Guest LindsayPl

Anime & Manga

Arxtempo   

Yeah, I wish I spent more time with anime, but I spend even less time with manga. And some bigger series are almost ridiculous to get through.

In order of how much I like them and not by how well they are made.

• Naruto (I have taken it to a religious level)
  • Danganronpa
  • Soul Eater
  • Digimon
  • Death Note

That kind of works for a top 5, looking back, there has to be something I have missed.

Oros   

Soul Eater

Bleach (its a show, not a detergent)

Full Metal Alchemist

Naruto

Majin Tante Nugami Nero (can't spell)

Pandora Hearts

Kara no Kyoukai

Death Note

Ghost in the Shell

Kyoukai no Kanata

and so many others O.o

Nausicaä, of the Valley of the Wind. First saw the Studio Ghibli movie which caused me to get all the other Ghibli movies. Then, bought all the seven manga volumes which Hayao Miyazaki serialized intermittently from 1982 to 1994

-

Nausicaä, a princess of a small kingdom on a post-apocalyptic Earth who becomes involved in a war between kingdoms while environmental disaster threatens the survival of humankind. On her journey, she struggles to bring about a peaceful coexistence among the people of her world, as well as between humanity and nature.

-

Miyazaki only made the first two volumes into the film so if you saw that and liked it the books have so much more. And if you didn't see the film, see it.

I've seen that and I have to say I loved it!

Aside from that, my fav anime that I've seen would be Wolf's Rain. It's only about 30 episodes (As opposed to those longer ones like Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh!), but it's definitely my favorite anime.

Tsunshi   

I'd have to say slayers, escaflowne, the old voltron, I love digimon. I love the original transformers, but it's not really a anime. some concider it one but it was created in the united states then sold to Japan, then back to the us lol.

kimidayo   

Spring 2014 was a totally dead season. The only shows really worth watching this season were Ping Pong, Baby Steps, Sidonia no Kishi, and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou.

On the other hand, Hunter x Hunter is as absolutely astounding as ever.

Summer 2014 starts this week;

Keep a look out for:

Aldnoah.Zero

Glasslip

Zankyou no Terror

Barakamon

Ao Haru Ride

Tokyo Ghoul

Akame ga Kill

and of course

Sailor Moon: Crystal

Ultimate Spring 2014 rankings:

1. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
2. Ping Pong the Animation

3. Sidonia no Kishi

4. Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

5. Baby Steps

6. Tonari no Seki-kun
7. Diamond no Ace
8. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
9. Little Busters! EX
--------------Cut-off 1--------------
10. Selector Infected WIXOSS
11. Haikyuu!!
12. Nisekoi
--------------Cut-off 2--------------
13. Happiness Charge Precure
14. Keroro!
15. Date a Live II

Edited by Kiniest

Spring 2014 was a totally dead season. The only shows really worth watching this season were Ping Pong, Baby Steps, Sidonia no Kishi, and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou.

On the other hand, Hunter x Hunter is as absolutely astounding as ever.

I wouldn't say that. Even though it was a bit confusing I would definately say that Mekakucity Actors was a pretty decent anime. When taking a look at the related material I think it did a good job expressing what the other stuff tried to express as well.

kimidayo   

I wouldn't say that. Even though it was a bit confusing I would definately say that Mekakucity Actors was a pretty decent anime. When taking a look at the related material I think it did a good job expressing what the other stuff tried to express as well.

I was busy this season, so I didn't get to see much of it, but from what I did, the problem with Mekakucity Actors is that it was basically the Director rehashing the same exact style he'd done before on most anime prior to it. It's well known as the "Bakemonogatari" style, and I can see that for the most part, he was doing just that. Though, I can't say much else, other than the fact that if you can't figure out what's going on in an anime on your own, it's not your fault. The anime has to describe itself; nothing should rely on its source material.

Thankfully, from what I've heard, Captain Earth was a bigger offender of that.

