Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ottselkast

Transformational Literature

Guest outkast1728

Any books yall can recommend that have vivid descriptions of a main character transforming into someone or something else?

Well there is always the classic Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka........Actually an extremely interesting read if you haven't read it yet.

What if you woke up one day and were suddenly an insect unable to leave and despised by the family?

No transformation descriptions, but rather details of the experience...

There is a book by Bernard Doove, a popular furry writer. The book is rightfully called "Transformation". It's a good read and short. Only around 200 pages. It doesn't actually have the transformation sequence happen in detail, it just goes from the transformation onward. It details how a human man became a chakat, a herm cat-taur, and how he must cope with his new body. I bought it a while back. It's pretty interesting, but it doesn't describe the transformation feelings.

Guest KitsuneKit

Some Goosebumps books and some Choose Your Own Adventure books.

The Dragon and the George, by Gordon R Dickson (1976). I found it to be a quite entertaining narrative. Technically, it's part of the "Dragon Knight" series by the author, though I'm hesitant to acknowledge that because book two in the series didn't appear until 1990, and then nine more books in the series were published in the space of ten years. I consider the original the definitive one, though found a few of the others to be amusing reads. This original book is also notable because it was (strangely) merged with the speculative history book "The Flight of Dragons" by Peter Dickinson (1979) (very little was actually taken from this second book) to create the 1982 animated feature "The Flight of Dragons" (whose plot and characters are 95+% from The Dragon and the George.) It's worth a look and you could likely pick up a used paperback copy for pennies + S&H.

Piers Anthony's Xanth series is rife with transformation. Magic is essentially a unique talent each native of Xanth has, each person with a different magic-based ability. The protagonist of several books in the series have primary transformation talents (not shape-shifting per se, but becoming whatever it is they're transforming to). Again, this became a series, it wasn't clear early on if that was the intent and the writing was less self-aware of prior books, making it a stronger standalone narrative. I suggest the first four novels in the series (in order) as decent reads, after that you're on your own. :)

The only other one I can think to mention is Greg Egan's sci-fi novel, Permutation City. The basic premise is "what would happen if we could 'rip' our brains like CDs, download the contents to a computer-based human 'emulator' + VR. Pretty well-written, and full of ideas. Not animal transformation per se, more plasticity of mind and reality? Good read, maybe something you'd like.

Edit: just noticed the date on this thread. Sorry for following up on prior post's thread necromancy, hope I added enough content to justify.

Guest Kado

Blood Music by Greg Bear is a great read for more theoretical transformation. It follows a scientist who injects himself with one-celled organisms to which he has granted sentience, and they slowly change him into a sentient colony of cells. It's a very strange book, but still a good read.

Guest German Shepherd

Wereworld  series by curis jobling  has a lot of transformation sequences. not all of them are in great detail but is a very good read. also the book NightLife by Brian hodge again not many detailed transformations but I counted 4 - 6 in the book