Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rynn

The World Spun Backwards: Reboot

Not saying anything, Atrus followed the two away from the lake. Hmm. This could prove to be a most interesting trip. Making sure his spark key was tied tightly, he jogged for a bit to catch up.

The journey proceeded for about two days without event, the group making their way through the mountain road, finally reaching the other side. The day they left the pass was rather sunny, and there was a soft breeze blowing steady from the west. The road had widened, but strangely there was little traffic for what was clearly up until recently a well traveled stretch of road.

"How odd... I would have at least expected to have run into a few traveling merchants on this road, but I haven't seen anyone since we the bandits a few days ago," Yuki pondered as they continued, the sun high and hot thought the thin forest canopy, as they reached a small brook "You two want to stop and have lunch? This seems like a nice spot to rest for a bit."

"Such nice weather, it's amazing how much better it is on this side of the mountain. The whole time we were in the pass it was gloomy," Yuki relaxed against a tree, chewing on a slice of dried apple. After finishing her brief snack, she moved over to the river and bent down to wash her face when a strong breeze blew through the trees and down the path from the west. It carried an unpleasant, but familiar scent. She stood up with a disturbed look on her face, "I smell blood and fire... I don't think it's fresh, but there's a lot of both. It's coming from right where we're heading..."

Atrus was already standing at the river bank, some green energy sparking across his left hand. Letting the energy build a bit, he thrust the hand outward to the lake. The spark hopped off his hand, entering the water and becoming significantly brighter as it traced quickly around underwater. As this happened, several smaller green sparks could be seen popping up from the surface of the river. After about ten seconds of this, Atrus seemed satisfied, and brought his hand back, which seemed to recall the green energy back into him.

Holding out his right hand this time, suddenly a collection of fish lifted from the river in different points, and gathered over to Atrus, who held them between the arms. "I'm great at killing my own food, but I have to admit I'm a mess when it comes to cleaning them," he said shyly as he walked back from the river. Looking up into he trees, several collections of leaves suddenly came flying down, and pressed themselves into a sort of mat, which he set the fish across, looking hungrily down at them.

"Klaus, I imagine the reason it's smell is bad would be the same reason that whatever the thing in question is bad. However, that's a particularly vast assumption," he said, dangling one of the fish above his mouth and dropping it in up to the tail, before snapping shut. Pulling out the tail to reveal a fish skeleton, he neatly set this down to start a row of them, making a gesture to imply that both Yuki and Klaus were welcome to the fish. "I'm afraid I must ask again, Miss Yuki, where is it exactly that we're heading?"

Yuki sat back down, deciding that it could probably wait till after lunch, and more than likely it was bandits. Still, she couldn't help but be worried, "We're heading to the site of an ancient city by the name of Seattle, it should only be another day or two west of here. It's probably a trading town of some sort now, judging by the path, though I can't say I know for sure. I'm a little concerned that something might have happened though, seeing as we've passed so little traffic. Oh, and thanks, though I like to cook mine first," she smiled and gathered some sticks and twigs, and striking a metal rod against some flint they quickly were alight. She speared the fish with another stick and rested it over the fire.

As the fish cooked, she climbed up into a nearby tree, and looked out from the top, noticing the source of the smoke and scent of blood out beyond the edge of the woods, coming from a village, "Hmm... judging by the damage I can see from here it was probably bandits, though we're too far away to be certain," she jumped down and landed next to the fire, "I suppose we'll find out, the road goes straight through it."

"Oh no, not at all. I just find certain fish taste better when you cook them over a wood fire. Where I live raw fish is actually a delicacy. Speaking of, I think this should be about done," she pulled the stick out of the ground and started to eat.

"Well, I suppose you could say I live east, since I traveled west to come here. However if the world were all land, it would be far more direct to walk west after coming this far. I live in the northern part of a very large island called Honshu in a trading and farming village not too far from the sea. It's taken me almost ten years of nonstop travel to get here," she smiled, but there was a certain sadness behind it, "Anyway, that's enough about my past, what about you Atrus?"

Atrus looked over at Yuki, a fish halfway out of his mouth at that point. Looking back at the river and taking a few seconds to think, he finished pulling the second set of fish bones out of his mouth, and promptly finished eating. "Oh, I just sort of... wander around. I don't think my birthplace is even there anymore," the strange crocodile said quietly, keeping his face turned. It appeared as if something else was on his mind at the moment.

"Klaus," he said, turning back around, the same goofy grin once again on his face. "You said you were from the east. Where from exactly? I feel I've been around this continent quite a bit."

Yuki's ears perked, eyes narrowing a little "St. Louis? I'm impressed that a human would know the name of a city that stood some 900 years ago. How did you come across that name?"

"I see..." she relaxed a bit, the brief surprise subsiding and her face returning to its normal soft, but unrevealing look , 'It seems I've run into a rather interesting bunch. Just who is this human...'.

"You know what /I/ think?" Tsubasa started to go off one one of her tangents.

"Tsubasa, if I knew what you thought you wouldn't have to tell..." she remembered that the two were still around her, though assumed they probably didn't speak Japanese and had no idea what she was saying, "Oh, I'm sorry. This isn't the first time I've done this, is it? I suppose I should explain so you don't think that I've lost my mind. Through an unfortunate series of incidents, I have a ghost bound to me."

**Just a side note, from now on I'm going to use brown for when Tsubasa is speaking, and orange when Yuki is speaking a different language so as to avoid confusion.**

She just repeated herself, gaze glowing slightly cold, "An unfortunate series of incidents. If we're done eating, we should get going. I'm curious to see what happened up ahead," she stood up and slipped her sword back in her belt, and stirred the fire into the dirt with a stick.

"As am I," said Klaus, putting away his sketchbook. He shivered slightly. Yuki's cold gaze had flustered him somewhat, and he didn't want to irritate her. He'd seen what powers she had, and was grateful that she was on his side.

Not saying anything, Atrus balanced himself on his arms, and stretched out some before standing upright. Leaning back down, he cleaned up all the fish bones, choosing to bury them in the ground. "Right. Onwards then?"

Walking out a little ahead of the other two, the serious look remained, though for a different reason now. Almost as soon as they emerged from the forest she had the feeling that she was being watched, and was trying to stay on guard, "Don't let yourselves be caught, especially you Klaus. Something tells me this area might be dangerous. You're under no obligation to follow me. In fact once we get to Seattle tomorrow, you should probably distance yourself from me. If who I'm looking for is there, I'm almost certain to come under attack."

They reached after about ten minutes of walking in open land. It looked as though it was a trading village, as the farms surrounding it were small and there appeared to be what was left of a bunch of shops. However, the area was deserted, and many of the buildings were smoldering, probably having burned down the night before, "I'd guess this was probably a stop on the way to where we're going up until a few days ago... but something bothers me," she looked around, not seeing any bodies even. On top of this nothing had been looted from the remaining buildings, "Something is wrong here. It seems like they just killed the people... if it had been a man-eating spirit there would at least be bones, but there's nothing left at all, just blood stains. What could have happened..."

Guest MasterBlade

"I can think of something."

A strange chill befell the others as the voice spoke out. From behind the small group emerged a mysterious figure, walking into the village center. He investigated a patch of bloodstained ground, murmuring to himself. "So they've been here too. It appears as though I was too late." Rather than turn to the others and explain himself, the man simply went around the village square, investigating the other occurrences of goreless blood. When this was done, he placed a small cross in the village center. "May the dead rest in peace, and the reborn find their own."