Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxley

What Is A Trance Exactly?

21 posts in this topic

as some or most of you know im really new to this, and thought ive had abit of sucess with very breif fox leg feelings, i still have not been sucessful with mutch more than listening to files relaxed and hoping for some effect.

what should i be expecting with trances? what are they like? any tips to get into one?

ive not yet really felt much of a difference in awareness or feeling when im relaxed and listening to a file and i just feel im doing something wrong.

From my experience, I would say that normally you have ways of knowing for instance how many seconds are passing. You have ways of measuring and constantly checking what is going on.

For a trance to set in, I have to suspend all of these friction-inducing protocols and just let go of time.

Well no wonder I have such a hard time trancing, letting go of time is something very hard for a timelord xD

Anyway in all seriousness, it can take a while to master trance or so ive heard. Ive been at this for nearly half a year and im still not great at trance some learn it quickly some people take a while.

I recently had a sort of breakthrough where I was reading something on here and I was totally focused on it. Then I read a line 'when your reading you are in trance' remember when you read a good book and your totally immersed in the world in your head thats trance. At this point I snapped out of trance and I was like omg I was just in trance :)

Im learning to take things slow and grab hold of the little things to reinforce my belief and trance state.

Hope this helps :)

1 person likes this

For me it's hard.

For me, when I'm in trance, I lose track of time and have trouble focusing on other things. I've also heard that when you're in trance that you seem to lose your sense of equilibrium, and I've had instances where the room was spinning, and even becoming somewhat "seasick" but I've been trancing for a long time now. It's no means sleep, its completely different. Also, if your having a countdown induction, don't pay too much attention to going deeper with every number, for me that always broke my trance, but that's just me, it may not be true for everyone. Also, this may sound obvious, but its hard to trance with your eyes open, so when you start a session you need to be ready to close your eyes, so that means stop reading or watching and start listening, unless its a text trance.

So I think I have a good and precise answer to this question. Trance is just hyper-focus on a particular thing that is happening. If you have really gotten into a film before or a good novel and time just seems to slip away you are essentially in trance. The difference in hypnosis is that you are focused on the hypnotist instead of a film. There is another word used for this effect, flow. Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. If you can flow with the hypnotist you are in trance. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

1 person likes this

From my experience,maybe trance it resonant rhythm thoughts and imagination, if tuned for resonant you in trance

some trance effect's:

unfocus vision,

squeak in ears,
dizziness,

disequilibrium,

incomprehensible expressions or voice's.

frist you must teach:

breathing practices

shamanic dance

Spent spirit conductor.

look here http://translate.google.ru/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=www.proza.ru%2F2010%2F08%2F19%2F1536&act=url

sorry for abnormal ​​English it goggle. :panic:

I am not a expert but I think you are just focusing too hard.

Trance is a deep state of relaxation, wherein the subject of the trance attains an altered state of consciousness where they are more receptive to outside influences.

There are several psychological theories as to why trance happens.  Each of them has some merit, and one or more of them may be correct.

Different stages of trance have different indicators, which can be used to gauge trance depth.  There have been a few scales proposed for gauging trance depth.  The major issue is that the symptoms of trance do not always occur in their totality.  One can have some of the symptoms of a trance without the others, but they will always occur only in their own measured depth.

http://www.konsultan-indonesia.com/index.php/motivation-others/85-davis-husband-hypnotic-rating-of-scale

This is the scale I use to measure my subject's depth- the Davis-Husband scale of hypnosis.

For me, I find that the best way to get into a trance is to try to get comfortable, to let go of my thoughts by acknowledging them, and then not thinking about them (easier said then done, but I was lucky and figured out the trick to it in my childhood), and focusing not on the metacontent or structure of the hypnotist, but on the totality of what the hypnotist is saying, taken as it is heard.

Going into a trance for me is when I am completely focused on the file, and my mind doesn't wander off anymore, I usually can't feel my hands/feet.

I just sort of black out to a point where I can't really form any solid thoughts. Its like reading a book, but thinking of something else, then you look down at the page and don't remember anything you had just read (if that makes any sense). Everything just sort of goes on auto pilot, no control over thoughts, no real ability to feel or move my body. It feels like all there are are words from the Ipod, and at some time I can't even understand what they are saying... then again I'm not sure if this is normal.

The best advice would be to not try really hard on going into trance and just let it happen, like how you can't fall asleep when your trying to, you just need to relax and let go.

A lack of desire to move if using relaxation method, like you couldn't be bothered to even open your eyes or "zoned out" if like watching TV while listening to file or using visual. Some people loose track of time others are aware. Try not to post on topics that are more than a few weeks old

Try not to post on topics that are more than a few weeks old

I disagree.

If a topic is still relevant in any way, it might as well be used.

Also, this isn't a high-traffic forum.

1 person likes this

Trance is a deep state of relaxation, wherein the subject of the trance attains an altered state of consciousness where they are more receptive to outside influences.

There are several psychological theories as to why trance happens.  Each of them has some merit, and one or more of them may be correct.

Different stages of trance have different indicators, which can be used to gauge trance depth.  There have been a few scales proposed for gauging trance depth.  The major issue is that the symptoms of trance do not always occur in their totality.  One can have some of the symptoms of a trance without the others, but they will always occur only in their own measured depth.

http://www.konsultan-indonesia.com/index.php/motivation-others/85-davis-husband-hypnotic-rating-of-scale

This is the scale I use to measure my subject's depth- the Davis-Husband scale of hypnosis.

For me, I find that the best way to get into a trance is to try to get comfortable, to let go of my thoughts by acknowledging them, and then not thinking about them (easier said then done, but I was lucky and figured out the trick to it in my childhood), and focusing not on the metacontent or structure of the hypnotist, but on the totality of what the hypnotist is saying, taken as it is heard.

Well, going by that scale, I've only just brushed that verge of Light Trance. No wonder I wasn't getting good results!

As everyone else has no doubt pointed out, trance can be different from person to person. When I reach a trance state, I'm normally calm and relaxed, with numbness or a lack of feeling in the extremities. Strangely, I'm also completely aware of everything that is happening around me; Sort of a hyperactive sensory state. (That may be due to meditation, which helps in becoming more aware, or it may just be how my noggin works. =P)

As Santus explained, you will only know when you reach a deep trance yourself, not by anyone else telling you. Just get yourself comfortable, enjoy a cup of a stimulant/depressant (Whichever helps you concentrate the most) and try to relax. And hey, The worst which can happen is that you'll get a good half hour of rest. =D

When I go into a trance what occurs is the desire not to move, not hearing any outside noise as much (Still hear a tiny bit of noise), and my eyes when I close them seems to get darker.  I don't know if this can or will occur to you, but sure did occur to me.

That seems about right. I also find it easier to imagine things while in trance

When I go into a trance what occurs is the desire not to move, not hearing any outside noise as much (Still hear a tiny bit of noise), and my eyes when I close them seems to get darker.  I don't know if this can or will occur to you, but sure did occur to me.

This is pretty much exactly what I experience.

While I haven't tried to get into a trance for hypnosis yet, this is more or less what happens the handful of times I've been in one. Hopefully some of these suggestions are helpful for you, Boxley!

Something else to take into consideration with regards to trance is that usually you'll experience a shift in your breathing. Most people will start to take deeper breaths but some will actually do the opposite and take shallower breaths. If you're the latter and listening to files, it can feel a little jarring if you listen to files that focus a bit too much on breathing as a means and indication of a deeper trnace.