Sign in to follow this  
Nadro

The analytical mind

I have been doing hypnosis for a while now, but I cannot keep the post-hypnotic suggestions. I think it might be because of my analytical mind analyzing the file. I can get into a trance easily and the fireside of work a bit, but not fully. I do know it take so.e time for a file to work, but when no progress is made for about a few weeks, that is when I have think on what might be the problem. I did a little research and I think i found out that it might be my analytical mind. I would like to have some advice to calm my mind into analyzing the files and to stop the habit of repeating the hypnotist.

Thanks for your time.

For a while, less and less as you make progress, focus on not having thoughts during trance and listening to the file.

While this focus would obviously cause problems, done for long enough you should automaticaly end up quelling your thoughts and paying attention.

The problem I am having is not that I have random thoughts, even though it does happen from time to time, it is my mind analyzes the file and dissects it to the point where it losses its effect, but I do not do it

on purpose. My mind just goes into tha way of thinking when I do not want it to. I try to not tthink about the file and let it happen, but my mind then start to analyze the content within the file; trying to find meaning and understand. Sorry if I do not make much sense, but this is how my mind is. Is there a way I can calm my mind into not analyzing and dissecting the file? Would you think it would be better to try and calm my mind or think about the file before listening to give my mind some closure.

Thanks for your time.

If you're taking files apart and processing what's being said more than just the initial listen, keep in mind that while analysing suggestions and how they could possibly work can act as reinforcement. If you're repeating the hypnotist's words even in your head, that'll also reinforce it. Try going in even just armed with that bit of knowledge, it should help a bit :3

I have a similar issue. I can't help but repeat the words the hypnotist is saying. Although I think its problematic, I don't think it completely nullifies the effects. It probably just takes us longer than others for the effects we want to occur.

I've had some success with editing parts of files that disrupt my trance (unwanted sexual immagry, speech mistakes, noticble noise changes)

Edited by SilverWolf

I have the same issue. I've tried doing other things while listening to the file and had a little succes. Not a whole lot but more than doing nothing at all.

beer = less decision making

Beer = less clear thought in decision making. Don't drink and hypnotise :3

I have a similar issue. I can't help but repeat the words the hypnotist is saying. Although I think its problematic, I don't think it completely nullifies the effects. It probably just takes us longer than others for the effects we want to occur.

I've had some success with editing parts of files that disrupt my trance (unwanted sexual immagry, speech mistakes, noticble noise changes)

As I said earlier, repeating what the hypnotist says can very much be a good thing, if you let it. It doesn't nullify the effects; quite the opposite, you're validating a suggestion by reciting it, meaning it could be more effective over time.

I have the same issue. I've tried doing other things while listening to the file and had a little succes. Not a whole lot but more than doing nothing at all.

If you're trying to occupy yourself with something else while listening, might I suggest Bejewelled 3's "Zen Mode," the game is free on Origin at time of writing and may be worth trying for that :3

For everyone, shop around, try different inductions that you feel comfortable with. If you start listening to an induction and you find yourself analysing the words and ideas instead of the sound, voice or accent, that's a keeper :3 Your mind won't go quiet and just listen if you're anything like me, so give it something to analyse and remember to let the file (and your mind) work while you listen. Practice, don't be disheartened if it takes a few tries to get anywhere.

The analytical mind is something a few of us here suffer from :) 

Being a programmer by day doesn't help my situation, however with a bit of drink and lack of sleep that soon sorts things out :3 

Best suggestion I can give is to lie down and relax.  Before putting on the audio because it allows the mind to calm down, then play the audio and try not to think, but listen.  At first it can be hard so an exercise that worked for me (Not sure about you) if focus on your breathing.  Try everyday and eventually it will become a repetition.  Also another suggestion I can give is to do the audio when going to bed because it allows the subconscious to accept suggestions more easily.  As well as if you had a long and tiring day, then it is easy to not think, but relax.  

Not sure if these tips will help, but hope they do!

Try typing an induction for yourself in real time.

Talk about the room going away, your body relaxing bit by bit, your thoughts going away...etc.

This works for me, it helped me get used to the feeling of trance, and is good practice.

According to a book I've been reading, the best way to trance someone with an analytical mind is to have the conscious mind occupied with a task to keep it out of the way while you deliver the scripts to the subconscious mind.

However a non-analytical mind can be relaxed or tasked in order to be tranced.

Edited by acidfang

I have a few suggestions for this sort of problem:

1. Suggestions can be worded to make them difficult to reject. As an example, if I say to you "You are relaxing more and more now," you're probably going to analyze and then reject that statement, because you don't feel yourself relaxing more right now. However, if I say "You may not notice yourself getting more relaxed yet", you can't reject that statement, because it's completely true of your current experience, but it also heavily implies that you will eventually notice yourself getting more relaxed. It's sort of slipping it past your critical factor.

2. Speaking of slipping it past your critical factor, you may have more luck with covert suggestions. I have several friends who are. I'm the opposite, unfortunately, because I've learned to watch for covert suggestions, and they feel very manipulative to me, but if you haven't learned to watch for them, they might just slip right in.

3. I've heard that some people have success with acknowledging and thanking the analytical part of their mind, and then asking it to take a break during the session. Perhaps that might work for you.

4. Another thing that I've heard works for some people is imagining moving your sight behind your ears, like you're looking inside your own head into the space between your eyes, and then doing the induction.

My brain does this.  I attribute it to personality traits and my own special brand of crazy.  

Sushi's tips above are a good start.  It's all about getting around the filter.