Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest CorytheOtter

Little-Known Games

Guest CorytheOtter   
Guest CorytheOtter

Not everyone has the marketing divisions and millions of dollars the AAA game industry can afford. Let's spread the word on these undiscovered little gems that really deserve their chance in the limelight. Be sure to post your own suggestions!

1) The Stanley Parable.

It's a funny, thought-provoking adventure game where all you do it walk and listen to a narrator. You might wrestle intillectualally wit h the narrator, but only through the choices given to you. The games have several endings and they're guaranteed to make you laugh or think.

http://www.stanleyparable.com/

2) Forgotten Hope 2

Forgotten Hope 2 is a game I've been playing since it was released and I've watched it slowly grow over the years. It's a modification for Battlefield 2 (2005) that brings the shooter into the second World War. Though the game it's run off of is now eight years old, the Forgotten Hope modding team is skilled enough that its age barely shows. Each map is crafted to be as close to the actual battles as possible. The same goes for each weapon, vehicle, and uniform. Currently, severalthe game covers several North African campaigns, a couple in Italy, several in France and Germany, and soon, the Russian Front! If you like Red Orchestra, you'll love this.

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/

Nylitis   

I was really excited to see the Stanly Parable become its own standalone. The source mod was great, and I'm really looking forward to getting the standalone, especially since I heard there were some more endings added.

I have a game that might be known somewhat to some of the older gamers out there, well people who played PC games in the mid 90's at least.

Descent-

It's a six degree of freedom space shooter, meaning you have all three axises of movement to play with. It's a pretty good challenge, with good AI and some pretty sweet level design. Since the original is 16 bit, it won't run on modern systems, but there was a project to recode the core engine here-http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

Alternatively, it's on Good Old Games for about $10

Guest Bushytail   
Guest Bushytail

Iv withered away many hours of my life sitting at a computer playing some very nice less known games.

Terraria-

This wonderful little game isn't quite so little once you start it up and discover is vast amount of content. Its sort of a sandbox metroid vani game. Most people make the comment of it being a "2-d minecraft" when they first see it. In my opinion, it is much more robust and fun to play than minecraft. But there are the similarities like the fact that you can dig out the entire landscape if you wish. The environment is made up of non-uniform tiles that you can dig and place. But it is less of a building game than minecraft and is more focused on the combat. There are items to craft and find. Bosses to kill, and a second mode of the game to unlock that basically makes the game doubly long as the original (and even more awesome) I definitely recommend it. I believe it is going to come out on the ps3 as well. im not sure if it has been released on that platform yet.

Guest Dagon   
Guest Dagon

Probably one of my favorite games that not to many people know about is Secret of Evermore.

It is a tale of a boy and his dog, and it begins in Podunk, USA and then proceeds to get very very strange. Its an RPG that was the only game made by Square USA, they were shut down because the game didn't sell well enough. However you will be hard pressed to find a game with a quirkier sense of humor.

Arxtempo   

I am disappointed by the large amount of time I have spent with the vastness of the Silent Hill series. It hurts my head trying to make them all get along with each other (the games).

But there is a game in the series that should get more attention. Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

A PS2/Wii horror game with a lot of thought put into it and built for a contemporary adult audience, it oozes with a psychological that goes far beyond a "morality meter" and changes so many things within the game, it is interesting the different game a friend plays compared to you. Another good part about it, you don't need to play another game in the series for it to work.

Redd   

Don't think about it too much Arxtempo, I like to think that the Silent Hill series is like the Final Fantasy series, every game is a standalone (Only SH1 & SH3 have some sort of link, can't talk about downpour since I hadn't gotten the chance to play it)

There are a lot of gems on the nDS that in my opinion are worth giving a try like Time Hollow and Hotel Dusk: Room 215

And for horror games there is Martian Gothic: Unification (Not a Great game, but i had fun with it. Play the psx version, the pc version is too glitchy) and White Day (I believe you have to emulate an old korean pc to play it, it's been a long time since I played it)

Arxtempo   

can't talk about downpour since I hadn't gotten the chance to play it)

Downpour should have been a game less people played, it was well-put together, but just doesn't feel good.

Redd   

Downpour should have been a game less people played, it was well-put together, but just doesn't feel good.

Is it worth getting?

Arxtempo   

Is it worth getting?

I would look into it a bit,

I has been said to less fun than homecoming, and takes a long time to play, but visually, it is Hollywood, and nice weather effects.

I would play it is stay "caught up", but as for actually liking it, I could appreciate it after I had some time to think about it.

3.5 out of 5

Rynn   

I'm not sure if they're truly little know or not, since they've been around for years and years, and are popular in certain groups... but if you like massivly complicated, in-depth, and detailed grand strategy games, a lot of the stuff that comes out of Paradox is quite good.  I'm rather fond of the Europa (late middle ages to early 1800s) and Victoria series (~1830-1936), and the Hearts of Iron series (mid-20th century), along with it's many spinoffs are among my favorite games.  The great ease of modding is one of the best parts of the games.  Just about everything is stored in plain text files, no complicated libraries or anything to decode or anything like that.

I'm not sure if they're truly little know or not, since they've been around for years and years, and are popular in certain groups... but if you like massivly complicated, in-depth, and detailed grand strategy games, a lot of the stuff that comes out of Paradox is quite good.  I'm rather fond of the Europa (late middle ages to early 1800s) and Victoria series (~1830-1936), and the Hearts of Iron series (mid-20th century), along with it's many spinoffs are among my favorite games.  The great ease of modding is one of the best parts of the games.  Just about everything is stored in plain text files, no complicated libraries or anything to decode or anything like that.

I love it when it's like that.

By far one of the best examples though has to be Dwarf Fortress.

It's rather unusual though, that a game which does anatomical and physical simulations in battle also allows for easy, comprehensible modding.

Guest Trextre   
Guest Trextre

I've recently gotten into Robocraft. What you do is make your vehicle in a manner similar to minecraft and you fight other people online with it. The game is in alpha right now, but it is open as well.

Can you give link?

This game is awersome! When release?

Like I said in my post above, it is open so you can download it for free right now.

Right now, I have terrible framerate drops in intense fighting, but there is supposed to be a huge optimization patch in a few days. Why I say this is after it you'd probably be able to play it on your grandma's 20 year old PC or a TI-84. The demo they showed had something that would kill my framerate, but they were getting a constant 60 fps with a geforce 6800.

Nighty   

I'd have to recommend Legend of Kalevala.  It's an old metroidvania-style flash game I played a few years back and really enjoyed.  It had a pretty cool story and an awesome soundtrack, and it's still one of my favorite games.  If you want to check it out, you can play it right here.

If you'd rather play something a bit darker, you might want to give The White Chamber a try.  Its sickeningly detailed art style combined with its utterly disturbing ambient soundtrack really brought the game's environments to life and left me completely terrified on several occasions.  The White Chamber is free to download on the official website.

Tyrian. Look up "Ross's Game Dungeon Tyrian" on YouTube.

You can get Tyrian 2000 (a rerelease with extra content) for free on GoG.

Tyrian is a vertical shooter originally released in 1995 for MS-DOS, and it is made by Epic Games (the same people who made Unreal.)

Unlike other vertical shooters, most of which try to kill you in one hit at every opportunity, Tyrian is the kind of game where they actively encourage you to shoot everything that moves.

You can take several hits before dying, you can upgrade your weapons all of the way up to level 11, you can save your game, and some ships even have combo moves.

The game also has a really good story and an amazing soundtrack. And it was recently released Open Source.