Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Esqui

The Olympics

Here in the UK, people have mostly stopped moaning about it, and started enjoying the event! And things are doing reasonably well for Team GB, with our first two gold medals today.

How's your country doing? And, particuarly for the overseas people, what do you think of the event so far? Did you enjoy the opening ceremony? Did you "get" it?

Guest apersonwhoknows

I'm not really an olympics watcher persay. But it is interesting to see of course. I try to rute for all countries because everybody is pretty much a winner in my eyes. I just think its fair.

As far as our country here in america, I would hope we are doing well. But I just think over all you just gotta perform your very best and give it your all and be good sports about it. Who ever wins--wins.

I watched the opening ceremony and had a party at my house, although the olympics aren't really something I like to watch too much. I found the opening ceremony very interesting especially because the people who i was with had varying different thoughts on it

ex: The building of the towers and olympic rings symbolizes that sports are important to any advanced society VS hurr durr pretty lights.

I don't find sports that interesting to watch, but I guess i'll have to at least look up who won so i'm not completely secluded from all socal activity for the next month.

Guest Dammy T Fox

I still moan about it and always will. The only olympics that interest me are the ancient ones, or the Mario & Sonic ones. All in all, I'm jusr avoiding it until it's over and await the inevitable news reports we'll get from conservative sites and papers etc going 'oh, there's thousands of immigrants that haven't left! What EVER are we going to dooooooooo?". Not that I support thos ereports, I'm just saying it's bound to happen, just like how the leavers from school have their results fed to vultures because maybe 10% didn't get As...

Guest Two-winged Cat

I've tried to get into the olympics, I really have, but I just can't. Ultimately, all they've accomplished is they stopped the buses for a day when some candlestick was run through town, and made it harder to travel around Manchester when the football's on. I really don't care if one person can do some ultimately useless physical feat with ever so slightly more proficiency than another person, nor do I care if that person happened to have been born in the same country as me. If I paid tax, I'd complain about the way it was being misspent, but I don't so I can't. Ultimately the olympics get a "meh" from me.

I just don't tend to watch them. If it's on the TV, I might sit there, but usually, I do other things.

Guest VextheDragon

well, i have never been one for he olympics, but am i glad that i sat down to watch them today, as i have seen the best day so far for my country, and the best i think i ever will see for a long time, unless somthing happens in the remaining week or so.

first of all, in the mixed tennis doubles, Andy and his partner getting through to the final with amasing form.

i then kinda stopped for a bit, but resumed in time to witness the first of 3 gold medals to be won, first by Ennis in the Women's Heptathalon with a total score of 6955.

Next was the Men's Long Jump, where Rutherford also pulled a blinding proformance.

but the highlight for me, as i'm sure it was for many others, was Mo Fahra taking gold, the first gold EVER for team GRB in the Men's 10,000M run.

this has been an emotinal night for me, who isn't even into sport, so imagen what it's like for those who are, or the familes of the winners.

i'd also like to send my congrats to some other nations, namly China for Sun's scorching run in the Men's 1500M freestyle, breaking the WR to boot and to the USA for breaking another world record in the swiming.

and last, a sad goodbye to Michael Phelps after he swam, and won, his last ever race today, leaving the sport with 18 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals.

and now the last of the last, a huge well done to all olypians so far, be it winners or runners up (no such thing as losers), and an even bigger good luck to all who have yet to compeat!

As much as I thought I would hate it I didnt really. I watched a bit from time to time.

I did love the james bond / queen sketch I thought that was funny :P

But I was really rooting for team gb and they pulled through and put on a brilliant show.

Unlike the overpayed underworked racist yobs we call footballers.

Guest VextheDragon

Unlike the overpayed underworked racist yobs we call footballers.

^^^ the truth man, the shitty, undiluted truth.

^^^ the truth man, the shitty, undiluted truth.

Glad you liked it :P Dont get me started on bankers and politicans though ^^

Guest sami

Hi hi everyone,

With the main olympics, I always liked to try to compare my skill levels with the world's best. I can't really get anywhere near any of the kinds of records for feats that olympians do, but it's neat trying out a bunch of different activities rather than just sticking with the same old same old running to try and catch that bus you overslept for sort of sprinting or ending up kinda broke and walking home at the end of the day (but going to get sushi was still worth it!).

This time around I missed the olympics though. (Everyone else at my house DVR'd them, watched it once, then deleted the files and talked about how awesome and cool it was, which kinda made me disinterested.......the same thing happened with the last one too. :( )

I still moan about it and always will. The only olympics that interest me are the ancient ones, or the Mario & Sonic ones.

Question!!!!

How are the Mario and Sonic ones? They looked kinda cool, but I wasn't sure whether to put them on my wish list or not. Were there any parts in particular that were extra good?

Sami

I didn't watch much of the Olympics because of the NBC stupidity. I wanted to watch quite a few things, but their online streaming was poor as well. Bunch of crap from them this year and they better do the next Winter Olympics justice in 2 years.