Guest Mcbattle

What If?

Would this work?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that this could work out in the end?

Guest Mcbattle   
Guest Mcbattle

What if one day you woke up to find yourself as your fursona, you would immediately pass it off as a dream. But then you notice everyone is there fursona even non-furries and that its not a dream. The world is still the same only the people in it have changed. I put some thought into this question and thought at first it would be utopia but after thinking about it for a while realized that utopia would soon become dystopia.

The thought of a furry society coming into place over night would probably be a disaster for everyone else. Though to most people here I imagine it would only be bad in the long run. For example if you were not a furry or even heard of one and woke up to find yourself looking like a half animal, half human, how would you react. There would be panic everywhere, which would lead to anarchy. Even if order was returned I imagine things would be very different. For example take racism, I don't think being black, white, asian, etc. makes you a different race as in racism, no matter how you look at it that person is still human. But in a society like this there ends up actually being different races and species. You would have dogs, cats, birds, whatever easily distinguishable between each other. Then on top of that you can have different colors of fur, scales, etc. So now you have racism between species and along with racism in the same species.

You can go on all day with ways it would effect people psychologically and society. But even then you still have physical problems due to the fact that only people were changed. In most cases you would lose your hands and fingers, so how would anything operate? A change in humans on this big of scale gives no time to prepare for a situation like this one. After you read this, try and keep track of how many times throughout the day you use your hands or fingers and imagine not being able to, its pretty scary to imagine that. Now think of how well you could do your job like that, you probably couldn't. So if almost no-one can do there job than a community at its core can no-longer function. We would be relying on interdependence but no-one can do their part.

So I do think eventually society would become functional again. But how long would it take for everything to be redone in a way that will work? I think that how a scenario like this would effect us. How would we get back to a functioning world? I think it would be interesting to see what the FM community thinks about this. You can bring up anything I missed here as there are a-lot and its not that I didn't think of them its just there is only so much I want to put in one post. What are your thoughts on this?

Not really sure where this thread goes, just as a side note.

Edited by mwbattle

Rantack   

Mwbattle, I think you summed up pretty effectively the macro affects that this sort of event would bring on, so I'm going to focus on the micro affects within relations I would expect to see. Predator/prey relationships, families, the work place, politics, and ergonomics are going to be subject to major changes in this scenario.

If everyone becomes part animals, it would make sense that some are going to become prey based species, and others will be predators. Will their be mental changes as well, instincts? If so, many people may not be able to control themselves, and will probably prey on other species. This will create tension and fear, driving those who become prey species to collect in their own towns/neighbor hoods. Gated communities would become more and more prominent, being made specifically for each species. even if they predator species do not prey on the others, there will still be the fear of them doing so, separating people who were once friends. Naturally, the stronger species will also become leaders, with the weaker ones being afraid to challenge them.

As for families, only a couple scenarios will have much of an affect; will families members all become the same species, or will they all be random. If they become the same species, then their will be a chance for them to become closer, figuring out how to cope with the changes they are all going through. They will face more of the same problems than before. However, if they become different species, then It could tear families apart. During the civil war, all it took were opposing views on slavery to drive brother against brother. For some family members to become predators, and others to become prey would do more damage.

New Health codes would have to be implemented in the workplace. Many restaurants already require hair nets, so would anthros have to wear full body suits? What about long tails near dangerous machinery? Certain species will not be able to work in certain situations.

Actually, on second thought, Politics won't change.

Ergonomics would become incredibly difficult. Pants would have to have all different sizes for tail holes, digitigrade legs, Shoes would have to accommodate claws as would gloves. What kind of fabrics would go on over fur well? would people even need to wear clothes? Society would eventually adjust, just as the human race to date has improved from where we stood a thousand years ago, But it would take time. A lot of time to make the necessary adjustments and work out differences.

• Like 1

Guest Mcbattle   
Guest Mcbattle

Yeah I had thought of family relationships. I'm not sure myself about how they would transform, I thought about it as they would be the species they would be if they were a furry. So to answer your question, no a family would not all be the same. Although if they mated then the offspring would be the same species as the parent because otherwise it would make no sense. The reason I didn't cover them was because I 1.Want to see if some else thinks about this scenario the same as me, 2. I didn't want to make the post to long. I didn't think about cloths though or predator and prey. I think shopping for cloths and shoes now is difficult, I cant imagine having to also make sure my tail fits. Think about doctors though, they spend years training just to be able to provide aid to one species.

Kind of an old thread, but there's a lot of room for discussion left. Some storytellers have made a run at the scenario you describe, in terms of speculative fiction as to how the world and society would be altered, once settling in to some new order. I'd imagine it'd be terribly traumatic and many would probably never adjust.

