Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Crusher

Tattoos And Fur...

Having difficulty imagining fur and tattoos in the same spot. just need a little help with the process of receiving a tattoo as a furry and the way your fur would respond after. How it would heal afterwords too.

The healing and receiving of a tattoo i imagined to be as simple as having our spot of fur removed, seeing your skin underneath, receiving the inking there. Once its done it would scab in a day or two. The fur would grow back, but what about the design? how would it show up on your fur? or is it simply a matter of imagining the design on your fur as coloring or a normal fur pattern?

Fur and tattoos would, in reality, be complicated. The system used on humans would be pretty useless, since just as your hair wouldn't change color if you shaved it, tattooed it, and then let it grow back, neither would fur. In some animals (I believe arctic hares are one example), if you shave off their fur in a spot and expose it to the cold, it will grow back black instead of white. Honestly, though, your best answer would be: It's fantasy anyway, so you can just say it's a tattoo and make up a convenient plot device that makes it work.

Or just say it's some sort of permanant die instead of a tattoo, which would make things a lot easier and acheive the same visual result.

I think we came up with an excuse for this in a roleplay once where rather than a needle colouring your skin in the way a permanent tattoo on humans would it actually 'damaged' the hair folicals (or fur) and gave you sort of monochome or greyscale style tattoos. Hair goes grey, why can't fur?

It was a legitimate excuse to get by our very strict RP group at the time..

On a side note why has my browser dictinary packed up..

Guest ottselkast

Wouldn't getting an airbrush tattoo work better on fur than the usual skin-coloring method? That way the ink would stain the fur with the applied colors.

That would be perfect for temporary tattoos on fur. Painting fur would be similar to dyeing hair and suitable for some good colourful tattoos. It wouldn't last forever though.

Guest ottselkast

I didn't figure it would but it could work temporarily is all I'm saying

to have a {flanged?} needle shooting in and out of your skin, easy enough to understand where the pain is coming from, my guess was that not only would the tatoo mark the skin, but it would also stain the fur permanently in the very pattern or image BECAUSE fur mimics the patterns on the skin if i understand correctly. does it not? In terms of camoflauge, winter coats, coat patterns, etc.? (*wiggles his paws*) jeez what a pain on black fur and other colors of fur of the same color dye... because of my black boots and gloves, i've reached an impass. a lot of the main colors are black. maybe black would show up white on fur? black on the skin. It's all very confusing and time consuming to ponder...

Maybe if the shaved portions became patches of discolored fur... nnngh.....

Guest Kitsunami

As above really.

The only thing i could add would be in a 'mystical' sense, stamping the image onto your characters body via spellcasting. Changing the fur so it grows in the color of the tattoo.

Kit's symbols are all clan markings, she was born with them.

I spose thad work. I was just going to say screw it and just go with "if i get them tatted there, they are there" excuse. Its much less of a brain problem if i use the same logic i'm using to TF.

Please excuse the obvious grammar lazy

Try not to double post, but we'll forgive the section its posted in because its sparked a decent discussion about how furries get tattoos.

I find it interesting so your safe ;)

Guest lakotalutrova

It's a legit question my friend and I get asked it all the time as my character has tattoos!

With my character, it was pretty much already embedded in the fur as a sort of "birthmark" so it makes a little bit more sense.

what if it puts the ink into the fur folicals instead of within the skin in order to act as a long acting dye.

the only problem is that it would probably be absorbed into the body which in turn could poisen said body.

hair dye would become popular very fast i'm sure with time, the demand would get the better of technology and some sort of permanent style of tattooing your fur would come out

Yea as far as imagining a tattoo i'd probably just see it as a different fur pattern... actually trying to tattoo fur I couldn't imagine anything other than temp coloring

Guest reese

Cool. I'm getting a tattoo next month and I wanted to know what that would be like

Guest ironfox

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. If we're looking at a permanent way to add a design or pattern to one's fur, maybe a sort of branding system should be in order.

I'd suspect there would be an effective way to do a more painless way to brand than in the olden days with a hot iron. Plus, you wouldn't have to deal with the relatively invasive procedure of dying every follicle.

Guest PrTheodose

I hope this topic isn't too old now, but I think to have a potential solution to tattoo fur in a semi-permanent way (lasting 3-12 months depending of shedding rate) with good precision : a capillary torch emitting an atmospheric pressure out-of-equilibrium oxygen-rich micro-plasma.

Capilary%20DBD%20on%20my%20Finger.jpg

To summarize quickly the physics behind this concept :

• A plasma is a gas that receive a sufficient amount of energy to 1) strip some of its atoms of their electrons giving positive ions and free electrons 2) break the gas molecules into unstable and reactive isolated atoms called radicals.
  • We have to distinguish between equilibrium/thermal/hot plasmas where both ions, electrons and atoms are at the same temperature (from 5eV to 15 keV with 1eV=11605°C) and out-of-equilibrium/non-thermal/cold plasmas where only the electrons are significantly heated while the ions and atoms remain at ambient temperature. Given a proportion of free electrons in the range of 1E-6 to 1E-4, the plasma emitted by the torch will be of the second type.
  • A plasma can be generated at atmospheric pressure using either a high-voltage discharge between two annular electrodes separated by a isolating tube (Dielectric Barrier Discharge) or a helical antenna that surrounds the plasma tube and emits a radio-frequency electromagnetic wave to heat the electrons (Inductively Coupled Plasma) . As illustrated by the photo above, the plasma plume is about 1 cm long and 100-250 µm wide.
  • Hair bleaching is often done with hydrogen peroxide H2O2 which breaks into OH* radicals. If the vector gas is enriched in oxygen, a large amount of oxygen ions and radicals (O+,O++,O*) will be generated.

So we could have a tool to bleach (but not colour) fur as precisely as with a traditional tattoo needle gun.