Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amaroq Starwind

I wish hypnosis was as easy as it was in the stories

You know, things like "look into my eyes" or "let me tell you a story", or the stereotypical pocketwatch thing, or some kind of medicinal supplement that aided the process of going into trance... Or subliminal messaging so powerful that what might sound like white noise to the conscious mind could teach you how to drive a car in seconds, stuff like that.

Why does hypnosis in real-life have to be so much more difficult?

Kanibal   

.. because hypnosis in real life is real.

Role play and fiction is always there for the thrill but really, true hypnosis isn't that difficult and I've seen all of those corny lines used more than once. I myself even own a pocket watch though more as a joke.

Sabre   

Also because a story featuring hypnosis has to be somewhat obvious (mostly, depending on the intended audience) that it's hypnosis and not just manipulation, or the author might not have encountered real hypnosis enough to know how to work it into a story, so they go with the over the top but easily recogniseable hypnosis we know from the stage and from fiction :3

darktail   

Stories simplfy it like they simplify everything.  No one wants to read a story that takes ten chapters before the character gets hypnotized.

It probably is better that it is more difficult considering how much hypnotists in stories can get away with, personality wise.  Being able to make someone do almost anything with just a few calming words and a pocket watch would definitely be frightening.

beep   

It would turn it from something useful into a security vulnerability that would need patching. This would be unfortunate.

Gevad   

Then how easy would it be to patch and unpatch?  If hypnosis was 100% effective then you could hypnotize little kids and tell them they should ignore all other hypnosis or that they're no longer hypnotizable.  Would someone be able to undo that later in life?  100% effective hypnosis would turn us into slaves for the first person we were near when we learned how to understand words.  As much as I don't like how it's not easy, I'm also glad it's not easy. 

Since your brain can control your hormone levels, maybe in this fantasy world it might be easy to hypnotize yourself into staying a preteen or teenager.  No more puberty or puberty forever!