Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kanibal

2014 Revival: Removal of the 16-18 registrations

Should the 16 to 18 registration bracket be removed?   23 members have voted

1. 1. Please READ the post and topic before voting.

• Yes, remove the underage registration bracket (Must be legal adult to register)
    • No, allow the younger age bracket to continue on FM

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

Note: These polls are ideas! Right now staff numbers are low and it's better to discuss and vote directly with the members. The points I put forward will be from a mostly staff perspective of the situation and will be my reasons for thinking this deserves a poll.

Removing the 16-18 registrations

Since it was founded FurMorphed has allowed younger users than most other furry/hypnosis websites.  Initially allowing users as young as 13 to register for an account.  Over time that was raised to 16 as a minimum and now the time has come for me to talk about raising it again for ease of moderation and freedom of content reasons.

My reasons for wanting to raise the registration age again to make the site adults only is to clear up confusion over what the age bracket means.  We all know that in the UK 18 is the age and in the US it varies up to 21 and to make content moderation easier it would be simpler if we didn't have the 16-18 bracket, which allows UK users to register 2 years early but allows US registrations up to 5 years early!  I don't want the confusion of all these multiple brackets it's simpler than explaining to just make the place legal adult in your country and call it there.

What this means:

Firstly anyone already registered will be allowed to stay.  I'm not sure it affects a great many people but just in case - we wont be throwing anybody out.

A relaxing of the rules!  From what I have seen and heard people are hesitant to post because they are not sure what they can post and certainly from a staff perspective it would be easier for us to bracket the site differently and moderate from there.  It gives me and any other staff a lot less to think about.

So there you go, there is that plan to make the revival a much simpler act - what say all of you?

Personally, I think it would be a lot simpler if it was restricted to 18+, but I would have to vote to keep the bracket. The reason is that FurMorphed is a very small community at this point, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but there are few members who actually participate. There is a large percentage of the people who join FM that are in the age bracket. Making it 18+ could lower the site's view count meaning less people will be less likely to join FM.

I joined when I was 16 and if I had to be 18 to join, I might not have come back because I would have forgotten about FM in those 2 years. From my time here, I noticed a lot of members 16-25 years old, though most were 16-18. I have been gone for a while so things may be different now, but I still think that the bracket should remain to give those visitors a chance to be a part of something great.

I do see your point, and I understand it, a lot of our members have joined around that age and often then come back but this is in a way a factor in things we would like to change. FM has a very small presence on the net and in the wider community as a whole and also, sad to say, has a pretty low overall success rate.

You say in those 2 years you would have forgotten about us, maybe so, but only because we are such a small presence and we aim to change that...

The issue we have with the success rate of hypnosis is largely down to the legalities of working with people or providing material for people who are not considered adults in their country or state. I have a host of friends, and myself included in this, who would gladly provide sessions either in text or live or make files more frequently if the user base were of a more mature level. No I don't mean adult content* I mean more patient and developed in their understanding of the processes involved in hypnosis. *That doesn't mean I am excluding that sort of content. We can't say that what we have here are experienced subjects - we have people with little to no understanding coming in expecting it to just work out of the box, or off the movie screen as it were.

The alternative in my eyes is that we change the ratio of experienced people to newcomers. If there were more experienced and knowledgeable people there and prepared to give advice I don't think people would ever have the problem where the leave and come back later as adults because they could learn here.

This amongst the host of simplifications it would bring to management of the site. What I want to achieve is not to limit the age range of the site, this is merely a means to do what I think FM should do.

I see what you are saying. You want to improve the quality of the hypnosis side of the site so that members can have a better understanding of how it works and hopefully improve their chances of success. Having mature members can help ensure that people know what to expect and not be, well, ignorant on how hypnosis works. 

I came here for the same reason as everyone, to find a way to use hypnosis to make my dreams come true. I know the feeling that everyone has to wanting the hypnosis to work and I can understand your idea to raise the age to 18. Luckily, I am one of the few who did succeed in my attempts, to an extent, when I came here.The help I received from experienced members was invaluable and I can understand the need for quality control. If you decide to remove 16-18 registrations, I will follow wholeheartedly. It is the correct decision to help maintain an aspect of value in the site.

If it's easier to just remove that middle bracket you should probably just do that, In regards to this change altering the total potential user pool of FM, I don't think it would effect things either way too much. How many people do you figure actually read and then agree to every EULA placed before them? I imagine either way at least a quarter-maybe half the future users who are under that age are going to lie and bump up their age to match the minimum for which ever option you go with. As a joke you could probably even set the minimum age to seven thousand and people would still swear they were that old if they had to be.

Removing the 16-18 range will divert a few younger potential users, but a lot would just end up lying about their age to get into the site.

And then they'd end up in the mature sections.

If your goal is raising FurMorphed's knowledge of hypnosis, then something that would help far more would be allowing users to create mental trait profiles.

On our profile pages, there should be some section where we just write everything we know about the way we tick, and by comparing reports and profiles, the overall knowledge of hypnosis on the site could go from being below-par to quite exceptional.

Ultimately, yes, people are going to fake their age. Welcome to the internet, I've been here a while too - but faking your age on registration / not reading the agreements is not my problem and not something I have to regulate for. What I do have to regulate for is what we say is permitted on the site so if we say that age bracket is allowed to be here then we have to cater for them by adding restrictions and monitoring things more closely - if they break the rules and come here then more fool them, that's then their responsibility.

The freedoms of speech that the older members will feel they gain by not having to watch themselves around children (Okay, not quite but for the means here...) will probably encourage more discussion. Either way the site is changing a lot and I'm going to be redrafting the policies and rules and regulations stuff so I needed peoples opinions on this...

As for allowing profile sections regarding subject personality - that's a good idea. I don;t think it will improve the knowledge of hypnosis at all, and I don't see how it could when inexperienced people evaluate their ability as a subject with no knowledge of how it works, however it does lead the site more towards people accepting sessions from people we recognise as being able hypnotists. The issue with that will always be though, who is able and who has an ego - common problem, but beside the point.

1 person likes this

Good point.

Discussion here does seem a tad cropped.

As for how a mental profile would help understanding of hypnosis: in the effort of creating their profile, users would be more vigilant of how their mind works; and we will also be able to work out what hypnosis works best for different mental traits (Finding out whether a person who can listen to many conversations simultaneously does better with polyphonic files, for example.), if people are blogging properly.