Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadow Phoenix

Barbie: Life In The Dreamhouse

Apparently, I will fall in love with any show that puts puns in every episode title.

This show is as addictive as the plastic toy version of crack (Legos?) It's essentially the story of the current Barbie family toy lineup, framed sort of like a Big Brother-esque reality show crossed over with a more traditional sort of sitcom style. And it's great!

Before anyone makes the comparison: It's not FiM, and that's a good thing. FiM is a very different step in MLP as a franchise, aimed at more general audiences and focused less on toy promotion. This is less of a big change. The girlishness of the CGI movies and the toys carries over into the series with full force. The characters are the actual toys (even the CG models are derived from the actual toy mold models) and there's plenty of merch in full view. It actually put me off at first, but then I saw how much fun the writers had with the concept and it became endearing. If FiM is the animated version of the various adventures Lauren Faust had with her ponies as a kid, this series is probably someone's childhood Barbie adventures set to CGI. There's wit, humour and just enough self-referencing to not be obnoxious. Episode 1 illustrates pretty much everything I'm enjoying about the series.

P.S. I know it's probably serious and not self-parody, but I love how every character's name is trademarked in the episode summaries. Odd at first, but the characters are dolls in-series. The trademarks are probably in their names. It's like typing somepony: just cheesy enough to stop being weird after 5 episodes.

Guest Skyclimber   
Guest Skyclimber

I am totally watching this! If the rest of these webisodes are as snarky as the first one, Mattel has found a great new vibe for Barbie. The writing for their main feature length films was starting to get a little stale...

~Closet second gen Barbie films fan

EDIT: Just finished watching the most recent episode, and they were all amazing. Can't wait for Friday!

Guest apersonwhoknows   
Guest apersonwhoknows

Ooooo a barbie show. That's exactly what my big sis needs to hear LOL. After making movies and what not lets decide to make a show as well. Boy, I don't think I ever saw this coming. Maybe......?