not, no one else will be either! =P

I was planning to start off with walking up to the front of the class and putting on a tail because the class doesn't know I'm a furry and we're supposed to "open with impact". The only one that knows I'm a furry is my professor because I needed to see if my "open with impact" would be acceptable and she said it would be awsome.

Building on Nano's suggestion, maybe you could mention the ancient roots of furriness. Greek centaurs, Egyptian animal-headed deities, etc. History is full of blending animal personalities or physical characteristics with human charatcers. Probably not a direct link to the fandom, but it'll spice up your report! :D

Another thing is that the speech has to be 4-6 min. I was thinking at some point focusing a bit on the conventions and fursuits. My sister goes to them so she has lots of pictures.

The modern day impacts would be a very good idea especially if you touch on the more charitable side of the fandom.

I'll ask my professor on Tuesday if I can have it recorded.

The information that he gives is very useful. It may change some of the things I say because I was gonna say something along the lines of "Now I know some of you may know that there is a dirty side to the fandom, but I don't know if you know this but negatives speak louder then positives because it creates drama, just look at the news. How much of the news is actually positive? You mostly hear about killings, robberies, and rape." But according to Kage, the best plan of action would be to not mention the negatives at all. Since it is a one sided speech I shouldn't have to worry about questions. (unless someone approaches me afterward)

Im not brave, it is just a requirement for a class that I was told I should/required to take.

I would have to respectfully disagree with Kage, as honesty is the best policy. =P (O Clichés, how I love thee...) I can see where he's coming from though, as only having 5 minutes to deliver the entire background on the furry community would be an impossible task. Maybe just mention it offhand, and move quickly on to your chosen subjects of persuasion?

Whatever you do though, good luck! =D

Well I've got till the 16th. I have a lot of time to come up with the final plan of action.

Also, just asked my professor and she said I can have my speech recorded.

Unfortunately, my professor said we have to give our speech using Monroe's motivated sequence. I basically have to give a reason why it is a problem people hate furries, a way they can help against hating furries, what the world would be like if people didn't hate furries, and what they can do to help.

I have to change my whole approach completely but I think I figured out what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna start off by saying that by out-casting furries it causes them to become loners when not around other furries or people that accept them and so on. Then I'm gonna say that they can help by accepting furries and not treating them like their different just because we where tails or other animal stuff. Then I'm gonna say something like "imagine a world where you can be free to express what you like and not have to worry about other people making fun of you".

I don't know what to say for what they can do to help so if anybody has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the triple post.

I just gave my speech and I don't think it worked because of how I had to change what I said. I unfortunately had to go against what Uncle Kage said but I couldn't think anything else to say.

On a better note, for the first time ever, I felt confidant speaking in front of people. If anything I got a good grade. Unfortunately the one who was supposed to record it forgot to record.

Edit: During my speech I said "If you want to know the real truth about furries, I have nothing going on after class that I would be glad to give them more details".

To my surprise someone actually stopped me and told me they only knew of the dark side and gave me the opportunity to explain in further detail about furries. Even if it was only one person, I consider the speech a success.

Edit again: I got 100% on my speech :w00t:

2 people like this