Edited by Kiniest

I was busy this season, so I didn't get to see much of it, but from what I did, the problem with Mekakucity Actors is that it was basically the Director rehashing the same exact style he'd done before on most anime prior to it. It's well known as the "Bakemonogatari" style, and I can see that for the most part, he was doing just that. Though, I can't say much else, other than the fact that if you can't figure out what's going on in an anime on your own, it's not your fault. The anime has to describe itself; nothing should rely on its source material.

Thankfully, from what I've heard, Captain Earth was a bigger offender of that.

I wasn't saying that you NEED the source material for it, but I mean more of that there is sort of more to the series that a person could look at once finished the anime. The anime as a stand alone was pretyt okay though. But yeah it did have it's flaws.

kimidayo   

I wasn't saying that you NEED the source material for it, but I mean more of that there is sort of more to the series that a person could look at once finished the anime. The anime as a stand alone was pretyt okay though. But yeah it did have it's flaws.

Like I said, I haven't watched enough of the show to make a final judgment; at least it wasn't Seiji Kishi directing it - though Shinbou's been having quite a problem with this stuff as of late.

Speaking of Kishi, it looks like he's going to be the director of Assassination Classroom. I'm not sure if that's ok or not from a marketing standpoint.

Edited by Kiniest

kimidayo   

Today marks the start of Summer 2014!

With Free! - Eternal Summer- and Bakumatsu Rock, it seems that those fujoshi will be rather pleased.

Personally, I will not be picking up either of the two shows. But I wonder if you guys have any interest in them.

6 new shows will be out tomorrow; stay tuned for more information!

Edited by Kiniest

Is anyone here watching Nichijou? Also known as My Ordinary Life? It didn't do very well in Japan, but I believe western audiences love it. Myself included. It has so many random, off-the-wall sketches in every episode that I find myself laughing to tears!

• Like 1

Nighty   
Is anyone here watching Nichijou? Also known as My Ordinary Life? It didn't do very well in Japan, but I believe western audiences love it. Myself included. It has so many random, off-the-wall sketches in every episode that I find myself laughing to tears!

Actually, I recently started watching that show, and it's awesome!  I've never seen something that could take ordinary things and play them so hilariously over-the-top.  I wasn't aware that it did so poorly in Japan, though.  It's really a shame, and I hope that doesn't keep them from making more episodes.

• Like 2

Unfortunately it did. They're all done with it. A huge disappointment, I know. They did the most epic screams EVER on that show!

Another show that I am wondering if people saw is "Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day?"  I'm only asking because I just finished a straight marathon of all 11 episodes, and literally spent the last half-hour crying non-stop. I'm typing this message through blurred vision right now. I think it's more of a "happy" cry than a sad one. Definately up there with Clannad and Angel Beats*. Totally recommended!

*Individual experiences and opinions may vary. Contact your doctor if you cry for more than 4 hours straight. Curiouser and Curiouser is not liable for any damage done to you or your property while suffering from any blurred vision.

Edited by Curiouser and Curiouser

NylonZ   

well I've been watching Death Note which was I think was a great series and I also seen Full Metal Alchemist a while ago which I also really liked. I also been watching Digimon, also Hetalia and I do believe they are great series, in my opinion.

Only three anime series jump to my mind:

1. Digimon

2. Metabots

3. Ginga Densetsu Weed

I know it isn't much, but I am not that into anime, I have to watch either dubbed or subbed and I prefer dubbed because I feel it is easier for me to follow along, Ginga Densetsu Weed was the only subbed one I watched.

However, I did recently look into translated (to english) visual novels on PC (in .exe format)

kimidayo   

Only three anime series jump to my mind:

1. Digimon

2. Metabots

3. Ginga Densetsu Weed

I know it isn't much, but I am not that into anime, I have to watch either dubbed or subbed and I prefer dubbed because I feel it is easier for me to follow along, Ginga Densetsu Weed was the only subbed one I watched.

However, I did recently look into translated (to english) visual novels on PC (in .exe format)

Haha, you and the majority of the internet. If you aren't into it, you aren't into it. That's not a problem. I will add, though, that it's certainly a viable medium and if you ever feel the urge, give some more a try. While it's full of its cliches and is relatively new compared to other mediums, at least one really creative, groundbreaking show comes out a year. I will never cease to recommend Shinsekai Yori to fans and non-fans alike.

If you're going to look into visual novels, I'd recommend something lighthearted like Little Busters to begin with. If you want something easier to get into, you could try the famous Katawa Shoujo, which is made to be an entry level VN. Avoid straight-up melodrama and try to stay away from the most popular of the cradle.

On an offhand note, to this board in general: Avoid Akame ga Kill! like it's the second coming of the bubonic plague. Especially those of you who wish to write later on in life. It's a very shallow example of characterization, world building, and drama. The writer believes blood and gore makes it a higher level of storytelling, despite the fact you have no emotional connection to the world and its political corruption whatsoever.

Edited by Kiniest
  • Like 1

Haha, you and the majority of the internet. If you aren't into it, you aren't into it. That's not a problem. I will add, though, that it's certainly a viable medium and if you ever feel the urge, give some more a try. While it's full of its cliches and is relatively new compared to other mediums, at least one really creative, groundbreaking show comes out a year. I will never cease to recommend Shinsekai Yori to fans and non-fans alike.

If you're going to look into visual novels, I'd recommend something lighthearted like Little Busters to begin with. If you want something easier to get into, you could try the famous Katawa Shoujo, which is made to be an entry level VN. Avoid straight-up melodrama and try to stay away from the most popular of the cradle.

On an offhand note, to this board in general: Avoid Akame ga Kill! like it's the second coming of the bubonic plague. Especially those of you who wish to write later on in life. It's a very shallow example of characterization, world building, and drama. The writer believes blood and gore makes it a higher level of storytelling, despite the fact you have no emotional connection to the world and its political corruption whatsoever.

Alright, thanks! I will definitely look into those when I have the time! I kind of wish I was more into anime at least, but I had no clue where I would start.

kimidayo   

Alright, thanks! I will definitely look into those when I have the time! I kind of wish I was more into anime at least, but I had no clue where I would start.

Start with a genre you like. Everyone has an inclination to certain genres. If you like horror, tackle Higurashi or Parasyte. If you like fantasy, try something like Magi. Sci-Fi? Shinsekai Yori can't be beat. The easiest entry anime I can think of is Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which is only 12 episodes, well written and allegorical to a good extent.

And always keep in mind that if you don't happen to enjoy something that's well regarded, it's alright! I go around myanimelist.net on a daily basis, and nobody agrees on anything. You'll find tons of people who thought that Clannad: After Story, which has a 9.00 rating out of 10 based on 100000 users, was utter crap. Chances are, you'll eventually find something you like. In watching Guardians of the Galaxy (500$ Million Gross), and The Skeleton Twins (900000$ Gross), you'd be surprised at how easy it is to enjoy the latter just as much if not more. Similarly, the most popular, well renowned anime are not necessary going to be the ones you enjoy the most. 

Of course, if you have an inclination to other mediums, such as American television and movies, you don't have to spend a whole lot of time experimenting with something you're not all that interested/familiar with. 

But if you do, stray away from the terms "objective", "deep", and "philosophical". Because those are silly. I once ran into someone who passionately argued that Digimon was deep because of the Wonderswan games. 

Edited by Kiniest
  • Like 1

Kayab   

It's hard for me to watch whole anime, but i try to do this with naruto
I'm also glad about anime like Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and Inuyasha ^^

kimidayo   

It's hard for me to watch whole anime, but i try to do this with naruto

I'm also glad about anime like Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and Inuyasha ^^

Oh, man, you haven't even scratched the surface,