Sign in to follow this  
Nobody

What should everyone be watching?

I notice that we don't have a thread for show recommendations, lets try and change that! What are you watching right now? How about anything you've just finished, or what about any upcoming new seasons or shows altogether?

To begin with I'd like to recommend Arrow, based on DC Comics' Green Arrow*. The show is currently mostly through its second season as of now, next episode should be next weekish. Switching between present time and five years ago, Arrow tells the story of Oliver Queen who has returned from the dead to Starling City with a list of names swearing to set things right. The acting, and stunt work are pretty great, and the plot is engaging. As for how friendly the show is to people who haven't been following it? No clue, I've seen every episode so I'm not really sure how clear things would be if you jumped into the middle.

Two or more things I'd like to leave this first post with, a pair of videos, quick warning the second video probably contains spoilers, particularly for how the first season ends. So if you are concerned about that sort of thing you may or may not want to skip that one.

arrow season 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oUgKtYUPPw

arrow season 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlkGOk-633U

*no clue how closely I don't really read comics.

I have been meaning to watch that but I never got around to it, but I never knew it actually good. :P

I haven't actually watched tv in so long! Since I got a Wii U I spent all my time watching nothing but Netflix and Youtube, but I will throw in my two cents.

I have spent the last couple months watching all the Star Trek series. I never was one to enjoy sci-fi but this show changed my mind. My favorite is the original series since it is full of action but everyone in the world seems to love The Next Generation better so I suggest starting with either of those two. All the Star Trek series is available on Netflix Instant Watch, at least here in America.

It's been a while since I've watched anything on an actual TV, but I'd recommend the show Bones.  It's a crime drama show (currently at 9 seasons I believe) that follows a forensic anthropologist who studies the remains of murder victims in order to find their killers.  Be warned though, some of the scenes (and especially the corpses) are rather graphic.

I demand a continuation of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!

We've only had two galaxy-dwarfing robots!

This is the eight time I've seen/heard someone has mentioned this show today O.o  You have convinced me to watch it.

Also Suits is a pretty good show, its in the middle of a new season now.

I've only seen a dozen handfuls or so of each Star Trek, what do you think of the other series like Voyager and Enterprise?

If someone were to try and get into either Bones or Suits, assuming you couldn't start from the beginning where would be a good place to start? I notice Bones has almost two-hundred episodes, that's a lot! any particular episodes that can't be missed?

I've only seen a dozen handfuls or so of each Star Trek, what do you think of the other series like Voyager and Enterprise?

I am currently in the final season of Deep Space Nine. I am going in order including movies and up next is Voyager! I will let you know when I get to it, although I have heard that Enterprise is good. It is 2 the Ranting Gryphon's favorite.

Voyager is one of my favorites the acting is spot on the writing could use some work.

Enterprise is a really good show it just has the problem of rewriting star trek history which is no good at all.

So for those who enjoy silly videos this one is about voyager:

I remember there was a show called "Mentalist" or similar and I remember watching some episodes from here and there and it felt nice show. is it still being aired?

Also BBC's Sherlock is good show too. Too bad they do only 3 episodes per season.

Ha, that count in the Voyager video has to be a joke or wrong or something right?

Second recommendation Continuum. Continuum tells the story of Kiera Cameron CPS officer from the year 2077, who is dragged into the past when rebel group Liber8 puts into motion a plot to change the past, and ensure that the future never comes to pass. One of the things I rather like about Continuum is how each episode generally opens up with a scene depicting something from 2077. Continuum is currently in its third season, as of this post the next episode should air tomorrow, tomorrowish.

Lastly some trailers.

Season 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56augYhYdTA

Season 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJ36XqU4aQ

Season 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMVmY-LEI4

Ha, that count in the Voyager video has to be a joke or wrong or something right?

No originally they wanted the show to be about conservation of resources but they kinda gave up on that.

Or if I rephrase:

Full Spread

Saw the first two seasons of Sherlock, I liked it too haven't been able to sit down and see the third yet. The mentalist, that's the one with the psychic right?

The mentalist, that's the one with the psychic right?

Yeah, that's the one I meant!

(A bit off-topic. In Finland television channels quite often translates show's name awkwardly or weirdly. For example 'The Mentalist' is just 'Mentalist' and 'Sherlock' is 'The New Sherlock') /offtopic_end

Anyone watching Agents of SHIELD? It's nice but I've heard some people say it had a sort of slowish start, sentiment I agreed with. The latest episode, last week's I mean not today, which hasn't aired yet... I think. Has what appears to be a spoiler for Winter Soldier, so uh heads up about that. Haven't seen the movie yet so I can't be completely sure but I am fairly sure.

If you like lesbians and Captain Janeway, you'll love Netflix's Orange is the New Black. Do give it a few episodes though - the first few are still great, but make the series seem like it's going in a predictable way.

I notice that we don't have a thread for show recommendations, lets try and change that! What are you watching right now? How about anything you've just finished, or what about any upcoming new seasons or shows altogether?

To begin with I'd like to recommend Arrow, based on DC Comics' Green Arrow*. The show is currently mostly through its second season as of now, next episode should be next weekish. Switching between present time and five years ago, Arrow tells the story of Oliver Queen who has returned from the dead to Starling City with a list of names swearing to set things right. The acting, and stunt work are pretty great, and the plot is engaging. As for how friendly the show is to people who haven't been following it? No clue, I've seen every episode so I'm not really sure how clear things would be if you jumped into the middle.

Two or more things I'd like to leave this first post with, a pair of videos, quick warning the second video probably contains spoilers, particularly for how the first season ends. So if you are concerned about that sort of thing you may or may not want to skip that one.

arrow season 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oUgKtYUPPw

arrow season 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlkGOk-633U

*no clue how closely I don't really read comics.

I just started watching it on Netflix thanks to your recommendation. The story and action is good, I am enjoying the show so far. I am not a comic reader so I have no idea how close this adaptation resembles the real story, but I feel as if they might have reimagined a lot of the story just for the show. Doesn't feel like the real Green Arrow to me yet. I will have to keep watching.

Game of Thrones is an absolutely amazing show, pretty graphic, but amazing. Although, it might be hard to watch since it's only on HBO right now. It's currently in it's 4th season.

I have heard great things about Game of Thrones. Everyone seems to love it but, like you said, I have no way of watching it at the moment. I really want to see it though!

Exactly how closely does GoT follow the books? Is it like a straight up adaptation, or is it a more Dresden Files sort of deal?

From what I've heard from people who read the books, they do take a few liberties with the show. As one person said as an example, "they took out some sex scenes and added in new ones". He recommended reading the books first, but different people have different feelings toward this kind of thing. Some people prefer the Harry Potter books instead of the movies, for example.

Heh, I used to go to high school with Stephen Amell from Arrow. Continuum is definitely worth watching as well. I'm a die-hard BBC1 Sherlock fan as well.

Anyway, beyond the shows already listed here, I'd recommend:

• Person of Interest
  • The Blacklist
  • Almost Human
  • Elementary

Yeah. Honestly, the plots are really contrived and the show overall isn't that great. But the chemistry between the two mains is freaking phenomenal. It completely makes up for everything else, and is worth it just for that.

Finally decided to watch BBC's Sherlock... saw all three seasons in a week... so I would strongly recommend it.