The Winds of Change story universe comes to mind-- http://www.furry.de/tsa/worlds/woc/index.html

I think stepping back in the wider world of literature, 'alternate reality' stories can be on this terrain.

Edited by redfalcone
  • Like 1

Guest shye   
Guest shye

I'm sure at first there would be chaos, but society would learn to adapt and conform to everyone's new bodies.

Arxtempo   

Immediately, concerns about functionality would be important, like in feral forms, assuming everyone was anthro. We would need a society that allowed sustainability within say a month for things to be sorted out. The actual physical differences between citizens would need to be addressed to accommodate, well their physical differences.

We would all need changes in wardrobe and identification to kind of function soon afterward. If children were affected by this as well, well, they would need some guidance. 

I would hope people's minds would not be affect by their species that are "taking over". 

This also might be unfair for the shape-shifters. Would they only get one body, or if they are able to change, are they the only ones to change back?

In most ideal situations, life would be live-able, many would see their new bodies as unfair and unwanted (just majority), but given ideal conditions, it is possible, for a good life.

Racism against talent would definitely increase, e.g. not acknowledging achievements just because whatever the person is stereotypically better at the task. Even if a lot of it now is generally not intentionally mean-spirited it would be worse since some species would be inherently better at certain tasks.  

Say if you hear of a baseball game, people will find some way to continue our current pop culture it's just kind of a given, ending with an "amazing" catch, just think of how many people would dismiss it just because the player was a rabbit and could jump higher.  It could be slightly averted by making different leagues for each species but that would bring up whole new sets of problems.

It would be a problem but not exactly a crippling problem, eventually it would blow over.  But even if it doesn't it wouldn't break society or anything.

Bluts   

Well let's be real - because there r no impossible things in life you can get what you want, even if it's in a different time line. To me the chance seems like infinitely low, but hey it would be very interesting if it does happen :)

namen   

There would probably be a pretty large divide between feral and anthro. Antro would have the advantage with more human-like brains and features, and would probably rule over ferals, who would probably have their brains become slightly more feral as well.

Also,

It could work out, but not in our life times

after a few generations it would just be excepted

Pretty much this. The change will be so drastic that it'll take a long time to get it sorted out.

However, this does beg the question as to whether our lifetimes would be changed to reflect the lifetime of the creature. 

LostOne   

Since the forum has been quiet, I am just gonna make another scenario. What if some people stayed human in this, while the majority did still change into their fursonas? Do you think there would be much difference between if all people changed and if some didn't?

Personally I have no clue whatsoever.

namen   

Since the forum has been quiet, I am just gonna make another scenario. What if some people stayed human in this, while the majority did still change into their fursonas? Do you think there would be much difference between if all people changed and if some didn't?

Personally I have no clue whatsoever.

I think the humans would probably hold onto their spot as the dominant species by whatever means necessary, and all the sonas would probably be treated as much lower class citizens, while otherwise it would be anthros holding that spot.

Either way, someone's going to come out on top.

wtguy   

In general, unless mental effects come with the fursona, I feel society would pick up pretty quick. Probably an initial panic, a few weeks of unrest and adaptation, then back to the daily grind

Interesting concept, though I would have to say that there would be a dominant species, regardless if the entire human race changed or if it was fifty-fifty between humans and fursonas.

Tomrai   

While I would enjoy this, I know many who wouldn't. That being said I do think we could adapt within a few months provided there were no mental effects

At first  there would be significant uproar among every locale and among the scientific community as those in power attempted to determine what happened and how society should deal with it's new problems. But after the riots calm and people manage to come to grips with their new appearances (though I have no doubt some never will) things may actually change for the better. 

I think comparative advantage would ultimate result in such a transformation being a net gain for human society, especially if some humans remained. Sure there may be an increase in racism and some hand-less anthros may lose their jobs, but who wouldn't want a bear security guard or police officer and what manager hasn't dreamed about giving their workers 15cm cubicles and renting out the rest of the office building.

I think the world would become a fair amount more deterministic as people would be unwilling to hire species who were poorly suited to a job which may eliminate the ability of some to get their dream jobs. Nonetheless, total societal output and the real GNP of almost every western country would likely increase.

Aed   

Actually, I'd wager that within 3 months things would be mostly "business as usual" if this happened.  Those with hands would very quickly realize that those without hands need help, and would design more accessible devices.  For most, it'll be very minuet changes to their lives.  Drastic and chaotic, sure.  But things tend to stabilize quickly.  Would racism occur?  That depends on a few things.  But mostly I'd say, not by much, and it'll be a two way street.  If there are still humans, that could be a problem, but also a solution.

And within a year, I'd say things would be better than ever before.  The added strengths of anthro's to society would only make things better.