Kiss shot

Human Voice or Text to Speech

Listening around a bit (not really going for any hypnosis just seeing what files from other sites are like), I have found that many files use a text to speech program for the voice, while others use someone's actual voice. Do any of you have a preference for one or the other? Personally I judge on case by case because some voices and some text to speech can be either really good or really bad.

Din   

I personally don't like text-to-speech because the way they speak annoys me how it sounds like some words run together and each individual word sometimes sounds like they are at a different volume.

• Like 2

Icii   

Varies wildly with real voices, some people's are hilarious, others were like rubbing a cheese grater on my ears, some are good. Text-to-speech tends to be fairly consistent, though not great. At least its tweakable, unlike a prerecording. Decent text-to-speech I feel could be the next big leap, for both this sort of hypnosis and in general. Sound files are comparitively huge for what they give; being able to TtS something would really reduce file size and allow for a lot more dynamicism and interaction.

Sabre   

It depends on the file, for the most part I prefer someone's real voice in a file. If it's a roboticisation file though, then TTS could work quite well. And to be fair, not everyone who uses TTS for file recording is bad at writing scripts, some just do it for privacy reasons or because their voice is just...really not suited to the craft.

Kanibal   

It depends on the file, for the most part I prefer someone's real voice in a file. If it's a roboticisation file though, then TTS could work quite well. And to be fair, not everyone who uses TTS for file recording is bad at writing scripts, some just do it for privacy reasons or because their voice is just...really not suited to the craft.

IMO Your voice or mic would have to be really really be not suited to the craft to resolve to using TTS. Timing, pace and emphasis are a massive part of making hypnosis effective and you lose all that - on top of the lack of dynamic suggestion (it's a recording, it can't read your trance). There was specific TTS software for hypnosis once though I didn't really track it because at the time you needed a programming major to understand script writing for it to get that timing and emphasis back. Even then it still sounded robotic and mismatched between words sometimes.

Icii   

If you're talking about what I think you are, yeah that was a nightmare to do. It also seemed to read in changes at the same pace as spoken text, so even if you did manage to change it during a session there'd be this all too obvious pause as it read through each change, silently. Was wondering if there'd actually be interest in a more modern implementation of it though. Could be a nice distraction.

Veilous   

I've seen some good text-to-speech files in my digging around, but although they do their job for the most part, human voices are better in most cases. 

Ophenia   

TTS is bad but I see where people come from by using them, for example use them with scripts with no audio files if you don't want to record your own.

Coyotech   

Yeah, I'm not a fan of text to speech. Depends on the voice or the script. I can stomach it sometimes, but it's usually too distracting. 

Asdftube   

A real voice is almost always better- but a bad mic basically has all the same problems that TTS has. That being said, with some types of file I've had better luck with TTS than actual voice.

I suppose it has more to do with the quality of the file than anything else.

tonal   

TTS is easier for me to sort of get lost in, but only if they've put effort into preventing mispronunciations and decent audio. Typically I like a bit of binaural stuff going on in the background to block outside noises a bit.

So really it all comes down to production values for me.

I've come across a few decent text-speech scripts, however nothing really trumps a calm and relaxing live voice. Though I"m opened minded to trying text files when I see them. ;)

cwmatman   

I'm yet another voice (see what I did there?) in favor of human voice recordings over TTS.  I agree that TTS is handy when there's an unrecorded script I want to try, and there are even some TTS voices I'd like if they just got the cadence right.  I suppose the obvious alternative would be to record my own voice, but I'd like it a lot better if it sounded like it does to me when I'm speaking. :)

Derpicus   

It's probably going to depend a lot on the listener and what they think of the presenter's voice.  The files I have listened to around the 'web have been largely ineffective I suspect partially because I didn't like the way the hypnotist spoke, so I never really achieve an open interface.

Omau   
On 9/4/2016 at 8:24 PM, Derpicus said:

It's probably going to depend a lot on the listener and what they think of the presenter's voice.  The files I have listened to around the 'web have been largely ineffective I suspect partially because I didn't like the way the hypnotist spoke, so I never really achieve an open interface.

This pretty much sums up my experience thus far. I can't take the TTS very well, if at all. the only other thing that seems to break my flow slightly is the over-use of the terms obey/obedience in lengthy inductions.

But as quoted, mostly person to person basis. Have yet to experience live voice hypnosis myself.

Derpicus   
On 9/17/2016 at 1:48 AM, Omau said:

This pretty much sums up my experience thus far. I can't take the TTS very well, if at all. the only other thing that seems to break my flow slightly is the over-use of the terms obey/obedience in lengthy inductions.

But as quoted, mostly person to person basis. Have yet to experience live voice hypnosis myself.

Right at it.  Too much repetition and I'm an objective listener consciously evaluating everything said.  Anything clever?   Poof full objectivity.  I suspect most of us know the basics of how this works, but real mastery probably comes from experience and observation of results... something that's hard to get on the Internet.

Still, results can be achieved, and multiple sessions with the same goal demonstrates repetition at some level does hold good, or even strong, success.