Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Palelija

DIY/mod/repair thread

Palelija   

I have a very bad habit of disassembling items, especially handheld things (and thus voiding their warranties!). I started to repair and mod things about 4-5 years ago, when my DS Lite's internal fuses blew. It was my very first project and it failed miserably. Now it's parts sit in my pile of spare parts. After that I didn't touch to my soldering iron for years.

Nowadays I'm pretty comfortable with my soldering iron, and I have done more than handful of mods, repairs and DIY (do-it-yourself for those who don't know) projects. Here's some pictures from my completed projects:

Soldering practice. My main goal was to solder one wire to every leg of the ICs. Unfortunately I ran out of wires and I couldn't wire one IC completely. That game still works!

My GameBoy! Teal backlight with modified audio outputs. It also has inverted screen for better contrast. The screen is almost unusable on the sunlight though!

Arduinoboy. I made a device that sends MIDI notes to and from GameBoy. Arduinos are the best thing ever.

My dear friend has a dead 3rd party N64 controller and I'm planning to do mod that gives it a new life as a PS3 controller. I should order parts that is needed for the mod.

Has anyone else modded their electronic items or repaired them? Or perhaps you have done something from a scratch?

I can't be the only one. ;O;

E: A picture of Arduinoboy added.

Din   

I recently modded My arcade fight stick to change the buttons from PCB to Sanwa buttons. It definitely feels better but I'm still bad at arcade fighting games.

I have also repaired the DC plug on my sisters old laptop after the little peg on the inside broke. While taking it apart though I broke the connecter that the key board goes into because I was unsure of how the connector comes apart. (but the laptop still works with the on screen keyboard)

I also currently have my sisters new laptop taken apart on my desk because she broke this one in the same way. I just need to solder the new piece back into place but she wants my dad to do it.

Palelija   

I recently modded My arcade fight stick to change the buttons from PCB to Sanwa buttons. It definitely feels better but I'm still bad at arcade fighting games.

Hurrah for Sanwas! It takes a few tries to play with a stick but they are oh so great after that! What kind of stick you are using?

I've soldered some kit electronics, done some old radio repair (replacing capacitors), and followed a few guides for modding a few specific items, like adding a programming header to my SAAB 900 turbo's ECU so that I could rewrite its firmware with a special USB adapter. :) I modded a phono preamp to run on battery because the AC power adapter was coupling in too much mains hum....

Din   

Hurrah for Sanwas! It takes a few tries to play with a stick but they are oh so great after that! What kind of stick you are using?

Playtech Pro arcade fight stick

(I was gonna post a picture but I couldn't figure it out)

I definitely play better on fight stick than controller but I'm still bad.

Palelija   

Playtech Pro arcade fight stick

(I was gonna post a picture but I couldn't figure it out)

Do you mean this?

Huh... There's a lot of empty space between the stick and buttons.  o_O  Now I'm tempted to buy one and mod it to have HitBox-styled button layout.  :thinking:

Din   

Yeah that is the one.

I've seen someone mod one to put a cup holder in the middle.

I will say if you do mod one it is a bit thin so you have to bend the 2 prongs on the bottom of the buttons so they will fit

Palelija   

Yeah that is the one.

I've seen someone mod one to put a cup holder in the middle.

I will say if you do mod one it is a bit thin so you have to bend the 2 prongs on the bottom of the buttons so they will fit

Huh, that seriously small then! I wonder it it can take Sanwa JLF with a small modifications... Do you happen to know if the top part is metal or plastic?

I added a picture of Arduinoboy to first post. It also has a better view of the GameBoy's backlight. Looks like one of the LEDs are dead and I have to replace it.

While talking about arcade sticks, I took a picture from my stick's insides.Stick is converted from Xbox 360 to PS3. The wiring is messy, but I'm too lazy to reorganize all of that. Small PCBs yo.

Din   

This was something I was looking at while I was modding my fight stick.http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/138547/project-twintail-d3vlicious-s-grade-playtech-pro-arcade-stick-mod

They got the button order backwards when wiring to the PCB so that was a bit annoying when I was wiring it. My fight stick looked slightly different on the inside so that may have been why.

Everything is plastic except the 2 metal weights inside the bottom.They said they had to cut a hole in the bottom to get the JLF to fit but I read somewhere that the stock stick is similar to a JLF but since I have never used a JLF I can't say.

Palelija   

This was something I was looking at while I was modding my fight stick.http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/138547/project-twintail-d3vlicious-s-grade-playtech-pro-arcade-stick-mod

They got the button order backwards when wiring to the PCB so that was a bit annoying when I was wiring it. My fight stick looked slightly different on the inside so that may have been why.

That's why always take notes by yourself. :P

Everything is plastic except the 2 metal weights inside the bottom.

That's good, it makes modding much easier!

They said they had to cut a hole in the bottom to get the JLF to fit but I read somewhere that the stock stick is similar to a JLF but since I have never used a JLF I can't say.

If it's a clone of JLF maybe you can just switch microswitches and actuator from the real JLF?  :thinking: