Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eozdniw

The Wheel Of Time

I don't know what to write about so I'll write about something that's making me very excited. The last book of the Wheel of Time is coming out in January! I'm really looking forward to it, I wonder how Brandon Sanderson will end the series and I'm sure he's being loyal to Robert Jordan's notes.

I suppose it would be useful to explain what the Wheel of Time is about, for those who don't know. It's a series of fantasy books about..hmm...well basically, it's about the Dark One, an evil being, who is slowly escaping his ancient prison and wants to destroy time and space, and people are turning towards the prophecies of the Dragon Reborn who will supposedly defeat the Dark One. That's the basic story at least. But it also includes countless side stories and backgrounds for all of the important characters, and interactions between characters. There are plots within plots within plots and, while most characters can be aligned as either evil or good, they often do things that would be considered bad or morally wrong but they do it for the greater good, or what they believe is the greater good, and so on. Almost all of the characters are humans. Oh, and there are countless references to mythology, old legends and other fantasy/medieval themes, particularly to King Arthur and Jesus Christ.

A Memory of Light is the 14th and final book in the series and I can't wait to get it and read it! So, what are your thoughts and such on the matter? Also, for the sake of those who haven't read all of the books yet, I think it would be fair to warn if you're going to post any spoilers. That way, people who want to avoid spoilers can skip that post. Or use the spoiler BBcode, that's even better.

EDIT: Gah, blind me, I didn't see the music & literature section, and I can't seem to be able to delete the topic. Sorry for any inconveniences.

It's all fine. If you want we can push this topic over to the M&L board.

As for actual topic contribution, I've been hearing a lot of people bringing this book up but haven't actually read it. Starting to get the sense I really need to check this series out.

Thanks, I think it will probably get viewed more over there. After all, people will be looking in that section for topics about music and literature rather than just random off-topic so it will help.

I'm pretty biased but yes, I'd definitely recommend giving the series a try. For example, if you see it in your local library you could take out the first book (The Eye of the World) and give it a read, see how you like it. That way if you don't like it, you haven't wasted any money on the book, and if you do like it you can go on a shopping spree and get all 13, and pre-order the last one.

"The last days are upon us. In these hours, you will earn your final rewards. If you have grudges, put them behind you. If you have plots, bring them to completion. make your final plays, for this . . . this is the end." -Moridin

The Wheel of time turns, and Ages come and pass.

What was, what will be, and what is,

may yet fall under the Shadow.

May the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

This is the most bittersweet moment of my life. This book series is older than I am, and after 23 years, the Last Battle, Tarmon Gai'don itself is upon us. After ten personal years of speculation, theories, and generally geeking out, it's come to an end. I was practically crying when I picked up the book, and I don't even know if I can make it through it. Robert Jordon has captured my heart, and Brandon Sanderson has saved the series after Jordon's untimely death. Thank you both. You've given me the greatest story of my life.

RIP

The Wheel of Time

January 15, 1990-January 8, 2013

It's done. Light help me but it's over. Now please for the love of the light and my hope for rebirth someone else read the damn novel so I can geek out over it.