Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Two-winged Cat

Audio Books

13 posts in this topic

I've recently started getting really into audio books (formerly known as "books on tape") because I just love the concept of being read a bedtime story every night. At the moment I'm listening to Sourcery, from the Discworld series, read by Nigel Planer (yes, "Neil" from The Young Ones... quite the mental image, I'll tell you :P )

What does everyone else think about them? And, does anyone have any furry and/or hypnotic recommendations? :)

The Dresdin Files is really good to listen too

The Genesis of Oblivion Series is voice acted really well (and one of the main characters is a Tigerman and the voice actor snarls and growls which is great to listen too)

I love the Hank The Cowdog series and I wish I could have every book, but with over 30 books, it will take forever. They also make them into audio books, so I tried it out once.

I did not like it. :|

The reason is that I imagined totally different voices and accents to the characters and hearing them like they were in the audio made me want to stick to reading it myself and let my imagination do all the work. Sometimes it's better that way.

That is not to say I hate audio books. I actually like ones that have background music and sound effects added to them rather than just read. A good example is the Magic Tree House series. Take a listen to a sample of their audio book and you'll see what I mean.

I actually like ones that have background music and sound effects added to them rather than just read.

You see, I have exactly the opposite opinion on this. I like the text to just be read to me as if it were a bedtime story, and just like when reading a book, I find my imagination does the rest. There's something to be said for the "audio play" format, which is my shorthand for the books with effects added, different voices, that sort of thing. They're much more fun to listen to! But when I'm curled up in bed, letting my imagination run wild is always the best way to experience such things in my opinion.

There's room for both, the audiobook "genre" is so vast they can both co-exist for people who like different types! ...but why don't they ever list on the CD case which you're going to get? o.o;

I love audiobooks... Right now I'm listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (as read by Jim Dale) and Doctor Who- The Resurrection Casket, as read by David Tennant. If I had to pick a particular favorite, a standalone would be Rob Ingles' version of The Hobbit. Out of a series, my choice is any of the 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' books as read by Tim Curry. I'm sorry, but Daniel Handler just seems monotonous to me. (He read books 3, 4 and 5) Which is why I'm glad they had Curry do books 6-13, because his voice for Count Olaf is truly scary.

I also, of course, like audio dramas, particularly (surpise!) Doctor Who ones. Of the Big Finish plays, my favorites include Loups-Garoux by Marc Platt (Five and Turlough encounter some werewolves) and The Chimes of Midnight. (Eight and Charley in a time looped home during Christmas) And from what I've heard of Tom Baker's stories for AudioGo, (The Hornets' Nest series) those are pretty good too.

I'm afraid I can't take Tim Curry seriously ever since I saw him performing the role of King Arthur in the Broadway musical "Spamalot". Seeing someone sing "Knights of the Round Table" does somewhat stick with you :P

I rather dislike audio books, not because of the voices or anything, but because they travel at a set speed. I'm a slow reader because often times I read a bit, and then my mind wanders off and creates stories of its own. For that reason alone I find reading books a more engaging and personal experience than just listening would ever do. That said, I have gotten audio books and listened to them while doodling what goes through my head.

I rather dislike audio books, not because of the voices or anything, but because they travel at a set speed.

I do agree. They have the same issues hypnosis files do in that regard. Though they do have the benefit of a pause button not totally ruining the process :)

1 person likes this

I love audiobooks - well, the ones read by Stephen Fry at least (the harry Potter ones anyway). Mostly because I adore him as a person and his intellect, and also because he really brings the book to life!

I really like "War of The Worlds" audiobooks, like that radio broadcast that some actors made in New York, and various stories that I find. ;) Anyway, back to audiobooks, I'd rather just read the actual thing, but I suppose you could play them on long road trips and whatnot. (If you even get that bored on a road trip. But then again, I've never been on one.)

I love audio books. I know some people see them as a dumbing down of literature, but I think they hark back to something ancient, the ages of oral storytelling,

If you like speculative fiction, its really worthwhile to check out podcasts such as escape pod (escapepod.org) and StarShipSofa (www.starshipsofa.com). The quality of reading varies from the good to the awful, but they focus upon short stories, which are really the core of invention and creativity within speculative fiction, and very hard to get hold of otherwise.

I've worked my way through pretty much the whole of discworld via audiobook, and I'd say you can't go wrong, provided you avoid the 'abridged' recordings, which are usually carelessly produced to boot. Stephan Briggs is regarded as the best reader, and i wouldn't argue, although i have certain affection for Tony Robinson's reading of the witches books.

My biggest tip is this, however. The grand king of audiobooks, Neal Gaiman can be found reading his own novel 'The graveyard book' for free, here online - http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx - Its HUGE fun and a must for anyone with fantasamagorical leanings.

Audiobooks are far closer to traditional narration of stories than books or movies. Storytelling is a direct relationship between a narrator and their audience. A good audiobook narrator absolutely draws me in to that intimate experience, and sometimes frames in the words of the story to give them depth.

The worst is falling asleep while listening, and trying to pick up where you left off. :)

you should get into the jharry potter audiobooks narrated by jim dale, i have all 7 books, six days of audio and 6 days of magic amplified by the magic of jim dale's lovely voice, i want him to narrate my funeral :3