Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fawkes Fenrium

Cybernetic Tf Projects

What First?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the first Animal Tech created?

• Faux-Tail (Basis for a lot of the projects, and already set for Prototyping, May be done with another if not first.)
    • Faux-Hide (Hardest Project planned to date. Will take some serious "Black Magic" by which I mean time and expert help.)
    • Paw Shoes (Very Easy and Cheap, can probably be funded out of pocket with others done.)
    • Fox Ears (This is going to require some help, I need an animatronics designer to collaborate with.)
    • Live Eyes (More expensive to produce, but one of the most useful of the technologies to be created.)
    • Taur-Mech (This is the least likely to be picked from the sheer expense. If we do it, it will need serious backing.)

Myuu   

I will have to make another pair. Just basically modified plastic cone shapes (where one side is concave), then the outside is covered in furry fabric which is glued to the surface of the plastic and sewn at the edges (this is what makes them realistic). That leaves the inside of the plastic cone open for the auricle. Trimming is required to modify the fit, but once they are snug against the face the magnets (or velcro) can be placed inside to make them hold tight.

The Faux-Tail is the official first project, It will proceed Starting next year.

Addendum:

Paw Shoes are being prototyped on personal time.

Notable quotables from this:

“I understand these are some very big challenges for scientists, but I believe in something you call ‘The American Dream.’ If you put all your energy and time into something, you can make it a reality.â€

“Years ago, people didn’t believe the internet could work, I think of [(Itskov's version of) Project] Avatar in the same light. Right now, the idea is new and radical. It won’t always be that way.â€

- Dmitry Itskov

Newsflash (or as close to one as it gets round here):

Neurowear, behind the Necomimi, have started showing off prototypes of their next project: the Shippo!

http://neurowear.com/news/ remains quiet about it for now, but see below:

http://www.theverge....-hands-on-video

http://www.geek.com/...happy-20120924/

EDIT: here's another animatronic tail, albeit AFAIK without the brain control interface thingy.

Damarus   

While not specifically animal related, this shows how adaptable and precise modern cybernetic prosthetic limbs already are.

Kinda makes you think how close we could actually be..

Amazing piece of equipment. The only thing that would bug me a little (I'm pretty grateful to not need one myself) is having to change the thumb's position manually. The slow-ish movement is definitely something that can be adjusted over time, so that wouldn't annoy me too much. In one of my stories, the main character has both his arms replaced with bionics, so something like this is definitely something to research on when figuring out how all this stuff would work.

While not specifically animal related, this shows how adaptable and precise modern cybernetic prosthetic limbs already are.

Kinda makes you think how close we could actually be..

That's far from the most advanced.

There are fully mentally controlled prosthetics in existence.

And I've even heard of devices that allow the sensation of touch.

Both strictly prototypes of course.