Sign in to follow this  
Guest Two-winged Cat

Last To Post Wins 4 (2 Outside Japan)

Guest Two-winged Cat

Ok look, we're all here to have fun, but let's try and remember this topic isn't on the mature board please. >.>

Yes, some witches need to shut the front door so that they don't get in trouble here~

I played the beginning of Bach's Tocatta from Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 on my organ while people were trick-or-treating. It wasn't anywhere near as satisfying as I had hoped; I was cut off by having to answer the door. Next year I'll have to try the promenade from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition or maybe my own interpretation of Radiohead's Creep. (Creep translates to the organ surprisingly well, but I have a few kinks i'd like to work out first.)

Toccata in Dm is a good tune. Also good on organ is "the cracken" from klaus badelt and Hans Zimmer. It's also in D m so it's not too hard to play. Or ghosts n stuff :P

What kind of organ do you have?

A 1962 Hammond M-103 that I found on Craigslist for free. It doesn't make the best pipe organ sound, but certainly one that I'd call reasonable for my purposes. (It also has a phono input, so if I really NEEDED an accurate pipe organ sound to come out of the speakers, I could use a MIDI instrument on my computer and send that sound through. I've tried it out, and discovered that I can use it to add spring reverb to <i>anything,</i> which is nice...)

This is the sort of music that I usually play on it though.

Try something more modern and challenging.....Maybe some Olivier Messiaen XD

lol, I wish I had a personal organ~ I nearly had one, but then we discovered it was borked~ So, I just will settle for my keyboard~

If you want one, it won't be too hard to find a non-borked one eventually... old people who were the original owners of these things tend not to value them very highly, and the heirs of deceased original owners even less so. Mine had been donated to a senior center, but they needed to make room. (Actually, it might be a good idea to talk to the management at a senior center or a nursing home... people like to dump their old organs there without notice or permission, so you could ask them to notify you the next time one comes in before they dispose of it...)

It's also good to understand how they work before you get one... for example: my organ doesn't simply turn on with the flip of a switch. You have to hold one switch up for a few seconds to get the starting motor up to speed, then flip another switch and keep holding the first switch until the running motor gets up to speed. It's not unlike starting a car, come to think of it.

I'm amajor keyboard nerd, I love old hams and wurlys.

Anything even remotely jazz/blues sounds good on a Hammond though, with just a bit of distortion and especially if played with a Leslie

If you want one, it won't be too hard to find a non-borked one eventually... old people who were the original owners of these things tend not to value them very highly, and the heirs of deceased original owners even less so. Mine had been donated to a senior center, but they needed to make room. (Actually, it might be a good idea to talk to the management at a senior center or a nursing home... people like to dump their old organs there without notice or permission, so you could ask them to notify you the next time one comes in before they dispose of it...)

It's also good to understand how they work before you get one... for example: my organ doesn't simply turn on with the flip of a switch. You have to hold one switch up for a few seconds to get the starting motor up to speed, then flip another switch and keep holding the first switch until the running motor gets up to speed. It's not unlike starting a car, come to think of it.

I have a church back at home that it works that way~ I very much understand how that is XD

I have 4 keyboards set up like kieth Emerson. The only thing missing is my future wicked big modular moog synth

... An a kettle for when I want to pretend to be Edgar winter

Edited by amikething

I just have a simple Casio Privia that was gifted to me. It gets the job done while I'm here at college~ I use it for what singing and piano I have to do.

I have 4 keyboards set up like kieth Emerson. The only thing missing is my future wicked big modular moog synth

... An a kettle for when I want to pretend to be Edgar winter

Just don't treat them like Emerson did...

I wouldn't dare, haha

Bu I will admit, you wouldn't get the sounds any other way.

And speaking of tocotta

Edited by amikething