Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gamma

Massive spike of fox furries on the internet

Has anyone else noticed the high number of foxes on the internet? For example just check the new users list! So many foxes! Almost every furry site I go to has a ton of foxes. Even doridian mc server!

Foxes have always been common as muck in the fandom, I don't know why. Wolves usually come a close second as well.

I don't think it's a spike of foxes so much as a spike of new furries and to start with everyone picks a fox. To start with I actually picked a wolf but was later changed. I've now been a fox long enough that I like to exclude myself from the 'everyone just picks to be a fox' and think this is more really what I like than a lazy decision.. but I know, I would say that. I'm a fox.

As if to prove the point by having two foxes post a response in a row...

What Kanibal said, foxes always have an always will be popular in the fandom, along with wolves and huskies.  Though, I've played a fox character on and off since long before I even know what furries were, myself.

Also, as I recall a couple years back there was some furry survey that showed wolves as being more popular.  I guess foxes are just more visible or something.

*foxes about*

Though I do have a secondary 'sona, never had the time to put it down on paper though (*cough*lazy*cough*). Nothing special, a dog xD

One could argue a obout some sort of collective unconscious that makes many identify as a fox, but a simpler explanation could be that.... Yeah, I should put more thought into it. Foxes make news, that is all.

As if to prove the point by having two foxes post a response in a row...

What Kanibal said, foxes always have an always will be popular in the fandom, along with wolves and huskies.  Though, I've played a fox character on and off since long before I even know what furries were, myself.

Also, as I recall a couple years back there was some furry survey that showed wolves as being more popular.  I guess foxes are just more visible or something.

Wolf furries are trickier to quantify, as they're popular with non furries as well.

Foxes will dominate the interwebz! Your soul is next! Among other things.

I was a feline before I was a dragon before I was a fox.

My boyfriend at the time suggested foxes and I just sort of fell into the hole.

Anyways, All Aboard the Foxtanic!

I always thought I fell in between cat like traits and wolf traits (contemplative introspection (and shyness) of a cat, fearse loyalty (and competitiveness/aggressiveness) of the wolf.

Then I found fennecs and they just kind of fit ... (besides we are the cutest creatures on the planet  :oops: )

For now my fursona is a wolf but for me it really lies on what for mood i am in to be a certain creature. So if i'd say i'm not always a wolf sometimes i feel like a fox (or kitsune), sometimes a cat sometimes a horse. I'ts like a roller coaster for me to decide what i'd really want my fursona (and me) to be. XD

:omfg:  *his tea is now foxes* Dangit, even when I'm not in the Fun Forums the weirdness follows me out.

What is the appeal of foxes for newcomers though? I never really understood it.

I think it's easy to choose generic creature syndrome for any newcomer. I didn't honestly think it was as bad these days with other creatures like racoons and otters sorta rising in numbers to fill the space.

..There are still a lot of the big bushy tails about though.

I think it might be a slight misstep people make when first creating their fursonas. Canids are incredibly popular (everyone I know either has a dog, or directly knows one person who does), so they go "I'll be one of those. But everyone's probably a dog/wolf... Hmm... What if I try fox?" Then they step through the doors and realise just how many people had the same train of thought.

But what do I know? I'm just sitting here being a tiger. Not sure I ever changed my avatar for it though. Ho hum. I might need to get on that.

I think it's easy to choose generic creature syndrome for any newcomer. I didn't honestly think it was as bad these days with other creatures like racoons and otters sorta rising in numbers to fill the space.

..There are still a lot of the big bushy tails about though.

huehuehuehuehue

commission___muffinbutt_by_maki_tak-d67v

This tail has enough fur for all the furries.

Just felt more right to me. To be honest, I had a time on here where I experimented with Raccoon, but it still just didn't fit me as well.

*pokemons just to be different.

but seriously, I always thought that foxes were so common because of how romantic they are. Foxes more than anything have appeared in folklore, and they also tend to be one of the only ones portrayed in both a good and bad way (as malicious tricksters, but also as clever and intelligent protectors).

o_O I did not expect this many comments on this topic so fast! 

Foxes will dominate the interwebz! Your soul is next!

:evil: 

Well.. we look around at pop culture and.....

Disney's Robin Hood
Tails (from Sonic the Hedgehog)
Fox McCloud (Star Fox)
Todd (The Fox and the Hound)

Le Renard (Le petit prince... it's a kid's story if you ever read it...known in english as "the little prince")
Kitsune folklore

Aesop's fox
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Dr. Suess' Fox in Socks
Beatrix Potter tales
Brer Fox (Song of the South)

Honest John (Pinocchio)
Lots and lots and lots of Anime

Spy Fox

and lots more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxes_in_culture

My personal favorite is the Opera: The Cunning Little Vixen :P

Well.. we look around at pop culture and.....

Disney's Robin Hood

Tails (from Sonic the Hedgehog)

Fox McCloud (Star Fox)

Todd (The Fox and the Hound)

Le Renard (Le petit prince... it's a kid's story if you ever read it...known in english as "the little prince")

Kitsune folklore

Aesop's fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Dr. Suess' Fox in Socks

Beatrix Potter tales

Brer Fox (Song of the South)

Honest John (Pinocchio)

Lots and lots and lots of Anime

Spy Fox

and lots more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxes_in_culture

My personal favorite is the Opera: The Cunning Little Vixen :P

Anime is more cats though.

I wasn't saying that we dominate the internets and anime! But there are a lot of us in them.