Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damarus

Star Wars Episode 7

Damarus   

So George Lucas went and took a whole bunch of crack or something today, and went and sold Lucasfilm, the rights to Star Wars, and all of his IP's, to Disney for 4 Billion dollars. Disney just confirmed that they're making episodes 7,8 and 9, with Episode 7 to be released in 2015. And then new films every 3 years or so after that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-20146942

What's everyone's take on this.. happy to see another film in the series? Worried Disney are going to screw it up? Hoping it can't suck as much as the prequel trilogy did? Expecting to see Stitch in the Mos Eisley cantina?

I wonder what Disney is going to buy next.. DC Comics?

I think the reality is, Disney sees lucasfilm as a threat and is willing buy them out to capitalize on their science fiction market share. I just hope they keep Star Wars as Star Wars and not influence it toooo much. I mean with the subtle comedic break like in pirates. Not that it makes for a bad movie, but it is not quite Star Wars esq.

me being me, I will most likely see them in theaters, and The true judgement on if I like them or not will be done then.

As for now though, good for George, he's now 4bill richer.

Kai   

I'm not sure it's a bad thing. George already lost his marbles when he remade episodes 4, 5, and 6. I prefer the original actors and shots any day (Han was the only one who shot btw). Disney "might" take it in a good direction.

Guest Two-winged Cat   
Guest Two-winged Cat

What's everyone's take on this.. happy to see another film in the series? Worried Disney are going to screw it up? Hoping it can't suck as much as the prequel trilogy did?

I watched 4, 5 and 6 and was hooked on them! Then... I watched 1. I hated it.

I was on student exchange when 2 came out and first saw it in German; I was so unimpressed that I haven't ever bothered to see it in English. I have never seen 3 and have no intention to.

I fail to see how Disney can possibly make Star Wars any worse. Which is a good thing, right?

It just seems to me that were looking at Lucas' retirement plan. He never seemed interested in grooming a successor, and he's had close links with Disney for decades. Maybe this was his plan all along.

Personally I find it far more interesting that Disney now owns Industrial Light And Magic, who I consider the only equals to Pixar in the field of computer animation (if not equals in the direction and storytelling Pixar excel in). Ill be very curious to see what collaboration between the two brings.

Pragmatically, Lucas was getting old, and the production of the final trilogy will take a long time. Lucas probably wants to do other things.

I don't expect that Disney would do anything worse with the franchise itself than Lucas himself oversaw. This was inevitable, given the amount of money involved in the franchise. How will Disney respond to the creative efforts of the Internet fandom? What will Disney do to promote and expand the universe? Will episode 7 feel continuous with 6, or will it be more of a series reboot in feel? (Will the next SW feature even be Episode 7, and not some other storyline in the continuum?) I'm not particularly worried, though, I think Disney will respect the material, it's not like we have to fear Disney animated characters in the next Star Wars feature. (Though I wouldn't rule out a Disney character SW tie-in of some kind, maybe a video game). In other words, they don't want to kill the golden goose.

Damarus   

I heard rumors that Harrison Ford was interested in picking up from the role of Han Solo.. Would be cool if Mark Hamill would play old Luke too.

One other thing that would be pretty awesome.. Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts..

Kai   

I heard rumors that Harrison Ford was interested in picking up from the role of Han Solo.. Would be cool if Mark Hamill would play old Luke too.

One other thing that would be pretty awesome.. Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts..

And must we forget Indiana Jones as well?

Guest Kado   
Guest Kado

Honestly, Disney has yet to do in Marvel with the new Marvel comic movies. Regarding Star Wars, about the only way TO ruin them is to let George Lucas direct them without a producer willing to tell him when ideas are terrible. In my humble opinion, Empire was the best of the original Star Wars and in a big part because Lucas wasn't making it. Personally I look forward to the films if they net a good director and focus them around meaningful parts of the post-ROTJ timeline, such as Vector Prime.

If you want a good idea of why the prequels turned out so badly I would suggest watching Plinkett's reviews of the films on Redlettermedia. He comes to the conclusion that the decisions made by George Lucas were not challenged when they should have been and even cites footage from the Making Of features for the films to support these claims.

im just wondering what the movies will be about.will it be based off of the books. or is it going to be more like the Clone wars cartoon (really hope it isn't ) and i hope it's at least going to be watchable.

Kanibal   

This is a topic that had been left un touched for a very long time... Watch out for the dates when posting because this one had been left..