Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EeveeFan

What Kind of Books do You Like?

Seems kinda weird that there's no topic about that, so I'll just make one.

I mostly like fantasy, and currently reading Spice & Wolf's 7th volume. I also enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series, and Incarceron was nice, too. I did like the books Q&A, White Fang, and I'm looking forward to reading Les Misèrables and Don Quixote.

So... if there's anyone else who enjoys reading here - what kind of books do you like to read?

Guest Urtagh

I like to read a lot of fantasy. My favorite has to be the Kingkiller series by Patrick Rothfuss. Right now I'm working through Chalker's Well World series, which I have mixed feelings about, and I'm supposed to be reading the Adventures of Augie March for Saul Bellow.

I like stuff that has good character development in it and I like fantasy and science fiction.

Reading World War Z right now, and in the past I've enjoyed The Lord of the Rings trilogy (would like to read the Silmarillion), the Thomas Covenant books (still need to read that last one), "I, Robot" (haven't read the rest of Asimov), Barbara Hambly's books (especially the Dragonsbane quadrilogy), and probably some stuff I forgot.

Guest Gunblazer

I like me some good fantasy and sci-fi. And some zombie ficiton as well. World War Z is in my top favorites. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is probably my most or second-most favorite book.

Guest Finrin

Fantasy and a bit of sci-fi on the side. Read quite a lot of discworld and Philip K. Dick. Have a stack of book i need to get through by the bed high enough to make quite a large bookslide ^^.

For me, any book with a great narrative will do. But the ones that I enjoy the most are detective novels, with And Then There Were None ( Also known as Ten Little Niggers ) as my favorite book of all time.

I love a good mystery or at least a story structure that has elements that has a puzzle or solvable aspect to them. I like to anticipate and dislike when something is obvious or isn't smartly written. Just got Nadine Gordimer's "Jump and other stories" over the holiday break from amazon, and am loving it to pieces. Didn't read the fine print and got a copy with pen-ed notes.

I mostly enjoy reading fantasy and occasionally sci-fi :3 but I also don't mind the occasional romance if it's written well.  Detective, mystery and horror stories are fun, too.

I used to read a lot of military fiction, but I've kinda moved away from that >.< maybe it was just the author, but most of the stories were really quite similar to one another.

Eh. I like quite a lot of books, but most of them fall into the fantasy/sci-fi realm. 

I've greatly enjoyed:

Most of the Halo novels ("The Flood" is pure crap)

The Shadow War Chronicles, George Lucas & Chris Claremont (and it's NOT about Star Wars! LOL)

The Harry Potter series

1984, George Orwell

Farenheit 451, Ray Bradbury

Ringworld, Larry Niven

Neuromancer, William Gibson

Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk 

Uh.... I guess as a reader I'm kinda a Sci-Fi fan most of all. However, a lot of these books I didn't read on paper, but on audiobook. I kinda feel guilty for not reading Farenheit 451 on paper but I really don't care. When I read, I'll remember and understand everything, but I am so slow about the actual reading. My maximum reading speed is about 20 pages per hour and that's if I'm in the zone and not dazing off when I think about something that I just read and the thoughts, feelings, and memories associated with that. 

Yet I've always wondered audiobooks are a true form of reading. I think they are, I spend enough time listening to music and such that I comprehend information at a faster rate than with paper books, but I don't actually get the experience of the actual physical book.

What do you guys think ?

I'm mostly into fantasy, and sci-fi on the stipulation of being the legit definition of sci-fi and not just aliens/outer space, since I don't have as much interest in the latter.

I have too many favorites to list, but here's at least some off the top of my head

Harry Potter

Warriors

Anything by Scott Westerfeld

His Dark Materials trilogy

Kingkiller Chronicles (yay that someone else here knows them lol)

Young Wizards

Gone

Dresden Files

Percy Jackson (Mythology yaaaaaaay)

Fantasy, sci-fi and criminal books and mysteries. Oh I love mysteries with lots of suspension :)

Unfortunately atm not a single one comes to mind, maybe because this PC world is getting to my bone xD