Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Henry

Science is Making it Possible to Switch Bodies

Henry   

I just came across an interesting article which could change the way we view the world. University Pompeu Fabra, in Barcelona has been working on having people switch bodies using an oculus rift, a virtual reality headset made for video games.

The article is very fascinating and we could be looking at the closest thing to transformation as possible in our lifetimes. This article shows how two people can see through each other's eyes and basically control one another somehow. It's not thoroughly explained how they communicate, but this is just incredible! It could even make it possible to essentially see yourself as some sort of avatar in the real world.

You guys thinking what I'm thinking? What do you think of the possibilities of "The machine to be another"?

Oros   

That looks awesome! Although I don't think they are controlling each other, just mimicking each others movements.

I wonder how long until some company makes it so when wearing the headset you can see virtual images projected over reality.  Once they do that, then you could see your avatar in the real world.

Awesome, now we just need to find a way to create a body, find a way to transfer our minds inside, and we're good to go  ^_^

( And a ton of money :|  )

Palelija   

Like Oros wrote, they aren't really controlling each other, just mimicking.

Basically what is happening in the videos is that participants' are sending video from their eye level to each other. At the same time they receive that video to their headset. The feel of being in "the different body" comes from "mirror neurons". Wikipedia has a good article about mirror neurons.

What is happening in the videos isn't really a new thing, they are just using different and maybe more efficient hardware.

I wonder how long until some company makes it so when wearing the headset you can see virtual images projected over reality. Once they do that, then you could see your avatar in the real world.

The closest what there currently might be is this. Only time will tell how it comes out and what happens after them.

Oros   

The SpaceGlass stuff is really cool. Can't wait to see where they go with this technology. (hopefully video-games)

Uploading yourself into a new body probably won't happen in our lifetimes though. :'(

Henry   

No, but being able to view yourself in a different body might.  :w00t:

Henry   

Well, you may be able to look through their eyes, but being able to move in sync is a totally different story.

I feel like...this could have really disasterous results. I mean if used the wrong way it could really cause some bad things to occur.

And yet Dwarf Fortress players gratuitously use magma and a plethora of other dangerous things.

Why?

For the sake of fun or Fun.

kimidayo   

Ah, the oculus rift.

Well, yes, as anything is possible through the telling of stories, you can make a screen close enough to your eyes to experience the visuals of what a main character sees much more vividly.

It's rather effective in horror games, but that's a far cry from really seeing things through someone else's head, as you're just looking at artwork in a different way. I don't think Science will be capable of that within the next century or so, if ever.

kimidayo   

Oh, but life is art, is it not?

I never said they shouldn't expand upon it. I'm just saying that the oculus rift is simulation, but doesn't invoke natural stimuli in the same way the science fiction premise of ending up in someone else's body would. The creators of horror and general first person games will never fully understand the intricacies of what it's like to be terrified - and are most likely unable to create a real human being as a main character, thus making the oculus rift more of a trinket that adds to the experience rather than a simulation of what it's like to be in that situation.

But I'm sure Science might find a way to play around with body swapping. Give it a couple milleniums or so.

Din   

And hopefully when its created that It's not something only the rich can afford so that more people can use it.

I can see this leading to a mutual-avatars situation, where people do 'telehosting': timeshare-bodyswaps to save the cost of transport. You find someone who wants to visit the UK, for example, and they live in, say, Georgia, which is handy because you live in the UK and want to visit Alabama but can't afford the plane tickets. So you and they both hide wallets and other sensitive stuff where they won't be found, or leave them in the trust of friends who know what you're doing, and then don virtual-bodyswap gear based on Oculus Rifts, motor neurone controlling electrodes and webcams, mics and speakers and more. You remotely inhabit the person at the same time as they remotely inhabit you. You have a mutual agreement to do one another no harm and to avoid any hanky-panky. You then have most of a day, from just after breakfast to just before dinner, and can of course repeat a few days in a row if you need to. During that time, you could travel to Alabama and visit some friends, explore some places and help them do stuff. Meanwhile, the host body's brain is occupied being telehosted in your body, walking around Dartmoor or somewhere. It would be a step up from telepresence but with some serious uncanny-valley crossed with Freaky Friday risks and weirdnesses.

Effectively it would be a technological form of multiple personalities, but double-sided.

GaJeer   

In addition to the NO factor to letting someone I haven't even ever met use my body... How would you connect? The internet isn't quite so reliable when you're out in the middle of nowhere on your way to whatever would make you wanna visit Alabama. Theoretically possible, yes. Practical? Not so much. Maybe in the future, maybe. I just can't see it as being a good idea. Also... What happens if brit-guy is still in Georgia-guy's body, in Alabama, and a tornado comes through, and Georgia-guy's body dies with Brit-guy in it!? Do they both die? Does brit-guy experience the death and then just walk away with PTSD? Kinda scary, really. Sorry if this is useless rambling! I can't always tell! :oops:

Henry   

Theoretically, if a person dies while someone is borrowing their body, the mind which is inside said body should return and the other person would die. Makes sense since the person is only sending signals from their mind and is not actually in the other person's body.

As for connectivity, according to scientists, within ten years microchips will be so small and so inexpensive that at that time almost anything can have built in wi-fi. Roadways, wallpaper, clothes, ect. So they believe internet will be available anywhere in the world, for free, in the near future.

Not only that but there's a bonus!

Well, it was just a thought as to what is potentially possible with that kind of technological direction if taken far enough, not necessarily a comment on how practical it would be ^^;
I agree, telepresence robots are a safer idea. I just sort of thought this might be a logical way things might go if mind uploading and other humanity+ ideas take serious hold. I'm not talking about current internet speeds and coverage, but rather that of a future in which pretty much every square metre has at least a couple of hundred gigabits per second.