Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Kirisake

Song Of Ice And Fire

Guest Kirisake   
Guest Kirisake

Who's read/watched it?
Got any theories? Ships? AU's? Talk about your fanmade houses and crests and the like!

I see that this is kind of old, but it's at least relevant to me ^^;;

I literally just started watching the show this week. Only about 3 episodes in, I hope to finish the first season by the time classes start back up next week. I'm really liking it so far (although they had me from the moment they brought in dire wolf puppies/pets. I mean, just, awesome), the characters and acting are great, the meta and world building is fantastic. I don't know how much comes from the books, since I couldn't stand Martin's writing style enough to get through even 5 pages. And I used to read video game manuals as a kid. I'll read damn near anything. Dunno what's up with this guy's stuff for me.

I really enjoyed the books.  Though I listen to audio books (as my eyes are generally tired and I get to turn time like meals and stuff into "reading").

That said his style is right up my alley with Wheel of Time, Dune, Dragon Riders of Pern being some of my other favorites.

Yeah, I dunno what it is. I mean, I know they can't be that bad since they were bestsellers even before the show. And it's not like I'm not used to reading long, sometimes dry books. In fact, usually, the longer the better for me. I'm a complete bibliophile. Maybe I was just not in the right mindset at the time. All I know is that reading through the first couple pages was as bad as some fanfics out there. Maybe I'll try again after I get through the show (so I won't spoil myself lol).

Yeah, I dunno what it is. I mean, I know they can't be that bad since they were bestsellers even before the show. And it's not like I'm not used to reading long, sometimes dry books. In fact, usually, the longer the better for me. I'm a complete bibliophile. Maybe I was just not in the right mindset at the time. All I know is that reading through the first couple pages was as bad as some fanfics out there. Maybe I'll try again after I get through the show (so I won't spoil myself lol).

I tried the book once and it was meh.  A friend convinced me to try again and I got to Brendan's and Aria's story (sorry for the spelling down side to listening to the books I have no idea how to spell their names) I fell in love with the series.  Both end up with stories that I can't see TV doing justice too as the books progress.

But in the end reading is for pleasure so read what you enjoy :)

Like many people, the HBO series was my introduction. Looking forward to the 4th season, and have the first five books on my ereader, to read ... eventually...

I had already read all the books when the HBO Series started up, but unlike most people I wasn't a huge fan of the series. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the books, but there are other series I read that I just enjoy more. My friends did pick up the first 2 seasons on DVD though so we had a weekend get together and powered through those. The shows surprisingly good, but I'm not much of a TV show guy so I probably won't watch season 3 until someone drags me into it.