Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gamma

Massive spike of fox furries on the internet

I have to say that after reading this that it may not come down too a single point, that It could just be a mix of all the reasons, that and I personally believe that we see more of them because they get more exposure then a lot of the other types.

I'm rather new to all this and am surprised how many foxes there are. It is tempting to jump on the bandwagon and join the largest group. Maybe more people thought this way resulting in the huge growth of foxes. (Although this don't explain how the group grew so large in the first place)

Guest Psidra

I'm not sure why people are surprised, Foxes are the kind of main typical Furry character as represented in the furry fandom, even being the one shown in wikipedia. So I suppose that leads to it, and also because of what Kairen said.

I'm not sure why people are surprised, Foxes are the kind of main typical Furry character as represented in the furry fandom, even being the one shown in wikipedia. So I suppose that leads to it, and also because of what Kairen said.

So what that means is that a whole bunch of people came into the furry fandom and picked the species they saw most in the fandom?

Well, I guess The Fox and Dust got released at roughly the same time (A year is nothing to an eternal fandom!)

Though I do like foxes and they were one of the few things I considered for my fursona (don't know if I would go so far as to call ot that), the bobcat beats it for me thanks to my inner hipster. Red pandas are also on the list.

I guess foxes are popular for a lot of reasons such as foxes just being great in general and perhaps wanting to fit in.

I'd like to think I don't gravitate towards foxes just because they're popular/awesome looking (although they are). I really didn't even know how popular they were when I first started aligning with them. I'm very big into mythology and folklore so I always knew the fox as the cunning trickster (both good and bad), and then when I started running into kitsune in anime and added in the japanese folklore I was just like "damn I act like that so much". Originally I used to use "tiger/tigress" in a lot of stuff, and I loved (and still love) white tigers, but that was always more of just a "they're awesome" way, whereas foxes just sort of resonate with me.

And this was all before I even knew of the furry fandom XD

I always thought I fell in between cat like traits and wolf traits (contemplative introspection (and shyness) of a cat, fearse loyalty (and competitiveness/aggressiveness) of the wolf.

Sounds a bit like myself. Perhaps I should do more reasearch on the fennec foxies